Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Feasability discussion; CC01 or XC as a drift truck chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Feasability discussion; CC01 or XC as a drift truck chassis?

So I've been wanting to build a scale drift truck for a while now. I want to make it a cab-only flatbed using RC4WD's 1.9" aluminum dually wheels. I thought I had settled on using an HPI Sprint 2 for the chassis and just doing my best to build the flatbed to hide the non-scale independent rear suspension. But then I rembered Tamiya's common ifs/solid rear scale-ready chassis, and started looking at the specs. Much to my surprise, the XC/CC01 chassis measures up almost identically to the HPI Sprint 2 Drift chassis in terms of width and wheelbase - meaning it should be a stable chassis to build a drift car out of. The problem is, I have no experience with the XC/CC01 chassis. If I started with the Sprint 2, I'd be assured that it would be a solid drifting performer out of the box, but it wouldn't be as scale as I was hoping for. If I use the XC/CC01 chassis, I could leave more of the rear suspension exposed since it would be more true to scale. I'm just not sure how well it would do as a drifting chassis.

So, if anyone here owns both an XC/CC01 chassis and a set of 1.9" drifting tires, would you be willing to quickly bolt up the drift tires to the chassis and just give it a quick spin for me? I don't expect it to be competition-ready just by swapping out the tires, but it should give me a good idea of whether or not the XC/CC01 is even a viable candidate to start with. I expect I would have to do some suspension tuning with whatever chassis I choose to start with, I'm just trying to see if it would be possible at all to make the XC/CC01 a reliable drifter.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated - pictures, videos, discussion, etc. Anything helps at this point. Thank you in advance!

For a reference point, I've attached a picture of what I'd like the truck to somewhat end up looking like once it's all finished being built;

Rudukai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

You might enjoy these... http://youtu.be/0AoXRKnrX1E
http://youtu.be/8pt93Ku6JbI

Go to YouTube and enter "cc01 drift". There are a few good ones on there!

Last edited by monkeyracing; 05-26-2013 at 03:30 AM.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Feasability discussion; CC01 or XC as a drift truck chassis?

there is a build thread around here somewhere where a fella took a hilux cab and mounted it to a cc-01 chassie. they then cut he chassie in half right under the cab and replaced it with the back half of an scx10 ladder frame. looking at your inspiration pictures, i think that is a thread you should totes look at. just instead of a hilux cab, go lexan chevy.

also thatwas an awesome movie, and this will be an awesome project. deff do a build thread here

*Power To The Portal (Makeover)

post 51 i believe.

Last edited by Koldham; 05-26-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Koldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

A buddy of mine used a cc01 chassis with a HPI 510 body and made a great drifter.

[edit: here is his build thread : http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48960 ]

Last edited by pantablo; 05-28-2013 at 12:09 AM.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Would be nice if all the pics still work.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Build 3 of my CC01 Fest. Don't have any details posted yet (still working on Build 2) but experimenting around and so far so good. Add some internal limiters to the shocks or put on some smaller touring ones. Maybe a swaybar in the back.

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Feasability discussion; CC01 or XC as a drift truck chassis? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
high lift drift truck neon9 1.9 Scale Rigs 17 03-12-2012 08:01 PM
my new drift truck briansbodies Non Crawler RC's 20 06-13-2010 04:01 PM
Skyline truck drift chino63 Chit Chat 7 01-15-2008 01:55 AM