Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC01 scale attemp number one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default CC01 scale attemp number one

Been tinkering with, Moggie. Yes I name my toys

Put in the GRU, got rid of the brick, added some weight to the front, Stack in place, new battery cover, air and fuel tanks. All the stupid working lights and some front suspension modifications along with moving the upper shock mounts. 27T motor and as soon as the parts get here I'll be gearing it up a little, adding rear aluminum links and replacing the lovely stock steering Got my Sawback kit this week and robbed the tires and wheels from it for the Mog. Also put a set of 12mm wheel spacers on it. Best thig I've done yet. And yes I have a new camera on order, and that's a .22 shell for the filler neck on the fuel tank.
Attached Images

Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #2

Default Re: CC01 scale attemp number one

Are the weights up front instead of wheel weights? What pinion is on the GRU? Nice work. Just curious. why did you cut the front off? I am working on a cc01 now and found a way, I think, the make the parts on the steering arms work with very little modification. Time will tell! Keep the information on this build coming.
HCCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCCrawler View Post
Are the weights up front instead of wheel weights? What pinion is on the GRU? Nice work. Just curious. why did you cut the front off? I am working on a cc01 now and found a way, I think, the make the parts on the steering arms work with very little modification. Time will tell! Keep the information on this build coming.
Yes on the weights. I'm an old hot rodder and atv racer and more rotating mass is loss of torque. I know it doesn't exactly apply to RC crawlers, but I'm hard headed. I'm running the 16 tooth pinion, but I'm moving up to a 20 and I'm sure it will still be a little on the slow side. It crawls great and the wheel speed while crawling is fine, but traveling between obstacles is a bit tiring for the ones of use that are impatient As for the front, aka the brick. It hangs up on everything. Imagine having your coffee table mounted under the front bumper of your car lol.

Last edited by Jeepiac; 03-09-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Found out the hard way that a 20 tooth pinion with the HPI gru creates problems. in order to put the 20 on you have to rotate the motor/gru and this caused the gru to hit the steering servo. I'm sure most of the CC01 guys know this, but failed to tell me lol.
Also, I got the GPM spur gear today. Figured I'd try it. It's good for more noise and a tranny full of aluminum shavings. That was a lesson learned
And I finally found some tires that look Mogish. Hope they work!

Put a HR gear cover on the bottom. Not sure why... Cause it's pretty?

And I'm still waiting on my new camera
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Also, I got the GPM spur gear today. Figured I'd try it. It's good for more noise and a tranny full of aluminum shavings. That was a lesson learned
I installed one of these in my pajero. I'm running a 3s and 85t integy. Stock gears were not my friend. I only have 2 or 3 batteries thru the spur. Did you have issues with it?
redneckracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I had issues with the end of the spur that runs on the lower gear. I replaced the lower gear for the drive shaft with a steel gear and it seems to be holding, but now the plastic locker setup that came with it is stripped. Think I may stack the metal diff gears in the rear and fill it with J.B weld.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

did some digging and found this. How to pitch a 32 at your XC - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums
Old 03-11-2015, 05:35 AM   #8

Your info is great. How much weight did you put in the front and rear? Your physics on mass, rotation and torque make sense! Keep the info coming as you progress with this build.
HCCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

So far I've only added 2oz to the front of the cassis. Actually the rotating mass probably doesn't apply to something with the wheel speed of my Unimog. But in my opinion 6oz in each tire of a larger higher powered crawler might cause a little loss of torque and strain on the drivetrain, but the weight in the tires helps keep the center of gravity lower and the weight is under the suspension. It's a little bit of give and take. And most of the guy's that have been crawling for a long time, and know way more than I do tend to weight the tires from what I've seen.
Anyway, I got a bag of factory gears in the mail today, and finding the very back screw was stripped and allowing the tranny cover to lift under a heavy load, and replacing all the tranny cover screws with machine thread screws should fix that problem. Gotta fix the rear diff and I should be good for a couple more days I'm only running 2s Lipos in mine. It's slow, but the wheel speed is perfect when crawling through the rough stuff, and the slow crawl ability is crazy. Seems more scale to me. I've got a trail rig I'm building for bashing and one of these days I'm going to build my Sawback in a attempt to build a true scaler. This CC01 is kind of an practice rig
I'm still new to the crawler scene myself, so don't go butcher your CC01 based on what I say lol. Search this place and you'll find the answer to every question you could ever have.

Last edited by Jeepiac; 03-12-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I'm diggin' those wheel nuts! Do you mind sharing who makes them?
zanthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanthrax View Post
I'm diggin' those wheel nuts! Do you mind sharing who makes them?
Those are the barrel nuts that come with the wheel spacers. I don't remember the brand but I think all the longer spacers come with them.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

HCCrawler, here's a link with tons of info! Been posted on here before, but just in case you haven't seen it yet.

CC01 tech thread. - RC Rock Crawlers & Scalers @ URC Forums
Old 09-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #13
RCC Addict

and now the little mog that could ....belongs to somebody else

i will post up some more when i get a chance
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC01 scale attemp number one - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st Video attemp Freakshow185 Videos! 6 08-15-2013 07:30 AM
And reason number 5434564322 to go to the Scale nats! XSRCdesign Competitions 4 05-22-2009 10:46 PM
My attemp at a tuber BOWTIE Tamiya TLT Crawlers 27 05-15-2007 11:53 AM
Scale Jeep chassis - TLT first attemp rcguy 2.2 Scale Rigs 9 09-26-2006 03:31 PM