Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Front end lifting from the rock face

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #1

Default Front end lifting from the rock face

I was at a comp on Tuesday night and just could not clear gate 9. It had a pretty steep climb and right at the gate there was a rock ledge. I just could not clear it and kept rolling backwards. I went there yesterday just to do some practice and try some different lines, still no good. Then two novice axials crawled it with no problem. So now I've got to figure something out.

I raised the upper links to the top hole, and tightened the rear springs all the way down, still nothing. Each front wheel weighs .75lbs Should I add more weight? Do I need a firmer shock or shock oil? Any suggestions would be good.
AC-130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

are you sliding backwards or flipping over?what tires?foams?type of terrain?
trx310r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Hey there AC-130 i've been trying to battle with this myself. I dont think anyone really wants to give away there secretes. Iv got mine a little better by changing the pistons to #57 with 40wt losi fluid and 3/8" inner limmiters. Upper links in the rear on the lowest hole and upper links in the front on the highest hole. Still running stock white springs all the way around. I have VP wheels with 4 slugs in each front and 2 slugs in eack rear. Not sure on total weight though. Ill find a scale today and let you know. Im a newb myself but maybe this will help some.
CrAwLeR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-130 View Post
I was at a comp on Tuesday night and just could not clear gate 9. It had a pretty steep climb and right at the gate there was a rock ledge. I just could not clear it and kept rolling backwards. I went there yesterday just to do some practice and try some different lines, still no good. Then two novice axials crawled it with no problem. So now I've got to figure something out.

I raised the upper links to the top hole, and tightened the rear springs all the way down, still nothing. Each front wheel weighs .75lbs Should I add more weight? Do I need a firmer shock or shock oil? Any suggestions would be good.

Hard to give advise without seeing it but it may just be a wheelbase problem...I bet the stock axials are a little longer and getting there front tires hooked before they roll... Just a guess
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddill View Post
Hard to give advise without seeing it but it may just be a wheelbase problem...I bet the stock axials are a little longer and getting there front tires hooked before they roll... Just a guess
I think a axial is 3/8th longer than a LCC i added longer links in the rear to make it the same. i run the top links in the middle hole and out boarded them. 45wt oil pink lose shocks in the rear and oranges in front i can go up 65* rocks with out flipping.
Werty Made is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Dont know what combo you are running, but stiffer foams in the rear will help if they are soft now.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

There's no secrets... Checkout DelMonte's thread... gives complete specs, pics etc... copy his setup and tweak from there, its proven.
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #8

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep working on it. I went to the shop today and tried out some things. I put stiffer blue springs in the front, took out all the weight out of the back wheels, put some two stage pro-line foams in the rear, and put 70 wt oil in the rear shocks. It climbed the face a little better but I think it could still improve. It is still rolling over backwards, and now since I dont have any weight in the rear, sometimes my wheels just spin and wont climb. I'll keep tweeking and see what I can come up with.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

you have 12 oz in the fronts ?? that might be pulling you back as well (just shooting ideas) I have 7.75 oz in each front and 3oz in the rears, my lower links are level and i have not had this problem good luck if u figure it out let us know
ruinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Well after today on the rocks we had a revelation, you see we had the same problem & after trying the stiffer spring route ,talking with Rich, reading threads like crazy we tried something different : switched back to white springs and turned the shock collars all the way to the top (lowering the ride hight) . as far as we could tell it did the trick the truck was a lot more stable & easier to maneuver especially on near vert climbs.
another thing was to get rid of all the weight we put in the wheels (at one stage we had 13 Oz. in each front wheel) that was last week actually.
For this morning we put 3 Oz. in each front wheel and nothing in the rear on one of the two trucks we have. the other truck was left with about 7 Oz. in front and 4 in the rear, let me tell you there was no a lot to choose between the two rigs as far as where one would go that the other could not follow... both ran longer run times and cooler too...
But then what do I know I'm just testing the rigs...
just thought you should know.
big_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #11

big boss,

I just read Del Monte's thread last night and ordered some heavier shock oil and some weight. Have you read his setup for vert climbs? I am also going to be changing out the shock pistons.

I'll also try what you guys did. If you say it works, I'll give it a shot. It's irritating to see the Axial crawl verts that my Losi can't.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Hi
Yes I did read it & try it ,I didn't like the way the truck felt I even printed the setup sheets, any way the springs he uses are different to the ones I have. his setup works for him and that's all that counts really, however if you set your truck up to his setup & it doesn't work for you than you can try something different, nobody is holding a gun to your head, if you catch my drift...
I haven't gone as far as changing the pistons out yet, however the heavier oil did work out for me, 60wt. front & 50wt. rear . slowed the twisting down a bit.
I will try any setup out there until I find one that will work for ME.
By all means try Jake's setup & see how you like it, but try & change one thing at a time if you don't, that way you can keep track of the one change that made the biggest difference & focus on that, see what I mean?
big_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #13

Got it-
Thanks
Old 10-31-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
RCC Addict

If read right you said you have your front upper links in the upper holes? I read the book that came with the losi and if I read it right, it says to put the front upper links in the lower holes to gain more traction in the front. I did that to mine and noticed a differance just by making that small change. I also tried moving the rear upper links in the bottom holes for more traction in the rear and it started rolling front over rear, so I put them back in the middle hole and its right on. Give it a try.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I have been having the same problem with the front trying to lift on steep climbs. I did the same set up as Del-monte, and Jake's. Neather worked for me. I must be an idiot :?. I have seen both their rigs, and they drive them awsome .

I ended up lengthening the rear by 1/4". This actually helped a ton, and that put me at 12 8/16". Just under the limit. I do still need to do some more testing, when the snow melts .
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I started with Jake's setup but I like it better with yellow springs in the back.
morg59jeep is offline   Reply With Quote