Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

View Poll Results: Can a shafty run the lines shown in the video?
Yes 49 79.03%
No 13 20.97%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: MOA Kit Vs Shaft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default MOA Kit Vs Shaft

First off this is an impressive display of skill: tmyjeeper's Vanquish Berg

Worth your time for sure.

Second if we are being honest does a LCC compete at that level. Obviously the driver is dar and away the most important part but I am not sure even if I practiced 8 hours a day I would be able to drive the lines shown in the video with my LCC.
Iberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

There is no way a shaft could do that. Bummer. I want one. lol.
jaggededge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Not taking any thing away from the driver, That rock looks like it has some serious grip to it. I think a LCC shafty on rovers could do all the same lines.
lt99ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Well Del Monte is one of the best drivers....he pulls some amazing lines.
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I knew someone would put this poll up sooner or later..

Hard to compare the Losi moa to the berg though..But a Losi can perform very well as either a shafty or an moa rig...Just takes time finding proper set ups that perform well for your terrain..As does serious time behind the wheel..More you practice the more things you see so to speak.Finding good set ups takes alot of time and practice.But the pay off is well worth it with any rig.

P.S. I think the Chopper could do those lines..
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

A shafty LCC can compete at the highest levels, Team Losi drivers have proven it. Jake Wright (aka Del Monte), Jay Robinette (aka Rubbaneck), and Nabil are consistently at the top of the heap against national caliber drivers. On a local level in my club, we have LCC's consistently towards the top. It really all depends on the driver and his ability to pick lines correctly for his vehicle. There will be certain spots where an MOA has an advantage, but there are also spots where a shafty can have an advantage. I guess what I am saying is a good driver is a good driver, regardless of vehicle.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Also that video is a berg...Don't know if he is mixing mutable ESC or has a punk

dig. But with the Losi you cant burn front/rear on the fly like that without

possible doing something to the dig unit...So that is an advantage of running the

Losi MOA/Berg over the Losi Shafty. But who knows.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec View Post
A shafty LCC can compete at the highest levels, Team Losi drivers have proven it. Jake Wright (aka Del Monte), Jay Robinette (aka Rubbaneck), and Nabil are consistently at the top of the heap against national caliber drivers. On a local level in my club, we have LCC's consistently towards the top. It really all depends on the driver and his ability to pick lines correctly for his vehicle. There will be certain spots where an MOA has an advantage, but there are also spots where a shafty can have an advantage. I guess what I am saying is a good driver is a good driver, regardless of vehicle.

If you would have asked me this question last week I would have said pretty much the same thing. After watching that video I would say if they set up a course with gates that REQUIRED lines like those he ran I would think the shafty wouldn't have a chance. The courses just don't seem as crazy as those climbs were.

Also I couldn't think of a spot where a shafty is going to have an advantage over a bully/berg. Pretty obvious there are many situations where the MOAs have a pretty solid advantage.

Lastly with all that said I am thrilled with my LCC shafty. Was mostly wondering if what he was doing was even possible, give me something to shoot for.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

If there were lines like that in a normal comp situation, I would guess that 90% of the drivers would not finish, regardless of vehicle. It is pretty obvious from the video that he is a talented driver that has driven in that area a lot. And certain rock, which this looks like some kind of sandstone, has a ton of traction. I can guarantee that those same lines on our local rock would be impossible. Shafties can have an advantage in certain situations, not many of them, but definitely some. For instance, I have seen shafties float certain lines that a berg couldn't because of axle weight. I have also seen instances where clod stall is detrimental, giving a shafty an advantage. Again, not many instances, but some.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
RCC Addict

That was a berg that was setup very nice...My Losi MOA would have a hard

time going up that line just because of weight I had in my chassis,

Lipo.esc.dig.rec. one advantage I believe the Berg has over the Losi MOA, you

can still mount your lipo on front links, plus you can get smaller lipos because

of the axle gears.They where amazing lines and a cool fun video to watch, I

enjoyed it. But how many times did he have to record that line before he

pulled them off. Give me a shafty and a video recorder..Give me some try's on

some crazy spots and I could prob make a great vid.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa1rch1ld View Post
Give me some try's on

some crazy spots and I could prob make a great vid.
I ran through the video forum but didn't see many LCC vids that weren't first runs or test runs.

Would love to see a great vid by a dedicated if not great driver.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iberian View Post
I ran through the video forum but didn't see many LCC vids that weren't first runs or test runs.

Lol, Dedicated driver....Yes! Great Driver......That is very questionable...lol....

I will tell ya what, I will see what I can do. I do know some good drivers who

can Handle Shafty's and MOA's

Maybe it is time that someone made a Impressive Shafty vid...Can it be done?

Are there more who can take the challenge?

Last edited by fa1rch1ld; 01-12-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

i think it would be all the belly clearnce that would get you hong up with the lcc other than that if u man the berg have stuff in the way down there to get hung up on it wouldnt have done it eather. my lcc pulls some great lines an im very happy with it but i dont think they are apples for apples there
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Again that is why most run the MOA...It wouldn't be the #1 choice for most if it

wasn't good.

If they start running lines like that at comps it will be more than the shafty's

that will have problem pulling them off.

Again, very impresive video though. It must be all the VP stuff he is running

Last edited by fa1rch1ld; 01-12-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
First off this is an impressive display of skill: tmyjeeper's Vanquish Berg

Worth your time for sure.

Second if we are being honest does a LCC compete at that level. Obviously the driver is dar and away the most important part but I am not sure even if I practiced 8 hours a day I would be able to drive the lines shown in the video with my LCC.

Yup it is very impressive and Timmy is a super smooth driver for sure. It takes time, but it is doable to get there. I can tell a difference when I dont drive a lot.

For what its worth, I have a shafty Losi, and I have driven every line in BOTH of his videos. Spent a whole day driving with Timmy and did most of the lines in the first vid, and found/tried most of the lines in the second one that day. I have since been back and tuned the truck some more and myself as a driver... and can now pull all the lines in both vids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggededge View Post
There is no way a shaft could do that. Bummer. I want one. lol.

What makes you say that??? See above, I've done it with my shafty :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt99ls1 View Post
Not taking any thing away from the driver, That rock looks like it has some serious grip to it. I think a LCC shafty on rovers could do all the same lines.

There is a ton of grip But you still need more than just Rovers to pull those lines on a LCC shafty, I can promise you that much.

Quote:
Also that video is a berg...Don't know if he is mixing mutable ESC or has a punk

dig. But with the Losi you cant burn front/rear on the fly like that without

possible doing something to the dig unit...So that is an advantage of running the

Losi MOA/Berg over the Losi Shafty. But who knows.

TMY only has 1 esc, and I believe he is using a dig servo and switch set-up.

Why do you say you can't dig on the fly with a Losi???? I've never had any issues shifting on the fly with mine.... Sure you wear out dig plates, but in my lowly opinion its a price I'm willing to pay.

Quote:
If you would have asked me this question last week I would have said pretty much the same thing. After watching that video I would say if they set up a course with gates that REQUIRED lines like those he ran I would think the shafty wouldn't have a chance. The courses just don't seem as crazy as those climbs were.

Also I couldn't think of a spot where a shafty is going to have an advantage over a bully/berg. Pretty obvious there are many situations where the MOAs have a pretty solid advantage.

Lastly with all that said I am thrilled with my LCC shafty. Was mostly wondering if what he was doing was even possible, give me something to shoot for.

Well, I practice with courses set-up similar but not quite as crazy, and I practice a lot of crazy lines like that with ALmighty Malachi and with TMY when I get the chance to run with him. My mindset is to practice at 125% of ability both courses and me driving, so when I get to a comp I'm only running at 75-80% so I have some extra.

Does it work?? Sometimes, sometimes not.

There are times a shafty has the edge, but more often than not the MOA will.

Oh it's all very very doable and then some

Quote:

Almighty Malachi and I have been talking about doing a video session of my Losi following his Berg through lines on par with what TMY has in his videos... only issue is neither one of us has a video camera and usually when we go it's to practice so we don't think about borrowing a camera when we go out.

Hopefully I'll get one up here soon.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post
TMY only has 1 esc, and I believe he is using a dig servo and switch set-up.

Why do you say you can't dig on the fly with a Losi???? I've never had any issues shifting on the fly with mine.... Sure you wear out dig plates, but in my lowly opinion its a price I'm willing to pay.
Well to be honest I only ran my LCC with there dig trany twice...The 2nd time

I did something in the dig and it stopped working...Took it apart and

everything looked fine and put it back together...Everyone told me the

problem was shifting the Losi dig on the fly and that it will break a lot. After

that I decided to run the MOA setup to go with something new and

different....I'm currently going back to the Losi trany/dig setup. So if you

shift it on the fly like that its good news to me...I fell the same way about

replacing the dig plates...easy enough. With the Punk dig I was spoiled with

dig and shifting it up climbs and stuff..It was a big advantage.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well to be honest I only ran my LCC with there dig trany twice...The 2nd time

I did something in the dig and it stopped working...Took it apart and

everything looked fine and put it back together...Everyone told me the

problem was shifting the Losi dig on the fly and that it will break a lot. After

that I decided to run the MOA setup to go with something new and

different....I'm currently going back to the Losi trany/dig setup. So if you

shift it on the fly like that its good news to me...I fell the same way about

replacing the dig plates...easy enough. With the Punk dig I was spoiled with

dig and shifting it up climbs and stuff..It was a big advantage.

I've been shifting on the fly from day one when I got the rig on the rocks. Now it's not to say its as seamless as an electronic dig as it isn't and can't, but I've not had any problems shifting on the fly. The truck will let you know when the dig plates are worn out too much and you need to replace them.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post
I've been shifting on the fly from day one when I got the rig on the rocks. Now it's not to say its as seamless as an electronic dig as it isn't and can't, but I've not had any problems shifting on the fly. The truck will let you know when the dig plates are worn out too much and you need to replace them.
Cool, thanks for the info...Great writeup on the shafty vs MOA..Its good to see

that a great driver can show other shafty's how its done.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #19
Y-Town Crawlers

I believe I can pull everything in that video... maybe with a different approach, but its possible.

Not to take anything away from Timmy, that rig is awesome and he is an incredible driver, but I think everything there is within reach of a dialed-in shafty Losi.

Having said that... he kicked my butt at the red rocks comp back in July I was off my game and my rig setup wasn't what it needed to be for their courses. This year I'll be ready
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I'm leaving mine a shafty!

And with a shafty no one can say your driving a cheater rig!
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote