Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Pinion size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Pinion size?

Running a Losi 17.5 motor with a Xcelorin ESC ; What size pinion is the highest you can go for crawling + best wheel speed? I don't wont to fry my electronics . Any experiences with this combo would be very helpful.
T/C Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

12 or 13
bigg rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yea I've been using a 13. and tried a 14 too. No heat problems at all. Is that 12 or 13 tooth the highest you'd dare go ? That 14 tooth has some real kick @$$ wheel speed and low end torque was great too. I just don't know if how hard I can push this set up ??
Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Im using a 14T pinion with my 18.5. As long as the temp, torque, and wheel speed are to your liking keep running it.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default Pinions with a 17.5

It's Hard to decide between the 2 or maybe even 3.. I still haven't tried my 15 yet. The 13 runs real cool. Low end torque is great ,she'll crawl real slow and top end wheel speed is o.K . The 14 barley gets warm to touch , low end torque is great , crawl speed is still good n' slow and top end wheel speed is much better than the 13. I might try the 15 just to see how she feels , but I don't want to push my luck.,
Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I prefer 14 for most courses but there are a few I`ll use a 15 . No heat issues at all with either .

I`m running the Xcelorin 17.5 with a Tekin RS Pro ESC .
Briguy-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default Pinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy-01 View Post
I prefer 14 for most courses but there are a few I`ll use a 15 . No heat issues at all with either .

Cool Thanks ; I will have to try that 15 sometime soon then. I bet the wheel speed is insane. I was just worried about it being to much on the motor and ESC , But like you said no heat no worries.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

hunter, what advantage did you see changing out the lnc motor to the 17.5?
not sure the difference...
went out today and i was thinking about gearing, id like to see it have a lil more umph when i squeze into the throttle slowly going over a steep incline...i feel now with the 20 t gear, im having to supply more throttle and sometimes wheel hops me over backwards. (not sure if that made sense, lol sorry.)

is the motor size and pinion gear size the only gearing availible to change out on the losi plat form? my top speed is fine, and dont see a need to make it faster that im aware of, just want more low end grunt slow speed torque.

oh, n still using the factory esc, 5000mah nmhi
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default LCC Not LNC

I have a LCC not a LNC. Some how you misunderstood what I have ,or I made a typing error. My Losi Xcelorin ESC/ Motor combo rocks I don't know what your running for electronics so I really can't help ya out. You may want to check out what a few guys are doing to run the LNC on 3S and what they have done to make that rig more {Crawler} than multi purpose. Good luck I'm sure you'll find some great tips here at RCCrawler.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

hmmm, sorry for the mix up t/c, not sure why i thought you had a lnc...
if it helps, im running a fm futaba 3pm synthesized set up, lnc factory esc and motor-20t pinion with a 5000mah 6cell pack.
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
Y-Town Crawlers

I'm running a 16t pinion on my Xcelorin 17.5 setup with HD worm gears

I would probably start with a 14t and go up if you need more wheelspeed
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
I'm running a 16t pinion on my Xcelorin 17.5 setup with HD worm gears

I would probably start with a 14t and go up if you need more wheel speed
WOW I bet that has insane wheel speed . A few questions I have on the Xcelorin ESC set up. What is the best program selections for {Initial Acceleration} ? I was running it on Med. and tried High and wow what a difference. But I get a little stumble when I punch the throttle. Same question with timing selection: I tried all of them and of course the highest gives me the most aggressive behavior . And last question: {Neutral Dead band}. I had mine at the lowest. Could you please educate me on what is the best set up for the Xcelorin 17.5 combo. My temps are staying low with any of the three pinions I have. {13/14/15}. I would like to have the most powerful set up that I can have and I'm not worried about run time. I will be ordering the H.D worm gears very soon. Thanks for the input; Looks like your the guy that can point me in the right direction for sure. P.S I am running 3S Lipos

Last edited by T/C Hunter; 01-03-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default Update

Got my New Turnigy Nano 3s lipo Packs today. OMG they ROCK & fit great. Now running my Initail Throttle response on { High} again & no more stuttering . All the torque , and wheel speed I could ask for. Finally got my Losi Xcelorin ESC /17.5 motor combo working Great !!!! Time to go hunt down some rocky terrain now.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like your enjoying your latest investment T/C? and now the tuning begins! I'm pretty much at the same point with my new Novak 3S Goat System just ironing out a few settings etc... keep at it T/C good work so far buddy!
bogfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default Thanks Bull Frog

Oh yea ; Loving it. Learning as I go. I have my ESC/ Motor set up working great now. I can now launch over belly draggers from a dead stop and my wheel speed is all I need to rip up inclines if I can't get enough traction. Next will be wheel weights and maybe new larger tires . My crawler is also completely re-wired now , it's neat and clean looking. Looking forward to getting into some competitions this coming spring. Waiting for my buddies to get there's
Old 01-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

got a 14t on my 18.5, workin good so far
LCC4TWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy-01 View Post

What rotor are you running? {12.5 mm or the 13.5mm crawler one? } Mine is the 12.5mm and the 13 tooth pinion seems to be my best choice for best low end torque and overall wheel speed . Running a 14 is as high as I would go because the 15 has way to much wheel speed and slow speed crawling is hard to keep under control. Looking forward trying the 13.5 crawler rotor with the new H.D worm gear kit. I think that combo will be the perfect combo.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Im running a 21.5 Xcelorin and the Xcelorin ESC, 2 cells for now. What gear should i start with on the LNC? Ive got 14 and 18.
MikeinFresno is offline   Reply With Quote