Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: About ready to throw in the towel...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default About ready to throw in the towel...

So, I've had my LCC for a couple of months now, I have everything just about set up. I didn't want to wait anymore for the MMP, so I got the Xcelorin... got it in last night, and didn't even get to full set up the throttle trim and endpoints completely before it quit working and just sat there with a yellow light, no fan, and will not even power my RX anymore.

I first got it out of the box, soldered it all up to the motor, and put a Deans plug on it, powered it on to make sure it worked. I reflashed it with the new firmware, and reconnected it to the RX. It worked for about 5 minutes as I was trying to get the trim set to where I wanted it, although it was difficult as it wanted to only run at nearly full throttle... and then it just quit. The motor was still ~70*, the ESC didn't even get warm... nothing, just stopped working.

I'm getting tired of being down for weeks at a time waiting for parts, that may or may not get the rig working!
artsifrtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Sorry to hear that. I hate when stuff does not work that is supposed to.

Good luck.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

it's not even so much that... where I am located for the next few months makes getting parts in to work takes 1-2 weeks at a time, so T/S is a painstaking time sink...
Old 03-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Maybe someone from Team Losi will step up and send something over that is tested and all set up (the right batt connectors and all) and you can send yours back........ (HINT...HINT)
Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Maybe you should have read the instructions and set it up correct, what were you doing adjusting trims and endpoints?
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Indiana mudcat: Well, when the truck starts rolling on it's own with the green light on, that tells me the trim was set too far forward... I guess I should have just left it that way so I could have cruise control? endpoints need to be adjusted on the Dig servo and the steering endpoints needed to be adjusted for throw, unless you are going to supply me with hundreds of servos as I fry them, guy. Trust me... I read the instructions. I read thouroghly about the LCC before I even purchased it. I work on electronics for a living... you know like o'scopes and signal generators... I think I know about RC's, I've been messing around with them for the last 27 years. (got into RC when I was 10, amd 37 now) Before you go and start making assuptions that you are smarter than someone, maybe you should just realize that maybe someone did some research. It's not like I started the thread with "help! i can't get it going..." or "how do I.." I researched what was wrong first.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

did you start with a non crawler esc and try to convert it to the new firmware? If so just go back to the old one for now,,,there be some bugs yet to be worked out with the new stuff. that way you can run you LCC untill they fix it. Or you can re-try to load the knew stuff. Remember to turn it off after a new upload and rebind it to your TX,,,reset the throttle and all that stuff,,,,,good luck and thanks for your service to your country
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

No, started with a crawler ESC... I thought of trying to re-flash to old version, but I get "no response from ESC" and "read error 4" now...
Old 03-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
RCC Addict

For someone thats been in RC 27 years you should know that you set the ESC to match the radio, not the radio to match the ESC. That means set trim to zero, both endpoints to 100 and then do the setup.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
... you set the ESC to match the radio, not the radio to match the ESC. That means set trim to zero, both endpoints to 100 and then do the setup.
Wow, 'cause every ESC has trim level settings and EPA settings... I should'a remembered that it's not the TX that you set those in, it's the ESC...
Old 03-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
RCC Addict

After you set the ESC to your TX did you turn it off and back on again. It says to in capital letters.

I've set one before and it rolled forward, set it again and turned it off right after like they said and it was fine. Give that a try it might help
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsifrtsi View Post
Wow, 'cause every ESC has trim level settings and EPA settings... I should'a remembered that it's not the TX that you set those in, it's the ESC...
It's called binding the ESC to the TX, you usually hold a button down while powering up, pull full throttle until a light flashes, center until a light flashes then pull reverse until a light flashes. Sounds like above you need to power off and then back on at that point with your ESC, but trim is at zero and both endpoints are at 100. That how ESC's have always been, but like I said in the first post you need to read the exact way to do it.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

yes, that was all done... it just died after about 15 feet of on-floor travel. When it died, it acted like it was hitting LiPo cutoff, but never came back on. Now when I turn it on, the fan doesn't spin at all... to get the yellow light to even turn on I have to hold the setup button while turning it on, kinda like when doing the initial setup, except it will not do anything else. It will not even supply power to the RX. I guess I could try removing the cap/BEC and see if that makes any difference, but prolly not. When it shutdown, I checked with my nice calibrated IR temp gun, and everything was at or just above ambiant temp, which in my room is 75... IIRC the ESC was only 78, and motor was about the same.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Is the battery charged J/K. Try calling customer service and have them walk you through it while there on the phone.
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paystin View Post
Is the battery charged J/K. Try calling customer service and have them walk you through it while there on the phone.
He is in Iraq, may be a little hard to do.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsifrtsi View Post
I'm getting tired of being down for weeks at a time waiting for parts, that may or may not get the rig working!
I know the feeling, ive been waiting since dec09 for a working excelorin speedy... sadly i think its just something we need to get used to...
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
He is in Iraq, may be a little hard to do.
It seems that when you call most customer service hotlines it rings over there anyways, he might be in luck....

RC Rock Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

and this is why i stick to regular brushed motors and regular ESC....how much did you spend.....drive drive drive. That thing atleast give a reacharound?

sorry, nothing against you, just the electronics.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:41 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post
That thing atleast give a reacharound?
I think I may have felt something...

In all seriousness, I've been reading on the Losi Forum, and it seems like there are a very limited few that the new firmware accelerated the bricking of the ESC. Most people are very happy with it, both here and on their forums, I am just one of the unlucky. Then again, it could just be Iraq ravaging me again... lol.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

You started w/ the crawler system correct? If so, why did you update the esc. I thought the updated firmware was to bring the non crawler esc to the crawler esc software?
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote