Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: idler gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #1

Default idler gear

I know about all the talk with the idler gear and slipper clutch that has went on. Yesterday I blew out my first idler gear on my lcc maiden voyage, this is after very carefully setting the mesh. My question is has anyone tried the metal idler gear? What would be the downside to running it if any? Thanks for the help.
colorado_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #2

Boy, that's a bum deal for a fitst run. I haven't heard of issues although I can see a potential issue with guys running 12-14t pinions. Make sure that the set screw is behind the idler gear. If the screw hits the idler it will not only mess up the ier but could throw the mesh off thus stripping the gear. The down fall of a metal gear is really only noise as far as I know. They won't mesh as smoothly as plastic
nevrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #3

Yea I am running a 12t pinion with a 18.5 brushless on 3c lipo should I use a different pinion?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #4

Well not saying change the pinion just make sure your pinion is far enough back on the motor shaft that the set screw will clear the idler. This could be a simple mistake that will certainly destroy an idler gear.
nevrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I'm running a titan 23T with a 12t w/metal idle gear. It works great and it is quite. I took out the first one with the Holmes hobbies 10T cobalt. In 30 seconds. So if your going to stay with a trans like me then do the metal gears. I'm ordering the metal cogs for the dig. And all the other trans gears. bulletproof IMO.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrdun View Post
Well not saying change the pinion just make sure your pinion is far enough back on the motor shaft that the set screw will clear the idler. This could be a simple mistake that will certainly destroy an idler gear.
if you have a short pinion you can just 180 the idler gear if the set screw damaged it and scoot the pinion back on the motor shaft
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
I'm running a titan 23T with a 12t w/metal idle gear. It works great and it is quite. I took out the first one with the Holmes hobbies 10T cobalt. In 30 seconds. So if your going to stay with a trans like me then do the metal gears. I'm ordering the metal cogs for the dig. And all the other trans gears. bulletproof IMO.
mine came with metal dig cogs/ dig engaugement plates i belicve
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I went through 3 plastic gears before I got the metal one. So far it's been great. I put a little gear jelly on it to help quite it down but it work's great.
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

good to know. I have been wondering about the metal gears too.
driftin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #10

Yea I had the pinion set back on the back half of the idler gear so that way the set screw would not chew it up got the wheel in a bind and the motor power I think jumped a tooth on the idler. I an going metal I think to bulletproof it don't want to have to pull my tranny all the time.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i use a longer 12t pinion gear from rd racing its nearly the same width as the idler gear and its got a collar the grubscrew goes through so it cant chew the idler gear up.
perfictsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

if you make a battery tray that sits on the upper links, you don't need to remove the trans to swap the idler gear. Or just remove the tray first. just my experience from doing it a couple of times. and the losi pinion gears seem to fit across the whole gear too

Last edited by driftin90; 09-06-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: forgot to add about the pinion
driftin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

this is all great info
Beerman Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote