Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Shimming the HD Worm Gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Y-Town Crawlers

Default Shimming the HD Worm Gears

Since the HD Worm Gears are about to hit the market, I wanted to get this information out there.

First off, we've included two different shims for the spool. The silver shims are 0.20mm, and the new black shims are 0.30mm.

We've included two different thicknesses of shims so that you can dial in the shimming on your new set of gears. Start by installing the silver 0.20mm shims on the spool. You will need only ONE shim per side. Install the bearings and drop the whole thing into the housing.

Check to see if there is any side to side play. If you can move the spool back and forth, remove the silver 0.20mm shims and install a black 0.30mm shim on either side. Ideally, you are looking for the smallest amount of side to side movement possible, without binding and putting pressure on the bearings.

Generally, the silver shims will be perfect for a new axle housing. Use the black shims if your housings have some runtime on them.

Shimming the pinion is much easier. We have included the standard 0.20mm shims for the pinion. With the HD pinion, you only need to install ONE shim per side.

Once you've installed the shims, reinstall all of the bearings and apply a liberal amount of grease. The HD gears don't require any kind of "break in" period, but I do recommend spinning them by hand a few times before running them to make sure that everything gets a good coating of grease. After that, enjoy the extra wheelspeed and cooler temps

-Jake
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the great information, Jake. Those new gears look beefy. Can't wait to get a set and see what they do.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info Jake. Looking forward to trying out the HD gears.
untchabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Hey Jake, make sure to drop off my set when you're over at Tylers house. Thanks
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default HD Worm gears

So with the pinion: I take it that a little forward and backward movement is fine & nothing to be concerned about ,as long as there is at least one shim per side? I set my stock worm gears up with shims to get to the least amount of play but still keeping it free of drag and friction. All of my axle gears were set up very well right from the factory. I only needed to make sure not to over tighten the 2 halfs of the axle to keep things running smoothly. I am looking forward to buying & installing the H.D gears ASAP. Should we keep the same pinon gear I run or drop a tooth ?? Thanks for the teck tips.
T/C Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/C Hunter View Post
So with the pinion: I take it that a little forward and backward movement is fine & nothing to be concerned about ,as long as there is at least one shim per side? I set my stock worm gears up with shims to get to the least amount of play but still keeping it free of drag and friction. All of my axle gears were set up very well right from the factory. I only needed to make sure not to over tighten the 2 halfs of the axle to keep things running smoothly. I am looking forward to buying & installing the H.D gears ASAP. Should we keep the same pinon gear I run or drop a tooth ?? Thanks for the teck tips.
On the HD gears, the spacing is slightly different. One shim on either side of the HD pinion is enough to keep it from having back and forth movement.

Since the HD gears are a faster ratio (21:1) you would need to drop down a few pinions on the motor if you wanted to keep the same ratio. I'm still running a 16t pinion on my motor, and the truck still has more low end then it did with stock worm gears... but it is considerably faster now.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for posting this !
Briguy-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
After that, enjoy the extra wheelspeed and cooler temps
I most certainly will!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Thanks for keeping up on the support for the LCC. These gears should provide a breath of life into everyone's rig.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Jake! Any idea when they might be available for purchase?
d34thw1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

They are available from Horizon Hobby right now.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Thanks for the setup tips!
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #13

Thanks Jake for the Info, My set of HD gears are in route, Ordered and confirmed today, looking forward to installing them....
teampurpleracn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info
DRCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

cant wait to get mine
LCC4TWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Bump for the info.

Gotta get this out to everyone.

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the bump up i see a whole lot more wheel speed with the new gears thanks losi
joe daigle jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

got mine in. thanks for the tips. they seem smoother. thank you losi!!!
EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default Shim issues

I took out the factory worm gears out of the rear axial and before I did they spun by hand smoothly. When I put in the new hd ones I tried the silver shims first one on each side and on the worm gear one shim on each side. Put it back togeather and it binds when I spin it by hand even with the 4 housing screws loose. I took it apart and put in the black shims same. When you spin it by hand it spins nice for a few turns then it gets tight. This rig has 0 run time could it be its not broken in.

On another note I put in a 3/16th Allen screw for greasing in the center of the hub and that binds to, even with it flush inside the housing it must push just enough on the hd gears, which pretty much is toching the housing anyways. I'm going to get a new housing and I'm not going to use the screw for greasing with the hd gears.
Gso125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #20
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gso125 View Post
I took out the factory worm gears out of the rear axial and before I did they spun by hand smoothly. When I put in the new hd ones I tried the silver shims first one on each side and on the worm gear one shim on each side. Put it back togeather and it binds when I spin it by hand even with the 4 housing screws loose. I took it apart and put in the black shims same. When you spin it by hand it spins nice for a few turns then it gets tight. This rig has 0 run time could it be its not broken in.

On another note I put in a 3/16th Allen screw for greasing in the center of the hub and that binds to, even with it flush inside the housing it must push just enough on the hd gears, which pretty much is toching the housing anyways. I'm going to get a new housing and I'm not going to use the screw for greasing with the hd gears.
when you put the grease hole in did you do it before you put the housing
together?

maybe some plastic debris got in there or the back side of the hole is pushed out some. its a very tight area so possibly the screw is hitting or something got in there.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote