Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: New to the crawling world and need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #1

Question New to the crawling world and need help

I'm a noob in the crawling world, but not to rc in general. I want to start my first build with a scale crawler and was looking at the cc01 because I thought it was cool.
For now, I'm on a strict budget and the cc01 seems to be the cheapest. I was planning on buying either the landcruiser or bronco, and putting these in it. I need your approval (the crawler community) of weather or not this setup is ok to run in a stock car.

Vxl 3m brushless system from the traxxas minis, but I will only run it on a 7.2v battery.

Im asking, is the combo im using ok to use in a stock cc01 kit and what else do i need to do out of the box to make it perform better. I want to stay on as low of a budget as possible, the reason why im using that brushless is because its from my old 1/16.
laxboy411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Hi. If that motor is the smaller, 380 (26mm diameter) sized can I think it is, you'll have trouble fitting it to a CC01. The CC uses a standard 540 (35mm diameter) sized motor. That said, this motor would be a bit fast for a CC01. A 4000kv motor in a CC. Would be like an F1 engine in a lawn mower. You should shop for a cheap, sensorless motor of around 2000kv or less, or better yet, look for a cheap or used brushed system with a 55t or higher motor. eBay and rc4wd both have some great deals, as does the for sale section on this site. I hope that helps. Sorry it wasn't better news.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New to the crawling world and need help

what monkey said!! sell off the VXL system and pick up a 50 to 65t motor and a decent ESC w/ drag brake ( like a Axial AE3) and you'll have a very capable rig. Theres a lot of reasons to NOT use the VXL system, it wont mount up w/o building some type of adapter, its waaaaay too fast and you'll be spending your $$ on replacement parts like gears and such, not really water proof (wont live long if submerged), very poor low speed control, no drag brake (means the truck will roll when off throttle) ect. ect. Just my 2 cents worth...Welcome to the forum! read some posts in the CC01 section and you'll figure out what mods you will need for your style driving and the terrain you'll be running, theres some pretty smart folks that hang out here and plenty of info available
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #4

Default Re: New to the crawling world and need help

Well, I ordered the truck and such, it should be here soon, ill keep posted on the build.
My overall plan is:
Hobbyking radio and reciever
XL-5 and stock motor (being replaced in the future with either a GRU or a 55t RC4WD motor)
GPM suspension links, I figured it was cheaper than Junfac
RC4WD 1.9 White steel rims on 1.9 rock creepers
Make my own trail bumper
Magic link mod
Traxxas Waterproof servo
Boca full bearing kit

That's really it. I was looking on other forums and people were talking about chopping the "Brick wall"? Someone inform me on this. I presume its the giant plastic block under the bumper.

Please inform me of whats the best options for me. I plan on doing medium crawling and a bit of trailing, I'm new to this.
laxboy411 is offline   Reply With Quote

New to the crawling world and need help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the rc crawling world Ryno0413 Newbie General 11 06-24-2013 07:30 AM
New to the world of crawling! Hammer! General Crawlers 5 01-30-2013 03:22 AM
New to the world of crawling Hammer! Electronics 0 01-28-2013 10:09 PM
I'm New to the crawling world Tin Bender Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 08-11-2010 07:39 PM
New to the crawling world.... JarheadRCGuy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 02-10-2009 03:42 AM