Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Is this worm stall...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Is this worm stall...

Hello everyone,

Every now and again when I am crawling I get a motor sound like a high pitched squeal, not very loud but noticable. It happens when I feather the throttle and the truck does not move (a mild hesitation, then movement happens). Now this does not happen in a bind it usually just happens under some stress (tough, steep accent) So I will throttle the transmitter and instead of getting a response out of the motor (movement) I get a squeal/whine/hesitation/movement. I am concerned because I just got a new ESC after the last one caught fire. Is it possible that my motor has an issue? I have checked for binding in the system, its non-existent (worms are cut right, shims are good). The worms move smoothly, and are well greased. The mesh is, if anything loose. But it still seems like it, almost binds... I am a little lost for words, beacause I am new to electric, being a nitro guy. My real problem is I have a concern with the rig maybe having a defect somewhere and the esc is gonna blow up again. Is it possible that a brushless motor is faulty like this, causing these problems. BTW the rig is a LCC obviously, with the Losi Excelorin 21.5 crawling system. A Spectrum dx3e, and 3s 11.1v lipos.

Thanks for the help,

Ryan
cliffdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

sounds like your slipper is loose
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Just going to throw this out there...had a similar squeal/squeak sound on initial throttle application, turned out I had over tightened the wheel nuts. Basically what was happening for me was that the hex's were pushing back on the outer axle bearings. Solution was to get new nylon nuts and make sure I put the small washer back between the bearing face and the pins after I tear down/lube the axles.
WarMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

2500 thank you for the feedback: Slipper is pretty tight, and I know what that sound is. WARMACHINE: The wheel nut thing, how do I test this, maybe spin the axles, something along those lines?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdawg View Post
Slipper is pretty tight, and I know what that sound is. WARMACHINE: The wheel nut thing, how do I test this, maybe spin the axles, something along those lines?

Thanks,
Ryan
Yessir....I've gotten into the habit of wiggle testing each wheel after I put them on. There isn't a whole lot of effort needed to over do it. Have heard of people torquing them too much and causing the pins to crush too far into the hex's as well. Just something to look out for.

The thing that has me wondering though is that you said the gear set feels loose. If you get right down next the axle when it make the noise you might be able to pin point if the noise is starting centrally (worn gears would be my guess), or if it seems to be coming from out on the ends (hex/bearing rub).
WarMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i know mine screeched when i had a boken hex pin
Old 04-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
i know mine screeched when i had a boken hex pin
Your hex pin broke? I had a CVD pin that broke and it screeched pretty wickedly.
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcircus View Post
Your hex pin broke? I had a CVD pin that broke and it screeched pretty wickedly.
yes sir screeched aginst the knuckle and made a small grove
Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

O.K. this is great feedback, but would I notice a broken pin by spining the axle by hand. I think I would, no? If its possible that I would not notice that then maybe its a broken pin... I just am jumpy after cooking that last esc that its the motor causing the problems. I literally had flames, not fun.

Ryan
Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

You should not be able to spin the axle by hand on an LCC. If you can, then something is broken in there.

Can you spin one wheel individually while the other does not spin?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
Got Worms?

Quote:
O.K. this is great feedback, but would I notice a broken pin by spining the axle by hand. I think I would, no? If its possible that I would not notice that then maybe its a broken pin... I just am jumpy after cooking that last esc that its the motor causing the problems. I literally had flames, not fun.

Ryan
Even if its broken there's a good chance it still keeps the axle locked, i had broken hex pins in both my front hexs and a missing tooth on the worm pinion and it ran like a champ, it blew my mind when i tore my front axle apart and found all those problems, But tightening the wheel nut too much is probably it, i did it to one of mine and messed up the bearing in the knuckle. it never squeaked but it wouldn't drive straight. Hope this helps
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
Rockin' in Reno

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Every now and again when I am crawling I get a motor sound like a high pitched squeal, not very loud but noticable. It happens when I feather the throttle and the truck does not move (a mild hesitation, then movement happens). Now this does not happen in a bind it usually just happens under some stress (tough, steep accent) So I will throttle the transmitter and instead of getting a response out of the motor (movement) I get a squeal/whine/hesitation/movement. I am concerned because I just got a new ESC after the last one caught fire. Is it possible that my motor has an issue? I have checked for binding in the system, its non-existent (worms are cut right, shims are good). The worms move smoothly, and are well greased. The mesh is, if anything loose. But it still seems like it, almost binds... I am a little lost for words, beacause I am new to electric, being a nitro guy. My real problem is I have a concern with the rig maybe having a defect somewhere and the esc is gonna blow up again. Is it possible that a brushless motor is faulty like this, causing these problems. BTW the rig is a LCC obviously, with the Losi Excelorin 21.5 crawling system. A Spectrum dx3e, and 3s 11.1v lipos.

Thanks for the help,

Ryan
I had the exact same sound with my Xcelorin motor. I replaced it with a Tekin and the problem went away. The Tekin 21.5 with the 14mm rotor is much stronger than the Xcelorin motor.
rcjackson0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:47 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I screwed up! I did not mean the axle, I ment the drive shafts comming from the tranny to the worm housing. Just for everyone who is helping me I can spin those, but I cannot spin the wheels to make the tranny move. Jackson, did you stick with the Excelorin ESC?

Thanks
Ryan
Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
Rockin' in Reno

Quote:
I screwed up! I did not mean the axle, I ment the drive shafts comming from the tranny to the worm housing. Just for everyone who is helping me I can spin those, but I cannot spin the wheels to make the tranny move. Jackson, did you stick with the Excelorin ESC?

Thanks
Ryan
No, I never had the Xcelorin ESC. I have a Mamba Max Pro.
rcjackson0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjackson0926 View Post
I had the exact same sound with my Xcelorin motor. I replaced it with a Tekin and the problem went away. The Tekin 21.5 with the 14mm rotor is much stronger than the Xcelorin motor.

My new motor makes the same sound. Dont worry about its normal

Last edited by Flyin Hawaiian; 05-05-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I think what your hearing is the brushless motor stalling a bit befor it starts to turn,,,not to worry but dont stay in that part of the throttle curve for long
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #17
RCC Addict

For some reason the losi motors have this problem. But del monte lcc makes no noise at all smooth and even in a bind. So idk what the deal is with the losi motors but im going to try a tekin 21.5 or 17.5
Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
For some reason the losi motors have this problem. But del monte lcc makes no noise at all smooth and even in a bind. So idk what the deal is with the losi motors but im going to try a tekin 21.5 or 17.5
Maybe it's because he's running the HD worm gears?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #19
RCC Addict

thats what i was thinking but didnt ask him
Old 05-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

This is intriguing about the HD worm gears. I think it would be worth it if this is true...