Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Gear box Faults?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #1

Default Gear box Faults?

Has any one had gearbox problems?

The large gear driven directly by the motor is causing problems after a strip down, clean and regrease.

Thought the motor was meshing too much as when I force it away slightly, the noise disappears.

Could the chassis be twisted? Mine doesnt have a crawler motor in as of yet, but has taken a hard knock, and with me stripping it down, the chassis has finally twisted.

Very much doubt the shaft could be bent as it doesnt rotate so shouldnt cause an issue.

Have tried repositioning the spur gear and the noise is still there.

Any help would be great people.

Carl
carlos2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Make sure everything is seated properly and nothing is binding. How did you twist the Tub chassis? Have any pictures?
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Check the gear cover as well. The screws can strip and not hold the gears firmly in place. The way to remedy this is to get longer screws that go straight through and bolt the other end for a tight fit.

Cheers Jarrod
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustykaos View Post
Check the gear cover as well. The screws can strip and not hold the gears firmly in place. The way to remedy this is to get longer screws that go straight through and bolt the other end for a tight fit.
This is the most likely reason.

Also look at your pinion gear. If its all pointy (worn teeth) then it can cause issues too, and strip the spur pretty fast.
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Oppan Gangnam Style

I'd recomend doing a 32p conversion (if you search there's a link somewhere, just cant remember at the moment). ihave been running mine with a 17.5 brushless on 3s with no issues after the 32p conversion. The stock motor plate on mine allowed the motor to move under power causing the pinion to move away from the spur. I solved that by making my own motor plate (not necessary) out of aluminum which is thicker and indexes in the cover very tight.

I also helicoiled the screw holes for the gear cover in the chassis for M3 machine screw thread since I seem to be removing the gear cover alot to clean out the water/debris.

Hope this helps.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Oppan Gangnam Style

Found it.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...ght=pitch+gear
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
Make sure everything is seated properly and nothing is binding. How did you twist the Tub chassis? Have any pictures?
Sorry, im just guessing if the chassis has finally twisted when the G-box cover was taken off.

No pics unfortunatley, basic running in the garden, hit a paving stone which was too high but couldnt see it at the time, also took a knock when lost radio signal and it sped off up the garden.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies every one,

I can get an ally motor plate for about £10, try it out and see what happens, have also been told that the motor gets hot and can warp the mount, I did notice that the motor was getting pretty hot.

Will also fit longer screws.

Willlet you know how it goes as soon as I get my night shifts out the way, once again, thanks for the replies!

Carl