Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Which to buy? Comp crawler or Night crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #1

Default Which to buy? Comp crawler or Night crawler?

Is a Night crawler as good as the Comp crawler? Besides missing the dig which I could add later, is everything else the same? Kind of nice to just take it out of the box and run it, plus getting an extra Spektrum RX. and a TX for the scrap pile.
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan View Post
Is a Night crawler as good as the Comp crawler? Besides missing the dig which I could add later, is everything else the same? Kind of nice to just take it out of the box and run it, plus getting an extra Spektrum RX. and a TX for the scrap pile.
the dig is just the start of differences..Then you got,plastic links also and Non adjustable shocks.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Depends

The Comp Crawler comes with aluminum arms, beadlocks, and you can set it up just how you want to for electronics.
The Night Crawler is all plastic, the battery mounts above the motor (higher COG), they have had problems with the ESC's. Servo needs to be upgraded, motor is not that impressive stock. My neighbor has 2 night crawlers and wishes he would have bought a Comp Crawler. He has went thru 1 motor and 1 servo on each so far. Otherwise they are holding up.
Either way you will want to go with new tires and memory foam.
The Night Crawlers come with the upgraded axles and Drivelines.
Any Questions feel free to ask.
ThGdThBd&ThUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:44 AM   #4

Are the new Comps coming with the upgraded axle parts? I know some guys with the older ones and they replace shaft after shaft....
Old 11-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Dan you would be better off with the comp crawler. Most crawlers are coming with the version 2 cvd's but you can order the version 3 cvd's. I have ran v3 cvd's at Worlds and till present with no issue. Having front and rear dig is something you won't want to do without. You won't be dissapointed with this rig. If you buy one and want some setup help give me a call.
Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

This is just my oppinion, but I would go with the Comp crawler if you plan on doing upgrades later. I say this because you would be money ahead this way. I usually do a lot of research before I spend money on anything. I guess I don't like paying for something twice .

The night crawler is a good rig, and it comes with the better v3 cvds, and does articulate better because the narrower drive shafts. But both of those can be added to the comp rig.

You can also pick up the Comp rig for a good price here on RCC?

Oh yea, I haven't seen of the newer Comp crawlers with v3 CVDs yet. They are about $35 and are worth it. I am still running one of the v2 cvds though. I broke the other one on a fall. Not it's fault.

I hope this helps.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

And the Night Crawler doesn't have the adjustable upper shock mounts on the chassis.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

for the money the night crawler is worth every penny i have the night crawler and its awsome i even out crawled a comp crawler with it

all i say is dont dis something till you tryed it

paul
missions1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #9

Thanks for the input, amazing how many locals (locos?) are on here!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
And the Night Crawler doesn't have the adjustable upper shock mounts on the chassis.
I don't think those would be very difficult to make.
only_in_a_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_in_a_yj View Post
I don't think those would be very difficult to make.
Why build when you can buy one with them? Then you'd still have make a battery tray. To make it comp worthy, only thing good or reusable on the Night Crawler would be the receiver.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I bought a Night crawler because it comes with everything you need to run.. although some said they dont have adjustable shocks.. thats incorrect, they do! just is not thread body shock.. I have tweaked it out after try it out first time. Its not so bad, my next plan is to upgrade the links, a 333 oz servo, shock mounts which is only 6 bucks pair, and I am trying to find the dual motor mount on axles like Jake's LCC instead of using DIG. so that you could run front wheel spin or rear wheel spin instead of just rear lock out.
DirtyDezPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by missions1 View Post
for the money the night crawler is worth every penny i have the night crawler and its awsome i even out crawled a comp crawler with it

all i say is dont dis something till you tryed it

paul
Would that be me then...?

For the price, you cant go wrong with the NC.

(BTW, I have both...)

Last edited by drewpyfz6; 11-23-2009 at 03:10 PM.
drewpyfz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDezPirate View Post
I am trying to find the dual motor mount on axles like Jake's LCC instead of using DIG. so that you could run front wheel spin or rear wheel spin instead of just rear lock out.
On the stock LCC trans you can have front dig with rear locked, 4wd, or rear dig with front locked. Wasn't sure if you knew that from the phrasing.

There is an adavantage at times to the motor on axle setup. Being able to have the axles spin at different speeds or opposite direction. It get's a little more complictated and generally requires a more advanced radio. If MOA's the end objective, the Night Crawler may be a more viable option for the right price.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
On the stock LCC trans you can have front dig with rear locked, 4wd, or rear dig with front locked. Wasn't sure if you knew that from the phrasing.

There is an adavantage at times to the motor on axle setup. Being able to have the axles spin at different speeds or opposite direction. It get's a little more complictated and generally requires a more advanced radio. If MOA's the end objective, the Night Crawler may be a more viable option for the right price.

AHH.. thanks for telling me, now im going to tell this hobby shop there wrong! lol.. Anyhow, I am not sure about MOA now since I have read a few things on other threads about it.. looks like most of them are going back to DIG system. Even though still the LNC is good start, i was thinking that i could just mess with it, learn about 10th scale crawling.. if it all start out well, then get myself a LCC and just put the stuff i have on LNC on it, but run different ESC/MOTOR.
DirtyDezPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #16

You won't be disapointed with the night crawler. Love mine and it does great.
Cordovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I would go comp crawler
Brett B. is offline   Reply With Quote