Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC-01 Hook up help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #1

Default CC-01 Hook up help

Hey guys... so I'm relatively new to RC cars.. I bought and built 3 of them when I was 10-13, but now I'm 34. I own a 1:1 FJ and I'm super stoked for the Tamiya FJ release. Prior to this announcement, I was researching building my own FJ via a SCX-10 chassis. I know that the SCX-10 is usually considered a better chassis, but I've been told that the CC01 is pretty capable with the right ho up parts... so I guess my question is. What are the right parts?

Can you guys point me in the right direction for best bang for the buck parts?

I've seen the RC Channel stuff... looks pretty good. Is it Legit or is it all show?

I'd love to re-create my own FJ.

RichLPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: CC-01 Hook up help

Definitely get a steering upgrade and an aluminum 4-link for the rear. Another must are ball bearings (don't know if the FJ kit will include them, but I doubt it). Don't go crazy purchasing aluminum hop ups right away.
csb510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb510 View Post
Definitely get a steering upgrade and an aluminum 4-link for the rear. Another must are ball bearings (don't know if the FJ kit will include them, but I doubt it). Don't go crazy purchasing aluminum hop ups right away.
Yes... I was looking at the aluminum suspension and axle from RC channel. I think they also have a skid, but the picture is not displaying, so I don't know what it looks like. I see that they also have front suspension stuff.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The ally parts are mostly bling, not much benefit. Rigid links are good, and longer shocks for the rear. I made my own links with threaded rod and brass tubing, but the aluminum link kits are nice. I would say you will want some tires and beadlocks. Some 1.55 wheels/tires from RC4WD would probably look great on that FJ. As noted, the steering upgrade and bearings are a must.
83GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GT View Post
The ally parts are mostly bling, not much benefit. Rigid links are good, and longer shocks for the rear. I made my own links with threaded rod and brass tubing, but the aluminum link kits are nice. I would say you will want some tires and beadlocks. Some 1.55 wheels/tires from RC4WD would probably look great on that FJ. As noted, the steering upgrade and bearings are a must.
So the front aluminum suspension parts don't really do anything?

By rigid links? you mean the 4 link setups like this..

CC01 4-Link suspension conversion with skid plate [J100210] : JunFac.com

Can you link to the steering upgrades and bearings?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

There aren't a lot of manufacturers making upgrades for the CC01, but here is a link for one- CC01 - GPM RC Car Hop-Up Parts:TAMIYA,KYOSHO,HPI,TEAM LOSI,TRAXXAS,ASSOCIATED,ATECH,ANDERSON RACING,CEN,OFNA,PIKTOR MWI,RADIO SHACK,X-WAY

I have also had really good luck with 55t motors because imo the stock Tamiya silver can is way to fast for any scale driving.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Here is a link to my Army FJ build. It isn't as detailed of a build thread since I blasted through it but you can see some of the upgrades. I'd be willing to help you out in any way building it up.

TeeYota FJC

You are comparing apples to oranges when you are talking SCX10 set up vs the IFS CC-01.
Things to consider
1- What will be the purpose/use of your new RC?
2-Are you going to compete?
3-Do you want something more capable than the next guy?
4-How accurate to the 1.1 do you want it to be?
5- are you going to use it just for fun and bashing around?

So if you are looking for a competitive scaler then the SCX10 set up is great. But remember the Axial axles are WIDE and you need a 0 or - offset wheel to bring in track width (if you want the tires tucked under the fenders). Also you would need to make custom drivelines and links as the wheelbase (wb) is much greater than that on the CC-01 and my guess is the FJ body will yield a 10.5ish inch wb. since I think the 1.1 version is 105 inches, that would bring it to 1/10th scale. The CC-01 has two wb settings with the kit. 9.5 or 10.5. The CC-01 with its IFS and lockable rear axle is more true to scale and the CC-01 set up, though not the most capable comp scaler, is one of the most fun and durable set ups I have owned. You can gear it down with a gear reduction unit to "crawl" much slower too. Lock the rear axle and even lock the front (there are many ways to do this). The biggest issue with this chassis is the steering. There are ball bearing steer kits avail but only reduce the slop slightly. But it isn't awful to begin with. The CC-01 kit is a great beginner platform. Your 1.1 rig would be very easy to duplicate. It might be tough to get the exact wheels but you can get something very close. I hope this helped you. You could always start with a CC-01 and tinker with it and then when you are more comfortable, buy an SCX10 and build a solid axle FJC. Or buy parts from places like RC4WD and and have a custom chassis made and go nuts. It is endless.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you need help. My suggestion, if you buy a CC-01 kit is buy some upgrades so you can install them as you build the kit. Ex: the steering upgrade and I would get rid of the plastic rear link set up. The RC channel set up is nice but is more than the whole kit. Id buy the Junfac 4 link rear with the skid plate which will help with getting hung up on rocks. Suspension is endless. RC4WD even has mini OME yellow shocks!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
Here is a link to my Army FJ build. It isn't as detailed of a build thread since I blasted through it but you can see some of the upgrades. I'd be willing to help you out in any way building it up.

TeeYota FJC

You are comparing apples to oranges when you are talking SCX10 set up vs the IFS CC-01.
Things to consider

So if you are looking for a competitive scaler then the SCX10 set up is great. But remember the Axial axles are WIDE and you need a 0 or - offset wheel to bring in track width (if you want the tires tucked under the fenders). Also you would need to make custom drivelines and links as the wheelbase (wb) is much greater than that on the CC-01 and my guess is the FJ body will yield a 10.5ish inch wb. since I think the 1.1 version is 105 inches, that would bring it to 1/10th scale. The CC-01 has two wb settings with the kit. 9.5 or 10.5. The CC-01 with its IFS and lockable rear axle is more true to scale and the CC-01 set up, though not the most capable comp scaler, is one of the most fun and durable set ups I have owned. You can gear it down with a gear reduction unit to "crawl" much slower too. Lock the rear axle and even lock the front (there are many ways to do this). The biggest issue with this chassis is the steering. There are ball bearing steer kits avail but only reduce the slop slightly. But it isn't awful to begin with. The CC-01 kit is a great beginner platform. Your 1.1 rig would be very easy to duplicate. It might be tough to get the exact wheels but you can get something very close. I hope this helped you. You could always start with a CC-01 and tinker with it and then when you are more comfortable, buy an SCX10 and build a solid axle FJC. Or buy parts from places like RC4WD and and have a custom chassis made and go nuts. It is endless.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you need help. My suggestion, if you buy a CC-01 kit is buy some upgrades so you can install them as you build the kit. Ex: the steering upgrade and I would get rid of the plastic rear link set up. The RC channel set up is nice but is more than the whole kit. Id buy the Junfac 4 link rear with the skid plate which will help with getting hung up on rocks. Suspension is endless. RC4WD even has mini OME yellow shocks!

Yea... after doing some research, I think the CC01 will be fine for my purposes.

It'll definitely be built for fun.

I don't think I'd compete.... but who knows, I definitely could see myself doing some sort of Recon G6 thing, even if just for fun.

As I've done more research, I don't think I'm too concerned with it being more capable than anyone else. I'm actually kind of getting interested in it being as accurate as possible to my 1:1 FJ.... so the IFS of the CC01 chassis is cool to me. There's also a part of my personality that likes making more out of something that isn't supposed to be the best.

I want to paint it accurate.. black with the trails teams pieces.... PIAA lights on the front, etc. Like i said, I'm beginning to like the IFS for this reason.

Yes.. I think just for fun, although, I am friend with Jimmy (turboFest) and he's competitive... so I'm sure we'll be out cruising.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

CC-01 chassis it is then. LOL. You won't regret it. It is a fun and durable platform. Plus you can closely copy your 1.1.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
CC-01 chassis it is then. LOL. You won't regret it. It is a fun and durable platform. Plus you can closely copy your 1.1.
Yes... I can't wait to copy my 1:1... just need some links to parts that will get the job done. I think Axial makes PIAA lights like the ones on the front. and I think the Axial Walker Evans wheels are the closest I'll get to my 1:1 wheels.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichLPhotography View Post
Yes... I can't wait to copy my 1:1... just need some links to parts that will get the job done. I think Axial makes PIAA lights like the ones on the front. and I think the Axial Walker Evans wheels are the closest I'll get to my 1:1 wheels.
On a side note, do you like the FJ?
My wife wants one.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
On a side note, do you like the FJ?
My wife wants one.
Love it... I wish my wife wanted one, so we could have 2. It is a beast.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

you can get pretty dang far with a set of lower rear links(homemade or store-bought) and a hacksaw lol.
Koldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

The alloy front suspension bits won't do much but add some weight and appearance. The stock front arms and knuckles can be slightly modded for more travel and tighter turning. A worthwhile mod. I would do that before I would spend the money for the aluminum front suspension parts. They do look cool though, so if the money isn't an issue, why not?
83GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GT View Post
The alloy front suspension bits won't do much but add some weight and appearance. The stock front arms and knuckles can be slightly modded for more travel and tighter turning. A worthwhile mod. I would do that before I would spend the money for the aluminum front suspension parts. They do look cool though, so if the money isn't an issue, why not?
If money was an "issue" I wouldn't be buying an RC car.

CC-01 Hook up help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a hook Rok_Dok Scale Accessories 13 05-20-2007 10:05 AM
i need the hook up firstumustcrawl Tamiya Clod Buster 1 02-26-2004 10:17 PM