Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Motor overheating/ diff heat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Motor overheating/ diff heat

After about 10-15 min. My motor gets fairly hot :-(. Im running a 15t pinion gear, ALONG WITH A TRINITY MONSTER MAXX MOTOR (23 turn i think) AND 6 CELL 3000Mah batt. pack What can i do to get motor temps down?

Im running a high temp wheel bearing grease in my diffs, but they are still getting warm. Any suggestions?

Last edited by LCC4TWENTY; 07-27-2009 at 12:13 PM.
LCC4TWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Do some reading in this section, tons of info on how to bring down the temps etc...

You mention a 15t pinion, but not the motor/battery combo...

And if grouser reads this thread, we'll get to see the infamous Losi Fan on the motor pic for sure...
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Check your diff gears. Make sure the teeth on the spool are cut at an angle. If not, that's most likely the culprit.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
Do some reading in this section, tons of info on how to bring down the temps etc...

You mention a 15t pinion, but not the motor/battery combo...

And if grouser reads this thread, we'll get to see the infamous Losi Fan on the motor pic for sure...
Well I'm not one to disapoint!!!!!!!,,,,hea-tis,,,
and here's one for the front
and back to the rear for the diff,,,
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Holdin my 40oz.

I too suggest checking the worm gears to see if they are cut right, and a motor fan DOES help. Only question I have is how does it run with that motor? How is the torque and wheelspeed? I have one of the 19Tpro versions I been thinking of throwing in, just curious to see how the 23t faired.
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I would drop a few teeth on the pinion. I have a Titan in mine, stock Emaxx motor, with a 12t pinion them motor barely gets warm. I am running a CC Sidewinder with an Xtreme 3s 1350 lipo....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I'm seeing alot of suggestions for workarounds rather than real solutions. Gearing down is only gonna allow the motor to more easily turn the gears. Your motor temp MIGHT come down, but your axle temp and ESC temp will still be running high I bet. And you'll end up sacrificing wheelspeed.

I'm running a Goat with a 12T pinion and still managed to get my motor to around 160, my ESC to about 130 and my rear axle to up around 100. And that's with the gears properly lubed and the ESC set to Profile 3 as suggested by Novak. I inspected my gears and they had the tell-tale oddball wear pattern that many others have pointed out.

If the axle is getting hot like mine, there's obviously some undue friction in there. Check those gears. If they're cut straight on the spool instead of at an angle, that's most likely your culprit. Replace 'em and I bet your motor temps, ESC temps and axle temps will all drop significantly. At least that's what I'm hoping for mine.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

If the diff is at 100 degrees,,,,what is the ambient temp? 80-90,,,that's only 10 or 20 degrees increase,,,hot day,,,hot truck
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikax10 View Post
I too suggest checking the worm gears to see if they are cut right, and a motor fan DOES help. Only question I have is how does it run with that motor? How is the torque and wheelspeed? I have one of the 19Tpro versions I been thinking of throwing in, just curious to see how the 23t faired.
i had the novak 55t motor in it and wasnt happy with the power it put out. besides the heat its a strong motor. i noticed a big difference in toruqe and wheelspeed between the two.
LCC4TWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

so why does a faster motor make more tourqe out of the losi?
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #11
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Faster motor (fewer turns) doesn't make more torque. You need the faster motor to make up for the really low gear ratio. That low gear ratio allows you to use the lower turn motors and still get a decent amount of torque.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouser View Post
If the diff is at 100 degrees,,,,what is the ambient temp? 80-90,,,that's only 10 or 20 degrees increase,,,hot day,,,hot truck

I wouldn't worry about the worms till they get up around 145 degrees.
High speed worm gears are gonna make a lil heat. It's the nature of the type of gear. I am trying to figure out how to seal the rear housing so I can run some gear lube in the housing instead of grease.

Also to much grease will also cause heat due to grease shear and the pump effect.
M_Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
Faster motor (fewer turns) doesn't make more torque. You need the faster motor to make up for the really low gear ratio. That low gear ratio allows you to use the lower turn motors and still get a decent amount of torque.
but still a 55t geared high should still make a decent amount of tourqe on 9.6v right? but mine doesnt at all im fine with the speed i tend to like a little slower rig but still it has no tourqe
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Saint View Post
I wouldn't worry about the worms till they get up around 145 degrees.
High speed worm gears are gonna make a lil heat. It's the nature of the type of gear. I am trying to figure out how to seal the rear housing so I can run some gear lube in the housing instead of grease.

Also to much grease will also cause heat due to grease shear and the pump effect.

I have tried and failed at sealing the housing. It pumps out the input shaft. Let me know if you figure it out.
motorman1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rcmonster View Post
I would drop a few teeth on the pinion. I have a Titan in mine, stock Emaxx motor, with a 12t pinion them motor barely gets warm. I am running a CC Sidewinder with an Xtreme 3s 1350 lipo....
how does the titan work, i just blew my 45t to smoke and i'm looking for a replacement, also is it a brushed motor
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #16
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
but still a 55t geared high should still make a decent amount of tourqe on 9.6v right? but mine doesnt at all im fine with the speed i tend to like a little slower rig but still it has no tourqe
You should have a plenty of torque on 9.6V. You might actually be geared too high. If your running something like an 18 tooth pinion, try going down to a 16 or so...