Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: JoNeS'N LCC Poison Dart build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Tossin' Salad

Default JoNeS'N LCC Poison Dart build

OK, I ran out and bought myself an LCC Race Roller yesterday, so the fun shall begin tonight.

Basic parts list:

JoNeS'N Frogger V2.1 "The Poison Dart" chassis (in grey)
LCC race roller
Losi Xcelorin 13.5T brushless system
HS-7940TH servo @ 7.4 volts
CC BEC
Not sure on wheels and tires yet, but probably going to go with some B.A.M. wheels again.

Let the fun begin.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

This should be a good build. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one. PS TY for the great contact in buying a PD for myself. Cant wait to see it!
roadman440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman440 View Post
This should be a good build. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one. PS TY for the great contact in buying a PD for myself. Cant wait to see it!
Thanks mate! OK, here are some updates.

I got the suspension mocked up, but not completed. Here is a shot where I plan to mount the trans, but need to shorten the front driveshaft a bit to make it fit here.

And, if you look closely at the next couple shots, you can see the trans is pushed back due to the driveshaft. Also, this is a good starting point for my suspension. Now I just need to limit my front shocks to 3.5".

NOTE: the lower links are not the frog legs yet as I have no Traxxas Rod ends. (Just ordered a bunch yesterday). I will change over to the frog legs when the rod ends arrive.

More updates coming soon. Now, I need to dig into my Tamiya DF-03RA and pull out my Losi Xcelorin 13.5T system. Also, need to locate my HS-7940TH servo.

It is getting there.

Casey

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 05-21-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I like it

Not sure on the rear link tho.. i would drill the chassis to drop the rear lowers on the chassis.. other than that it looks great

Whats the lenght come in at?
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Coming along pretty good, cant wait to see more. those chassis look sweet!
derteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

In the last pic, in the background, what shocks and springs are you using on the finished ones? The springs look tiny. How do they hold up?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post
I like it

Not sure on the rear link tho.. i would drill the chassis to drop the rear lowers on the chassis.. other than that it looks great

Whats the lenght come in at?
As I am sure you know, the Losi Trans has the outputs extremely to one side, causing an issue with upper link placement. This chassis is quite narrow, and I am having to think a bit differently on this build. So far, the rear seems to be working quite well as it cycles...however, the front plain sucks. I hate the way the upper links mount to the axle. I want to make a plate up front for a 4 link and the servo.

The length right now sits at 12" exactly, but I will fix that with the frog legs when my rod ends arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derteracing View Post
Coming along pretty good, cant wait to see more. those chassis look sweet!
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman440 View Post
In the last pic, in the background, what shocks and springs are you using on the finished ones? The springs look tiny. How do they hold up?
The shocks in the front of both of those back rigs are Traxxas big bores (3.5") with Losi Mini-T springs. They work awesome, and allow for maximum steering before the tires contact the shock body. I highly recommend them.

Casey
Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Tossin' Salad

Got some more done today.

shortened the front driveshaft by about 1/2"
limited the front shocks by using fuel tubing inside (1/2")
mounted the shocks upside down
switched the shock rod ends to Axial ends
pulled the motor, ESC, and BEC out of my Tamiya Subaru to put into this bad boy

As you can see, the front upper links are horrible. I hate the way they mount to the axle. I will do something to fix that ASAP.

Things left to do:

mount the trans
pull my HS-225 mini servo out of my other rig to be used as a dig servo
rework the front upper links
get my Revo ends in to work with my frog legs
Reprogram the BEC to 7.4 volts

Casey
Old 05-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

what spring rate and oil weight are you using with the traxxas big bores and mini t spings?
derteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Man it's the best looking chassis for a lcc IMO

It's always hard to tell from pics, have you considered running the links outside the chassis? It would likely bring them out to the stock width too.

Cheers
Dan
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by derteracing View Post
what spring rate and oil weight are you using with the traxxas big bores and mini t spings?
The weight is 30W, and the springs are the front Mini-T (stiff). I really like this setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post
Man it's the best looking chassis for a lcc IMO

It's always hard to tell from pics, have you considered running the links outside the chassis? It would likely bring them out to the stock width too.

Cheers
Dan
Thanks Dan!

Actually, I do plan to outboard the front uppers and make them a bit shorter...this should fix all the issues with them. I am waiting on some rod ends to show up, but I am confident I should have this done and running the way I want it by week's end.

Casey
Old 05-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

cool thanks
Old 05-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Hey Casey,

This came as quite a shock. Very creative ! Just goes to show how universal you made this chassis. AWESOME !
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Hey Casey,,,,looks great. I haven't started mine yet, but I'm not following or seeing the issues your talking about with the front top links!! Can you explain a bit further. I got your frog legs with my kit, and I actually have a set of the big bore shocks with the mini springs that I planned on using with this.
So buy using the big bores, I can forgo messing with limiting them to 3.5 inches, but is that just for the front? Will the big bores work on all 4 corners?
I actually got a package of the traxxas rod ends, revo and jato, these are the ends needed to incorporate the frog legs into the build?

Can't wait to get started on my build,,,,chassis really looks nice!!!

Thanks

Mike
mgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgauger View Post
Hey Casey,,,,looks great. I haven't started mine yet, but I'm not following or seeing the issues your talking about with the front top links!! Can you explain a bit further. I got your frog legs with my kit, and I actually have a set of the big bore shocks with the mini springs that I planned on using with this.
So buy using the big bores, I can forgo messing with limiting them to 3.5 inches, but is that just for the front? Will the big bores work on all 4 corners?
I actually got a package of the traxxas rod ends, revo and jato, these are the ends needed to incorporate the frog legs into the build?

Can't wait to get started on my build,,,,chassis really looks nice!!!

Thanks

Mike
Hey Mike,

Top links...they are mounted very low so there is very little vertical separation. I basically remove the upper links and try to fasten them a bit higher up...like on the plates. I will show pics later of the front. The movement is now perfect.

Shocks...the chassis was designed to use a 3.5" shock up front, and a 4" shock out back. Now, you can use any combination of shocks to achieve this, and yes, you can use big bores at all 4 corners...but, just make sure to do what you can to get the front shocks to 3.5"-3.6" and the rears to 4".

Frog legs...These are used to set the wheelbase. If you have Revo ends, you are nearly there. You will also have to find some 4mm set screws. You may need to get some Jato ends (The long ones) to get the wheel base the way you want it. I have not reached that point in my build yet, as I am still waiting for my Revo ends.

Most of the questions you have about the build will be answered with this thread upon my further completion.

Casey
Old 05-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Yes, I'm looking forward to updates on your build!! I actually do have both the revo rod ends and the longer Jato rod ends sitting on my work bench and all the 4mm set screws needed!!! I'm in the process of putting a set of the new Chaotic Crawler links on my xr10 which require both!!

I hope to get my chassis built this week and get it mocked up soon. I will try and get some pics this time, have never done or posted a build before but this seems to be a good place to start!!!

Thanks for the reply

Mike
mgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #17
Tossin' Salad

OK, I made a bit more progress the last few hours. Here you can see how I drilled my front servo plate to be able to use a different type of front upper link setup.

The movement is much better now, and there is no axle steer under compression.

Now, onto other matters....it turns out this skidplate is not setup properly to use the Losi tranny. So, in order to mount it and not interfere with the lower link screws, you have to mount the tranny in reverse. This should not be an issue, and in fact puts the motor weight forward in the chassis.

Casey
Old 05-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #18
Tossin' Salad

Now, I am just waiting for my Revo rod ends and my SR300 RX. Once those arrive, I will be in business.

Casey
Old 05-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #19
Defy Gravity

i'm liking where this is going, are you planning a low-cg dig servo mount to fit this chassis, or just mounting it on top of the trans? also, slick thinking on just mounting the links underneath on the servo mount. those axles need some scratches though!
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 AM   #20
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
i'm liking where this is going, are you planning a low-cg dig servo mount to fit this chassis, or just mounting it on top of the trans? also, slick thinking on just mounting the links underneath on the servo mount. those axles need some scratches though!
Thanks man...nah, I am just going to run my HS-225 micro servo up on top of the trans. It weighs nearly nothing, and space is pretty valuable inside a bodiless chassis.

The axles will get some scratches soon enough.