Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC01 custom motor mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default CC01 custom motor mount

Hi there,

I've been rc'ing since the early 80s and moved into crawlers about 2 years ago.
Currently i've just purchased a jeep on the tamiya cc01 chassis and have read quite a few threads about this and that regarding what motor to use, brushless, brushed, what pinion to use etc etc. I'm not interested in turning my cc01 into a proper crawler as i already have one. However i think it moves way too fast.

I am using a 55T brushed motor with stock esc and its fine but what i think would really aid most people with this chassis is more flexibility with the pinion gear selection.
Its clear to me that almost nobody is bothering with the 20T pinion - as the 16T is too fast for "scale" applications anyway.
I am looking for a custom motor mount, so I can try out say 11T pinion or thereabouts. I think this coupled with a high turn motor would just about sort out speed vs torque issues. I have looked on ebay, and through quite a postings, but haven't seen one yet.
Is anybody here interested in making one for their cc01 or has anyone found a manufacturer who is selling one?
Thanks for helping or suggestions. I am a noob here, but not rc. I am a qualified Electronics technician too so can help out with electronics theory or questions of an electronics nature if anyone needs help there.
oo C64 oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: CC01 custom motor mount

...just try a GRU unit...I'm in the same situation with you...I'm gathering info for my second CC-01 build (first was a Touareg with speed in mind)...now I want a scale rig, with torque and low speed...
Still an advice for what GRU (what ratio) to use with 55T will be welcomed...the HPI is the inexpensive way (I think this one ...the RC4WD is the direct bolt fit...
cornel4web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
RCC Addict

the 4:1 rc4wd GRU with the 80t rc4wd was finally slow enough for me. (about as slow as my 55t axial rig)
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

...thanks...
cornel4web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Robinson Racing makes Tamiya specific hardened steel .6 module pinions down to 12T and up to 24T. They last forever and are usually cheaper than Tamiya pinions. VERY worth looking at. Any local hobby shop should be able to order these in for you.

Jim
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The problem is that the CC01 motor mount only allows mounting for 2 types of pinion, 16T and 20T. A custom mount would be good but would have to have set mounting points for certain pinion sizes as you cant see the mesh with the cover on and the cover is needed to hold the mount.

Cheers Jarrod
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

RC4WD 2:1 GRU, 16t pinion, Integy 35t on 2s lipo, problem solved.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Hey everyone thank you so much for your posts. I've been away on work for ages. What I did do was buy an Ansmann 80T motor and for the time being it is really nice and smooth. Definitely not in the territory of my Axial Ax10 scorprion but way better scale drivability. I was looking into those GRU's but from all the pictures i've seen it distracts from the main appearance of the vehicle as one has to "chop" away to fit these into the chassis. To RustyKaos, i agree that we can't see the gears or mesh to align it, but i figured someone with some experience at this could make a mount that would allow for a range of movements, ie 9T, 10T, 11T, 12T with pre-drilled holes. I assume that some of this would be trial and error until they got it right, but i'm sure there are a few people out there who have this chassis that may be "wrecked" and there is no more use for it, so they may be willing to experiment this way. I remember a few years ago with the Tamiya Frog, someone had made a custom pinion mount that overcome the stock standard fittings that came with that vehicle also.. Anyway thank you everyone for your posts, very much appreciated.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Why not take something like a stock or aftermarket motor mount, drill holes that are aligned vertically, rather then horizontally and file them into slots that would allow the motor to move in and out a little? There might be some issue with the part of the gear cover that covers the end of the motor, but I can't see them being insurmountable.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Hi there again, MonkeyRacing, that is a fantastic idea and i'm going to try it out. I think i'll see if i can get a spare mount of ebay and go from there. I'll let everyone know how i go and post up some pics once its happening. Regarding the gear cover, i'll just experiment for the time being till something suits.
Cheers for all the replies..
Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
RCC Addict

They need a system like the Losi Comp and Night Crawler have. It's an aluminum ring that is offset. You put the motor in and then twist it to put it closer or farther from the spur. Once the desired placement is achieved you tighten the top bracket so it can't move. Look into that. Then it would easy to do in a drop in style and fully adjustable. We just need someone to machine us a piece we can bold in with a couple screws. Might have to dremel out the plastic a bit to fit it, but I would be ok with that.
Tin Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I run rc4wd 4 to 1 reduction, 35-turn, rooster crawl, NIHM 6or7 cell and it's too slow for a non-crawler. Wish went with 2or3 to 1. I used to run an ancient tamiya touring car(drive shaft ran cross top front to back), it had a similar motor
mount set up. Also had aluminum mount with lot of pinion options, and two different spur gear clusters. So tamiya what are you waiting on?
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I am running a GRU with a 45t motor. That doesn't mean I like it. :-) The GRU is freakin noisy! Besides, i would like some speed, and pinions are cheaper then motors and GRU's. :-)
Tin Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Hi all, sorry been away from forum for ages. My main concern when originally posting this was to keep the Jeep looking neat by not having to hack away at plastic etc to fit in a GRU. I have been using (reasonably successfully) an Amnsmann 80T stock motor and its quite powerful and the Jeep tyres don't stop turning like they did with a 55T when they hit a log head on or something similar.

I noticed on Ebay the other day you can now buy 100T motors. This should really do away with the need for GRU for most people. I am happy enough with my setup for now, but really appreciate all the input everyone has put in esp Tin Soldiers suggestion above...This would really enable some pinion swapping action, which I think everyone would enjoy..Since last post, I have installed from RC4WD a 90mm set of shocks in the rear and boy has this helped clear obstacles that were getting in the way..I also added a rear suspension metal upgrade kit(forget its name) for about $25 bucks. Very worthwhile mod. I also bought but since removed a metal steering kit which had bearings in it etc, but found it to be worse than stock steering. Also added high torque servo and think that is worth the $35...

Anyway I have just bought and waiting for an Axial XR10 kit to arrive so that should keep me busy over the silly season. Out of interest for anyone thinking about the 80T motor I am using, I get about 1.5 hours of fun with a 5000MaH NiMH with it with lights turned on and occasional "winch" action with my 3 ch transmitter (spektrum), which I am totally happy with...I am using the car on my block which is predominately bush/forest so its offroading the whole time.

Anyway cheers from this nooooob, and Happy Holidays and beer drinking for all..

Last edited by oo C64 oo; 12-17-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
cc-01, cc01, tamiya jeep

CC01 custom motor mount - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Racing Motor Mount Hits Spur Mount HELP!! RevoRacer Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 05-08-2008 06:06 PM
a custom mount for the battery and other custom mods for the ax10 axial ax10 no#1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 10-08-2007 06:16 AM