Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: glitching

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default glitching

what causes it. It seems i have to be 2 feet or closer to make this thing run smooth. The thing is it only happens sometimes. I know to make sure the atenna isnt touching metal or close to wires but it is pretty hard to do when the whole thing is metal.

Any suggestions?
zookiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

theres a ton of things that can cause your glitching but first check all wires for cuts also your solder connections first.ive seen a messed up servo mess with things to my buddy had a grounded out servo that caused an intermittent glitch we ruined 2 castle becs and a castle link before catching it.
twisted bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
DBR
Quarry Creeper

start by listing what you have in the way of electronics. I had wicked glitching when I was trying to use a TQ3 with a brushless motor. Way to much interference and it hopped worse than the easter bunny with a rottweiler on its tail.
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #4

What kinda servo are you using? If you got a high torque servo, your receiver maybe actually be freaking out making it look like a glitch. If your using an AM radio and receiver, its very possible its a low amp receiver making incapable of high draw components.
There has been a disconnect between manufactures and the public on proper information with radio system set ups. The manufactures assumed we would be smart enough to use a BEC with a 400 oz servo.
I sometimes have a problem with my spektrum receiver and my hitec 7995tg servo. They are happy as long as I don't use them with my sidewinder ESC and turn the servo to full stop in one direction or the other. When I do this the spektrum receiver goes into failsafe mode. Use the two together with my Novak ESC and I don't have the problem.
Some digital servo's will only run on 4V and applying 6v to them cause glitch like symtoms
Electronics are funny like that.

Last edited by dhc8guru; 09-30-2009 at 09:37 AM.
dhc8guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

ok ill try my best to list the stuff i have.

traxxas 27mhz controller
traxxas 2215 reciever
rooster crawler ESC
Apogee 2lipo battery
35t integy motor
tower pro mg995 servo

having the ESC mounted on the rear axle bad?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #6

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/mg995review.shtml
This article doesn't paint a good picture of your servo.

This is a quote from the article " also noticed that the MG995 introduces large amounts of electrical noise onto the battery lines and this can cause range and glitching issues with some receivers"

I would change your servo just for giggles and see what it does.

Last edited by dhc8guru; 10-01-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc8guru View Post
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/mg995review.shtml
This article doesn't paint a good picture of your servo.

This is a quote from the article " also noticed that the MG995 introduces large amounts of electrical noise onto the battery lines and this can cause range and glitching issues with some receivers"

I would change your servo just for giggles and see what it does.

wow thanks for the link. now i need to know what people recomend for there servos.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #8

IMO, you can't loose with a name brand digital metal gear or karbonite gear servo with over 100oz of torque. Going above 200oz torque is probably a waste. If your really in a bind to need all that torque, you will probably break something on the steering applying that much power to it. Speed of the servo seems irrellivant in crawling. I would suggest a Hitec HS5645MG 143oz torque and its about $55. If you have big coin available the other end of the spectrum is the Futaba BLS155. A brushless motor servo. Although it has way more torque then you need (250oz), it is the least expensive brushless motor servo that will except 6 volts. $150.

Let us know if this solves your glitching problem.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

using that servo would make the steering kinda quick or?

the steering on it now is fast and i like it.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If I were you I would go with a Hitec 7955tg. Its got 333 oz of torque at 6v. Good rule of thumb for a crawler is to go with anything 300 oz or more. You won't regret it. Its better to have more torque than what you need. If you go with the servo I suggested pick up the cheap servo programmer to go with it. The servo can be bought new for about $100 and will last you a long time. With the programmer you can set up your end points since your radio can not. The programmer is only $24. You can set up the over load protection with it too and that is very important with a crawler becuase we ask a lot from our servos. Your probably not going to break anything if the servo is setup right. I get my truck bound up all the time and beat on my servo like it owes me money and haven't had any problems. When it comes to servos and radios cheaper will only cost you more money in the long run so get the goods first time around and don't think twice.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

hmmmm good advice. i may just go that route.