Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Taking the plunge into the CC-01 world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2017, 09:13 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Taking the plunge into the CC-01 world

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac0035 View Post
So I finally got it out for it's maiden voyage. I live in the middle of "R/C heaven" for my area. I live next door to the local R/C race track and the owner has been building a crawling course out back.... and the snow has melted away from it...

I snapped a few pics, which I will try and put up later tonight. I got to say, it goes pretty good. Steering is waaay better than I expected. I trimmed the hubs a little and now I pretty much have as much as I can get out of the stock parts. The arm that holds the tie rod is bottomed out against the a-arm at full lock.... if I cut into that I could actually go more on my trim. As it is now, it feels about the same as my SCX10, which has stock steering other than metal links.... so I'd say that hot racing steering set was money well spent. I put some lead inside the brick and that helped a lot. Climb angle is really good, not as good as my SCX10, but not too far off either. Break-over angle sucks though....

Speaking of the brick....... that's gotta' go. I just have to decide how far I want to take things.
Also need to work on a belly-skid, as that got hung up a lot too.

The 80T motor is pretty darn slow, I think this may end up needing to run on 3S to have a balance of speed and power. Right now it's slower than my SCX10 (AE5/27t), but some times needs some grunt and also speed to "pop" up over things. Not really wanting to mess with a GRU, I think I'd put the 550 drill motor I had in my wraith in there first, but for now, want to make this 80T work.
Pics as promised.....

andymac0035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2017, 08:00 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

The hummer body looks right at home there and the brick looks huge without anything covering it. I also have to get some weight up front.
Dirt Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:22 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Thanks! I tried a few of the harder spots on the course and it made it up many, including one that I didn't think was possible, but I figured I try anyways.

Today I trimmed out the bronco body and mocked it up. One thing I'm noticing, both with the bronco body, and also with the hummer body, is that the (see page one) alientac wheels I bought stick out more. Basically, they have an axial SCX10 offset. In addition to that, the rock creeper tires where hitting the fenders. So I don't think I'll be using these wheels on the CC01. Next up I will either try those on my SCX10, or take them off those wheels and mock them up on wheels with less offset. I was looking at some G-made plastic beadlocks online last night with zero offset and think those my be a good bet for the CC01.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Took a shot at the brick-mod.....

I cut this out free-hand with a backsaw.

This is a front skid from an SC10. I cut the bottom half off and re-shaped it.

The 2 screw hole things lined up to fit inside the bumper hole mounts on the CC01 chassis helping hold it in place and line it up.

I drilled hole at a different angle through the skid and into the CC01 chassis.

Got some lead on the front now... in addition to the two 1/4-oz pieces on the inner fenders, there's ten of those 1/2-oz lead squares in that bundle, and two more down below. That's a long screw from a clodbuster "shock", as well as servo horn, and another clod-bit under there wedging the two pieces down below, and the screw going into that middle hole in the bottom of the chassis for the stock bumper/skid.

I like plastic vs aluminum for sliding over things whenever possible. Not sure if I want to cut the side bits off yet.

That should help my approach angle!

I'm pretty happy with how this came out and can't wait to try it out.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

That'll work! That weight should make a difference too.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Tried it out today..... WOW! ... what a difference!
Approach angle is sooooo much better and it can climb pretty steep too. Not quite as steep and my SCX10, but close.. amazing!
Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Nice build, the Hummer body doens't look too bad, but can't wait to see it with the Bronco body! I like beadlock wheels, but don't go too heavy, 80 grams maximum per 1.9 wheel is plenty heavy.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Getting closer to painting up the Bronco body. Been mocking it up with the rock creeper tires. I sold the bead locks I had bought as I just didn't like the offset ... I had a set of plastic wheels that I think are touring car wheels... I dunno, but they tuck the tires perfectly so I'll probably glue those up soon.

Having said that... are these the king pin screws that allow the use of axial bead locks?
They look like they might offer a little extra clearance for those screws that hit the stock kingpin screws.

Hot Racing Tamiya CC-01 Steel Kingpins Set STCC04

Old 04-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

They should work. Very similar to the Tamiya lightweight kingpin upgrade.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

So I have many new pics to post, as I've painted up the bronco body and both it and the rock creeper tires are on and look awesome!

But I want to start with what hastened me along....

I went on a trail run up the mountain in White Rocks scenic area in Wallingford Vermont.

I decided to park the SCX10 and see what the CC-01 could do. This was with the losi tires and Hummer body. It did pretty good and I especially enjoyed moments where someone would say "your not going to get over that" and then I did just that! OSRC was very right about it being quite a challenge to get where SCX's and such go though.

This area is pretty steep, and there's LOTS of switchbacks all the way up it. Hard to even walk up some of it, let alone drive your little truck up it. Then I broke the biggest rule.... stay below your truck! .... and you guessed it..... there it goes.... tumbling down ...... lots of trees and rocks .... some nice bounces ... and not so nice ones..... and finally after 50-ish feet it stopped. To my amazement (once I got down there) it was intact... and people say tamiya plastic sucks.....

So... I get back up there and go back at it. Now you would think after that I'd not get too far out from under the path of my CC-01 again right?... ... and there it goes, one of the other guys tries a save.... misses.... and down it goes. I am told by the group that I now hold the record (not one I wanted) for the longest drop. It tumbled down about 100 feet all the way to the bottom of the trail near the access road. Took me a while to get down to it. It was still intact and runable, but I did smash one of the front wheels really good/bad. I still have no idea how the body (or the rest of the truck) survived this.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #51
Pebble Pounder

So here we go! Always liked this shade of blue. Rock creepers are tucked pretty good I think. Not sure what wheels these are, as they were given to me and came with some Chinese tires (I think they are touring car wheels).

I really like this first pic. I think it's the most realistic looking R/C pic I've ever taken.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Excellent carnage pics! They are tough little rigs.

Bronco looks good! Should perform better too with a lighter body up top.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #53
Pebble Pounder

More pics!

Old 05-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

This makes me want to go out and get another CC01. I am driving a G2 D90, my son has OSRC's Ascender, now my daughter needs a CC01
neospirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Do it! (And welcome over to RCC)
Old 05-09-2017, 10:17 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

I have been a member of this site for a long time just reading the forum, but never posted anything. I probably will get another CC01 once Tower has the ecash offer again. Now I just have to decide which one to get. I am leaning toward the Unimog 425 because of the tires. I like the body as well. Thoughts?
Old 05-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

I wouldn't do it for the tires unless tamiya has finally offered something in a soft compound.
The unimog body is cool though and I think larger tires fit it better.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

I had the 406 and didn't care for the tires. I already have a D90 and a Jeep (Ascender). The Unimog body will be something different.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

I decided to try a 3S lipo with the 80T motor. Seems to be a good match of power and speed.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Got some new pics on the way...

Taking the plunge into the CC-01 world - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hiya folks! Long time lurker taking the plunge! Foxy42 Newbie General 6 09-26-2013 02:49 AM
Took the plunge HeavyG Newbie General 8 04-08-2010 07:53 PM
Taking the plunge... Browncoat Newbie General 3 04-22-2008 07:08 PM