Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: So tired of blowing motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Default So tired of blowing motors

can anyone suggest what i should do. i have a comp crawler and the first motor i put in was an integy 45 turn motor, castle sidewinder esc, castle bec, spektrum receiver, and a 3s 1300mah lipo battery. 5 minutes into the run, smoked the motor. hobby shop guys said try a lower turn motor. i bought a 30 turn blitz motor and smoked that in about 5 minutes. Now the shop i get the stuff at has walked me through lots of steps like programming the esc and driving style but i just dont get why it keeps burning up motors, and these dam things are not cheap. I am new on this forum so any help from anyone would be appreciated.
josephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Not sure why they suggested a lower turn motor???? Alot of guys on here run 45 and 55 turn motors with success. I would go through your rig and make sure nothing is binding, also make sure your worms have the correct amount of shims and you that you are setting you pinion correctly (not too tight).
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

thanks Toyo, i will check the shims and the pinion placement. i think they were recommending a lower turn motor to keep the rpms down. just a thought though.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
RCC Addict

ill have to agree....
something in your drivetrain is binding i think!

that puts load on the electric motor

(or)

atleast run tests with a voltmeter, just unplug the motor and put the leads on the esc side and hit the trigger on your Tx
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

thanks SwampDawg i'll give that a try too.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephi View Post
thanks Toyo, i will check the shims and the pinion placement. i think they were recommending a lower turn motor to keep the rpms down. just a thought though.

low turn motor is actually more RPM. LCC has a very high gear ratio he might have thought you are running it at full speed all the time.

I have to agree on the binding part. My lcc is smooth with the drive train but I still pulled it apart and oiled it again. What comes in the diffs is not enough the way I look at it anyways.

I suggest you read through the LCC section throughly as there are some real good info here before doing anything else.
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Hi JosephI,

I would recommend changing to a Brushless system. This will set you back more money, but in the long run they cope better with the strain placed on them by the worms.

I've been running Tekin RS and Tekin 17.5T motor in my standard LCC for over 12 months without issue.

As others have said also, check your worms, spools, shims, and grease. Also ensure no hexes are binding with bent pins etc.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mike.

Last edited by The CrAwLL BLACK; 10-05-2010 at 04:20 AM. Reason: spelling
The CrAwLL BLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #8

are you running it with or with out a dig servo it if not its hard with out getting the truck into worm bind and really i have never seen one work well with out a brushless system it is well worth the investment
bradjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
mrG
RCC Addict

brushless all the way!
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

hey everyone, thanks for the advice thus far. I have torn down the truck and found nothing to be out of place or in the least bit defective. I think i am just going to settle for a brushless system. i hear good things about the tekin, how about some others. are there any disadvantages besides cost?

thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 02:28 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

then u just go though worm gears

just make sure they stay very well greased. ive never tried it but ive heard the losi drivers have started using this stuff called hater sauce for their worm gears. mike has a tube for sale at the shop.

like i said, the LCC doesnt like brushed motors
chino925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I am now on my 3rd motor/ESC combo and still have less then 10 min on the truck. Not sure what happened to the first ESC, the second one caught on fire, and I'm now trying the Novak Goat 3S but stripped a spir gear after a couple min and am now waiting a new gear. After the first one I took apart the axial's and took out the extra shim (not sure why as it seemed ok and I have not felt the axial get warm). Anyway after tearing it all apart I don't feel any binds and think I have it worked out now if I can just get the dumb motor set right

Don't feel alone here
d.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

with MrG, Brushless, youll be much happier
1iDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #14
Gold Star Baby!

Thanks everobody. going to the hobbyshop tomorrow so i can play on thursday night. DAVE, sounds like you got the same problem dude, hope all goes well. Chino, there is a guy here selling worm gears, supposed to be better than stock. Any knowledge in that dept.

thanks
Old 10-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

this may seem obvious, and I only just skimmed the other posts because I just woke up and my eyes aren't liking the white text, haha-- so it may have already been said,
but have you checked to make sure neither of you have gotten one of the bad sets of worms? I'm guessing there's still some earlier trucks hanging around somewhere, so its possible you may have gotten them. if you look at the gear, the wear should be straight down the middle, if it isn't, you may have one of the sets that was cut wrong.
or you can post up pics of them, and I'll let Jake know to check in here, and he can tell you if you have the wrong ones.
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

quit wasting your money on brushed motors and buy brushless, you'll save money in the end and have A LOT LESS HASSLE i never burnt a brushed motor out of the 3 i tried in my losi (even with bad worms) but i was never happy with them either. they where either too slow, or no tourqe what so ever. i got an 18.5t goat brushless system 8 monthes ago and havent had a single problem out of it and im very happy with the speed and i accualy have enough tourqe that i can break stuff now, but ive only stripped a spur gear with it and thats it other than the junk v1 cv shafts.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Montess View Post
this may seem obvious, and I only just skimmed the other posts because I just woke up and my eyes aren't liking the white text, haha-- so it may have already been said,
but have you checked to make sure neither of you have gotten one of the bad sets of worms? I'm guessing there's still some earlier trucks hanging around somewhere, so its possible you may have gotten them. if you look at the gear, the wear should be straight down the middle, if it isn't, you may have one of the sets that was cut wrong.
or you can post up pics of them, and I'll let Jake know to check in here, and he can tell you if you have the wrong ones.
My SN is 32xx? I'm guessing that was built after some of the issues I have read about?

Still waiting on my new spir gear. If that does not address the issue I'll tear it apart again and post some pics.
d.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #18
RCC Addict

If your not familiar with running a LCC, a brushed motor will burn up quick, I
burnt up a few before going brushless...Solved a lot of problems...If you still
wanna run brushed I would recommend contacting EeePee...He loves brushed
motors and is one of the few who has and does run brushed in the LCC
successfully....GL.
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

or if u dont care about the dig function call losi and order a night crawler tranny since i blew my motor my LCC is back to a sportsman rig. ill bring it thursday. i jus threw in an old novak 55 so its horribly slow. but it does run cool
chino925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa1rch1ld View Post
If your not familiar with running a LCC, a brushed motor will burn up quick, I
burnt up a few before going brushless...Solved a lot of problems...If you still
wanna run brushed I would recommend contacting EeePee...He loves brushed
motors and is one of the few who has and does run brushed in the LCC
successfully....GL.
The big difference in EeePee's luck is that he's running quality, hand wound motors, not the cheap stuff most LHS stock. I had decent luck with brushed motors if it was just for "comp" runs... only 5 minutes at a time, but even then I was still wanting more.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote