Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: BEC questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #1

Default BEC questions

Couple questions about my Castle BEC that I hooked up tonight.

I am pretty sure that it is normal for the servos to work without the esc being switched on (Goat 2s ESC with 18.5t motor) as long as the battery is plugged in correct?

Should I hard wire the on/off switch for easier faster operation?

When I plug in the battery the dig servo makes a loud noise at first and tries to engage. But after a few seconds everything works like it should. Also the steering servo has the same type reactions upon startup. Is this normal?

Should I have the BEC set up to put out 6 volts, seeing how that is the voltage to get the max torque out of my servos?

Thanks in advance this is my first time using a BEC, and I am fairly new to crawlers and electrics.

Last edited by SGriffin; 09-16-2009 at 10:47 PM.
SGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You don't need a BEC with the Novak. I tried it and saw no difference. Just one more thing to go bad. Pull it out and just use the one on the Goat it works fine.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

make sure to pull the red wire out of the esc plug where it connects to the receiver
catpwred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynmech View Post
You don't need a BEC with the Novak. I tried it and saw no difference. Just one more thing to go bad. Pull it out and just use the one on the Goat it works fine.
Not true. Use the BEC! 6V is a safe voltage setting for your BEC. Anytime you plug your battery in it will power up the BEC thus in return sending power to your servo's and RX. The whole purpose of the BEC is so that your ESC doesn't power the servo's and RX and sends all it's power to the motor/motors.

You can not set the voltage on your ESC's built in BEC and it's not 6V out of the ESC. I have not had any probs out of my Castle BEC and I have one in every comp rig I have and a few scalers!

So to answer your question, you will need to unplug the battery to cut the BEC off. I have seen a few guys wire up a inline switch just for the BEC. And yes make sure that the red power wire is disconnected from the ESC when using a BEC. Just follow Castle's instructions on how to wire it up, it's very easy.

If you want the most out of your servo's don't listen to the above guy, run your BEC at 6V and go have fun And as far as hard wiring your ESC on/off switch, a lot of guys do just that. It's up to you.

(PS....Ask this question in the "Electronics" forum next time. You will get better answers also.)

Last edited by TattooKenny; 09-17-2009 at 02:43 AM.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:20 AM   #5

Thanks guys, and my bad for asking the question in the wrong forum.
SGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGriffin View Post
Thanks guys, and my bad for asking the question in the wrong forum.
its fine but yes do as others have said and you will want a bec, and id do the switch elimnating mod for the esc, you wont have to worry about forgetting to turn it off or have to mount a switch
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote