Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: 65T Lathe getting VERY hot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 65T Lathe getting VERY hot

I already mentioned about this problem in my Pajero topic, but as this seems so mysterious i thought that i ask if anyone else has had the same problem.

So, i have CC-01 Pajero and the stock motor was replaced with Integy Lathe 65T motor. ESC is Axial AE-2 and i use 2S lipo.

I was driving yesterday and after about an hour of driving the car seemed to lose some of its torque and power. When i took the body of and put my finger on the motor, it was so hot that i couldnt keep my finger on it more than just a few seconds.
I let it cool down for 10 minutes and continued driving. Now it seemed that some of the lost torque and power came back but after 15 minutes of driving, i lost them again and again, the motor was hot.

Can this really happen with this car or do i have a faulty motor in my hands? Its brand new, never driven before.
Also, never in my SCX10 ive had any kind of temperature problems even with faster motors and 3S lipos, so this seems very strange.

Any help/advice??
FinCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 65T Lathe getting VERY hot

i know the rc4wd motors when they get hot that i had in my cc-01s it would almost seem like i had 50% power.

i dont know how cluttered your cc-01 is but i even drilled extra vent holes in the chassis for the motor and she still would get hot. but i live in the desert and that was only with hardcore crawlin.

are you getting that hot with just normal drivig? if so id think maybe it just doesnt like that motor/esc combo

or was that hardcore driving you were doing?
greggreg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

or maybe you accidently did something wrong with motor mount or pinion and mesh is way to tite. id also check everywhere for binding
greggreg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Have you gone for the 16t pinion? Even an 80t motor gets hot in a CC01 with the 20t, the gearing is way too high.

I'd definitely check to see if anything binds once it warms up, and check your motor mount isn't warping once it heats up, that will make it worse too. The alloy motor mount is probably the first mod I would do, closely followed by the steering and then swap the rear links for steel or alloy ones.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Just something to check, is the timing on the motor correct?

I ask because the last two Integy Lathe motors I've gotten had about ten degrees of negative timing out of the package, and that'll make them run hot.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Just start tracking from the motor, through the gearbox, axles, wheel bearings...

Check the timing on the motor, if that's not it then pull it and reinstall the gear cover.
Do the gears and wheels spin freely? If not, pull a gear, replace cover, repeat until no gears are left.
Still binding with just axles and wheel bearings?

You get the idea. Just the process of elimination.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Gear ratio, gear ratio, gear ratio. I used 4:1 gear reduction and a 35-turn turning 2.2's, barely warm. Its too slow for me, too much reduction. But a 2:1 probably be better... Could always put fan on it. The grinding you have to do to get GRU to fit will also vent it a little more.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

65T Lathe getting VERY hot - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lathe 55T or 65t allrise2005 Electronics 4 11-27-2006 12:23 PM
65t lathe and gd600? WestCoastPJ Newbie General 12 04-17-2006 08:49 AM
65t lathe motors coyotekiller_kam Electronics 1 03-25-2006 02:27 PM
65T Lathe CAUTION old_dog Electronics 15 02-16-2006 03:02 PM