Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Why did I do this (relocation of upper link ends)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Question Why did I do this (relocation of upper link ends)?

I've seen quite a few rigs where the rear upper link ends have been relocated on the axle. The common denominators are closer together and higher up than the stock position. (Extreme case being some "shark fin" on top of the axle where the ends are mounted.)

I did this simple relocation:

The primary direct result, as can be seen below, is that the drive shaft now runs almost straight at the worm pinion, reducing friction.

My question is: What other effects can I expect from this mod? (Why do so many other do something similar?)
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Defy Gravity

Default Re: Why did I do this (relocation of upper link ends)?

the reasoning is to get more link separation. the stock locations are far too close, this allows the suspension to be in a squat position, meaning in the simplest terms, the rear shocks will retract on a climb (or rotating the rear tires rearward by hand). the shark fin allows the user to get to a neutral squat/anti-squat position, or to configure for anti-squat, forcing the rear shocks up in the same situation, transferring the weight forward instead of pulling it back. i've come to like a lot of anti-squat on my rig, neutral is a good starting point though. takes about 6mm above stock to go to neutral with the stock chassis. increasing the link separation also allows the user to put more bend in the links for clearance, a side-effect, but useful in its own right.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks for clearing that up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
... neutral is a good starting point though. takes about 6mm above stock to go to neutral...
So my minimalistic uninvasive change makes a good starting point? Cool.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I thought you were done after your tranny flip.
Dini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
Defy Gravity

no problem on clearing it up

your's is probably the most simple and not to mention cheapest way to go about it on a stock chassis. for a high clearance rig like the phoenix, ya need the shark fin to clear up the massive squat.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dini View Post
I thought you were done after your tranny flip.
Not by a longshot!
- I'm waiting for a set of rims that were mailed in Sacramento on the 5th, processed first in Sacramento and then twice in LA by the 13th. Curious to see when they arrive here in Sweden...
- In two weeks or so I plan to purchase a new ESC (MMP).
- Then it's time for a new motor, after that new batteries, and so on...

Constant evolution is the key for now, since I've had my crawler less than a year and the first couple of months were spent getting rid of most of the unnecessary friction.

Why did I do this (relocation of upper link ends)? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
upper link length for honcho with 4-link truss 2500hdon37s Axial SCX-10 19 08-04-2012 08:46 PM
***Giveaway*** Gear Head RC SCX10 Rear Shock Relocation Kit! Ends Fri. 6/8/12 Gear Head RC Axial SCX-10 109 06-08-2012 09:13 PM
Turnbuckle upper links? Different shock ends? meatmonkey Axial SCX-10 0 04-26-2011 08:02 PM
Using an T-Maxx upper a arm for a upper link gregrocks90046 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 0 08-01-2005 04:01 PM
link relocation help bigdangerous Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 16 07-29-2004 02:17 PM