Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: New winch on my XC-01 Brat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Talking New winch on my XC-01 Brat

I am the original owner of this XC Wrangler converted to a Brat. I run class 1 scale comps with it... finally got off my butt and installed a servo winch where the MSC servo would have gone back when it was new. (it also has a GRU and lift kit and a bunch of other fun stuff)

I installed a toggle switch to be able to cut power to the winch while I am driving (and not stuck) It also acts as a scale shifter. (Yes I am proud of all my rock rash on the body )

I was able to squeeze a 3 racing winch fairlead (from a broken winch) down under the body just above where the front brick used to be.

Tested it by hooking it to the upper kitchen cabinets and pulling.... yep picked the front end right up.

Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #2

what gru are you using?
rhowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Any pics with the body off to see how it works. I have done the same thing and just want to compare to see if I can improve mine at all.
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I can take pictures in a bit for those of you who want it. (just give me a day or 2)

I am using a GD 600??? maybe GRU. Its a 2.5 to 1 designed for an airplane from Great Planes. I had to turn down the output shaft ghetto style, and I actually ended up bending the output last time I got the truck stuck and tangled up in some weeds.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Talking

Ok here is my setup. Its not all bolted in right now because I am repairing the geartrain.

Left to right:

The pink thing is a receiver cover, then the old school nicad pack, The motor bolted to the GRU unit, the BEC and FX-R just to the passenger side of the motor, the steering servo on top (this is an OG Wrangler originally if you new CC01 people think the steering linkage is backwards... it is... its an XC01). The winch servo is bolted down in the bottom where the MSC servo would have normally gone. That big silver front cross piece in front both holds a ball end for the winch line to pass through plus holds up the stock brat front body mount.

The motor has 0 degrees of timing... so to deal with the reverse rotation caused by the GRU... you can see that I just swapped the red and black plugs on motor. Yes I know my connectors are old school... but they are SO modular that I love em.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #6

is that meccano in there?
genius!

i was wondering where i would find some parts and you've just made me realize i have a whole toolbox full of the stuff.
shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yep Mechano / Erector is what I use to hold both the front AND rear body mounts. As well as the fairlead.