Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Hello fellow CC-01'ers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #1

Default Hello fellow CC-01'ers

Hello all. Just introducing myself. I've been looking at this site for a while before signing up, after deciding what to get and what upgrades to make, I bought and built my first RC truck. The build was lots of fun, and I think the quality was great, and it was good lo know what to start with for one.

Basically, it's a stock build, aside from bearings upgrade, and a custom mounting hardware with magnets, even though I heard good and bad things about mounting with magnets. I'm going for a 1:1 replica look, as there are some great ones on here!

I guess you could say I'm a glutton for punishment, I have not locked either rear, or put my better steering servo in yet, but I like to get a feel for it so I know how valuable the upgrades are to the performance.

Eventually, I see a better motor, the steering upgrades, the 4 link upgrades, the bike tire wheel well/mud flaps, and who knows. I'd love to do a complete interior and cool scale accessories, but one thing at a time.

So nice to meet you, and hopefully I'll be around on the site from time to time. Heres a photo or 2 or 3 of the truck as is now!

Thanks!

I'll get some outdoor shots soon!

Jay
jay*doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #2

welcome and great looking truck. Man I want one so bad, but first need to sell my comic collection.....lol
nick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Good start with a clean truck! Good job with the magnets- never tried it before. Velcro can work well, but be a bit tricky. Whatever it takes to keep from cutting holes in the body!
.bg. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #4

Nice looking truck!! You have the right idea too.....give it a go for a while, then look at what upgrades you might want to toss in at your leisure!
Looking forward to updates/pics as you install them, along with your thoughts on each upgrade!!!!
roadog1aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #5

Thanks guys! I'm taking it out in the AM on it's first real test ride, I've only put about 10 minutes on it so far in my flat, grass covered back yard. I've scouted out a few spots to try and see what it's capable of in it's current state. I like the idea of building it up piece by piece as to better understand why certain upgrades are done and hopefully, have a spot or 2 to use as before and after comparisons.

jay
Old 06-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #6

So I had it out yesterday afternoon, and the driveshaft and pinion gear (on the motor) already worked themselves loose. It was just the set screw that needed tightening, but it was much faster then I expected to need to tighten it.

Today I found an awesome spot to play in, it has dirt trails, places for crawling, big hills and an area big enough to share with nitro guys if they wanted!

The truck on the trails did great! I completely see the importance of a locked rear now, and also the need for better tires, but I am still going to play as is for a little while. I had some tire rub on the front fenders and lost a little paint, but I intend on painting some areas underneath black for realism, so no biggie.

Here are a few shots from it's first off road adventure.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay*doc View Post
So I had it out yesterday afternoon, and the driveshaft and pinion gear (on the motor) already worked themselves loose. It was just the set screw that needed tightening, but it was much faster then I expected to need to tighten it.

Same first two problems I had with my CC01 as well. Hit 'em with some loctite and you won't have them again!
.bg. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #8

Thanks, I'll try that! I'm very new at this, so any little bits of advice like that are good. I also saw in RC Driver that if you need to ever loosen a bolt with Loc-Tite on it, that you can use a soldering iron on the screw to help soften the Loc-Tite and back out the screw. Has anyone tried that? With this truck being so new and I know mods are going to happen, I worry about making anything on it too permanent.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
RCC Addict

There are several levels of loctite from permanent lock to very loose. The one you want is the blue locktite or Zap Z-42 medium hold. Use only on metal to metal because this will erode plastic. You will not need heat to remove the screw.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cc-01, fj-40, scaler, stock, tamiya