Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Heat problem solved...period

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Heat problem solved...period

Been trying to work out the gearing and monitoring the heat as I went. I finally have it down where I like it.
Excelrin 17.5 with 12t
Excelrin esc
The wheel speed is lower than when I had the 14t on it but it's got plenty of punch and now is very controlable on the slow stuff. I was always checking for heat and although it got warm it never got what I would call TO hot. The test were in boulder rocks with lots of binds and rookie mistakes. I got 42 minutes non-stop this test. (1600 2s) The motor was ice cold,,,,,here's why,,,,

The esc never showed signs of heat so I took the fan off and mounted it next to the motor. Just ran the wire over into a empty channel on my reciever. I then found an old computer fan just in case the esc did get warm ,,,,,(it's a 12v fan so it turns pretty slow,,,,but enough for the esc)

Then to solve the side body mount problem I just took the side posts off and used the longer screws from my fan off the esc to mount them on top and drilled new holes,,,,

Used the same hairpen clips and all,,,,quick and cheap,,,,
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Y-Town Crawlers

Good ideas! I'm glad that thing is running cool now

I wonder if that's what Rich had in mind when they put those holes in the cross braces. hmm...

Try that setup with a 14t pinion and see what it does
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

It would'nt suprise me ,,,he's a "step ahead" of most people I know. And the motor never really got that hot,,but I don't have a temp gun and got tired of worring about it,,,,now all I half to do is learn to crawl
I started with the 14t and I needed a little slower on the bottom,,,I just can't think that fast. If a guy could see his line and did'nt mind rolling right along it worked great, but I had to keep stopping to pick a line and starting a stopping seams to build heat faster.,,,,I also got a 13T I may thro in there to see the diff that makes,,,,
BTW,,,,,,,,great job on your last comp dude,,,

Last edited by grouser; 06-22-2009 at 10:24 PM.
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote