Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: New here, driveshaft CV problem, quick fix??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #1

Default New here, driveshaft CV problem, quick fix??

I picked up my Losi crawler a few weeks ago and finally got all the parts to power it up. My disappointing journey started when I took it out of the box to find the front driveshaft cv joint seized. So, I fixed it since it'd be a while before replacement parts arrived. Upon closer inspection of the whole vehicle, I found a missing outdrive set screw. I replaced it. Finally assembled all the parts and drove the crawler for the first time. One diff outdrive fell off(the set screws backed out, one driveshaft cv joint pin fell out and was lost(the pin set screw was tight), and another pin almost fell out but I caught it in time(it's retainer screw was also tight). I followed a recommendation here and tore both driveshafts down and threadlocked EVERYTHING. But I still wanted to add some sort of postitve cv joint pin retainer just in case. After some brainstorming, I fitted a Tmaxx reverse fork dust boot over the cv joint. It's an extremely difficult job as the boot is about the size of the parts I'm trying to cover, but it's not stretched in a way that would stress the rubber and wear it out prematurely. The boot fits snugly covering the pin and holes and snugs up on the neck of the ball side of the joint. I extensively tested the driveshaft and found no binding whatsoever(individual results may vary) with no propensity to "force" the joint into a straight position. Right now I only have one on board as the boots can only be bought with the shift fork for $7. But if it proves durable enough, it'll make one helluva dust boot. Reusable and readily available. Just thought I'd share.
theothertoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

great idea! along with keeping the dust out it keeps the grease in and clean! i just use shrink wrap but it tends to get torn off by rocks in the rear, also you might want to add 2-4mm to each upper link and it will cut down on drive shaft noise and bind
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote