Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Goo Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Goo Build

Well, my Honcho is Gumby, so since I'll stick with the blue color, I call my LNC "Goo" since it's another Gumby character

Bought it off a guy who had it for a week. I've wanted an LNC, so went for it

Build will be slow and will do things as I need/ want to

I wanted to tear into the tires to check out the weight the guy before me put in. He had about 4.5 F/ 3 R. I added 3oz to the rear and switched the tires around so it's now 6F/ 4.5R (total tires weigh 10.5F/ 9R).

Also hated the stock foams, so threw some ProLines in there and they feel a LOT better. Can't wait to run them

Was going to get some Rovers, but they were white dot and I think the pinks are softer... ?

The stock ESC died so have to replace that

Going to mess with shocks and have some axle stuff I may try out
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Goo Build

I run the white rovers and ive had the pink. depending on what you run on pink is too soft (idk how that is possible). I got bound up alot and getting past under cuts was a pain in the butt.
sixshooterstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

That makes sense
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looking into a new body. However, I'd like to do something different. I was looking at using a non-crawler body and chopping it up enough to work with the LNC

Anyone have any ideas of what they think would be interesting to see on an LNC?

I have one idea I'd like to try
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Defy Gravity

depends really, i've seen some racing truggy bodies that may look sweet on a crawler, also more scale lexan shells work out if you're into that sort of thing. seen jk's on an lnc and they looked ok.

all comes down to personal taste man, you're the one that's going to have to live with it in the long run.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
NFG
Pebble Pounder

I thought about a Mini Cooper body for awhile. Then I went with the Bug. Best rollover recovery body I have seen so far....
NFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I was going to try a 1/16 Raptor body. The 1/10 is too big I think and don't want to bother bobbing the bed. The 1/16 might work and for the price isn't too bad for a "I'll-try-it-and-see-how-it-does" kind of body

Or may make something similar to DMG, lol. I like that look
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Defy Gravity

just depends on the dimensions if you want to stay comp legal, check out the USRCCA rules, they will have all you need to know before placing an order
Old 10-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Would be nice to comp, but haven't heard of many in So Cal. I'd like to try it once

Wish there was a "DGAF rules!" class, haha

Not like I couldn't buy another body
Old 10-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
Would be nice to comp, but haven't heard of many in So Cal. I'd like to try it once

Wish there was a "DGAF rules!" class, haha

Not like I couldn't buy another body
Quite a few in SoCal, usually up in the high dessert near Victorville. Check the West Coast RC Crawlers web site for event info...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Vville is too far for me, haha

I'll look around though. Would be interesting to try out a comp
Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
NFG
Pebble Pounder

I jumped right in and started Comp'ing with my LNC. We have no Sportsman Class at the LMRCC so I was lumped in with the MOA dominated Novice Class. With in two Comps I was buying a LCC and faired much better. You really have to try a Comp. Once you have tried it there is no turning back. Totally addictive. I love it! In fact tomorrow morning we are meeting up at a buddies garage for a fun Comp. Our season is over till March so Mike (my buddy) is hosting these events till the real thing starts up again. Great times with lots of smack talk and joking around. We all share info on set-up and the Pro drivers coach the new guys. I'll post some pictures later.

But like I said. Find a Comp and get out there and learn what these rigs can do. Video just doesn't do them justice.
NFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Did some crawling with a buddy today

I love the new foams, but they seem a little too soft for bind situations or flat/ undercut faces. I think some 2 stage foams would help keep them not so soft. Other than that, they were great

Weights in the wheels seemed to keep the tires planted pretty well. I'm thinking about putting some 40- 50W oil in the shocks for smoother travel

Deff need to make some high clearance links

My motor was running very hot by the end and my ESC was on the hot side as well (stock Axial AE-1)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFG View Post
I jumped right in and started Comp'ing with my LNC. We have no Sportsman Class at the LMRCC so I was lumped in with the MOA dominated Novice Class. With in two Comps I was buying a LCC and faired much better. You really have to try a Comp. Once you have tried it there is no turning back. Totally addictive. I love it! In fact tomorrow morning we are meeting up at a buddies garage for a fun Comp. Our season is over till March so Mike (my buddy) is hosting these events till the real thing starts up again. Great times with lots of smack talk and joking around. We all share info on set-up and the Pro drivers coach the new guys. I'll post some pictures later.

But like I said. Find a Comp and get out there and learn what these rigs can do. Video just doesn't do them justice.
I wish Losi would have not stoped making the LCC. I have the LNC and they are a sweet rig but iam dieing to try a LCC
Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Bought some 50W oil. Will mess with it all later
Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Got my new Spektrum radio dialed in for Goo. Pretty cool all the different adjustments you can make

Threw the shock oil in. I'm wondering if there was 40W in there because I've felt the one at the LHS and theirs doesn't feel sluggish at all (guy working there said he thinks stock is about 15W)

Anyway, I could see a diff in the dampening when doing a side by side compression and quick droop test, but I'm not sure if I'll notice a diff on the rocks

They're also soaking in hot soapy water since they were kind of oil residue-y and dirty

Next will be HD worms as it sounded like they were starting to squeak during the last outing
Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
Defy Gravity

if things are audibly squeaking, you've got a different problem than the worms themselves. the first place to look, and easiest to fix are the cv's and driveshaft cups. a squirt of dry graphite will shut them up if that's the problem.

second would be a failing worm bearing. not uncommon with the lnc, they can't unload the axles like an lcc can in binds. so the worm bearing take more of a beating. couple that with the cheapo bearings losi put in stock, and stuff goes downhill in a hurry. fast eddy has a very nice kit put together for losi worm rigs, it'll cover either an lnc or lcc.

the worst case is poor lubrication. not to discount your maintenance cycles (i don't know how you roll with them), but these things crave lube. a good moly grease works wonders, if you can't find that, some chainsaw grease works well. you can convert to oil (theREDCAT has a write up in his thread), but i've had great success with deere hd moly (search in my thread for a link). also key here is your cycle, eventually grease gathers up metal particles that are worn from the gears, its very important to get the old grease out and new in on a regular basis. i do around 3 hour axle teardowns, but i'm pretty obsessive about it as well. around 5 hours is when you should do a teardown on the axles, if you're getting more debris and grease breakdown then go less, if the grease still looks clear of debris, you can go to a higher hour count. the big factors here are your driving habits and the amount of power you're running. more power means you're going to want to teardown more often.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I've only run it a few times since getting it. However, I'm wondering if someone else may have had it before the guy I bought it off? The body was pretty thrashed and he seemed like he didn't crawl a lot

I'll check a few of those things. I wanted to put oil in the axles and know of a way I want to do that. I have a TVC meet on Sat so it'll have to wait until after then. I assumed it was the worm because the rear diff felt a little warmer than the front, but I'll take a look into all the other things too
Old 10-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Defy Gravity

a seized bearing will heat up a diff pretty well too. when that happens you're running a steel bushing for all intents and purposes. the pinion bearings are the first to go for me, but the spool bearings can easily pack up as well.

these are really simple, if it heats up, open and inspect. without cracking open the cases and having a look at the gears and bearings themselves before ordering, you can end up spending more money than you really need to, and having more downtime for ordering the wrong part for the problem.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I ordered a set of the HD worms off eBay from the one thread in this section because they were so cheap, but I'm only going to do the front because I've noticed that I need to overdrive the front. Wish there were stronger worms that were the stock tooth count. Prob should pick up some CVD axles too

I'll crack open the axles when the gears come in. I'll have time then

I'll post up on how I do the oil mod when I do it

Goo Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use syringe for shoe goo BubbaEinstein Tools, and Procedures 4 04-27-2012 01:32 PM
Shoe Goo spiderxx Chit Chat 4 01-31-2012 08:11 PM
Shoe Goo everywhere.... solomon7 Paint and Body 3 08-10-2010 07:07 PM
Shoe Goo red jim Tires and Wheels 9 01-30-2008 07:18 AM