Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi MOA budget "re"build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Losi MOA budget "re"build

I've been running a Losi MOA for the last 8 months with mixed results. I had no intention of jumping to MOA at the time, but a set of axels with the Eritex kit and a Gate 11 Sinister Pro chassis fell in my lap, so I figured I would at least build it and start learning DIG controls. I don't have much money to put into my RC hobby, so I scraped together the cheapest parts I could to get going. I had an un-hacked GT3B, so I only had 2pos 3rd channel, which I found a way to make work thanks to HeyOK, and his DIG unit. I got 2 integy 35T motors on sale, and a CC speed control, along with a Savox SC-1256TG servo on a CC BEC at 6V. My first mistake was trying to underdrive the rear (no mixing), which caused binding, and burnt up 2 motors before I figured out the issue. Once that was figured out I started tweaking the geometry, the lower links were with the chassis and I had to figure out the uppers on my own, same with running the shocks. Given the motor orientation, I had to stash all my electronics in the tight center of the chassis, and the stock servo mount left me with a rear battery mount (and having to run a 1500mah 3s put a lot of weight back there). I was also running it narrow, at 10 1/4" width. The next issue was the front lower links, I was using stock XR10 angled plastics (they came on the chassis when I got it), I got bound up, and bent them out sideways, shrinking my wheelbase to about 9". They bent right back after I unbound it, but that was the beginning of the end of that setup. I never took a pic of it, but someone snapped this at Battle Grounds, it is the one in the foreground.

I recently bought a used DX3R and wantamix from a fellow club member, so I figured I might as well redo this thing and try to fix some of the issues at the same time. I stripped the entire crawler to pieces and began by making a set of jigs out of aluminum L to hold my wheelbase, and locked in my axels. Then ran new bottom links. I'm using Traxxas #5319 for both front and rear lowers, unbent. The old XR10 ones didn't seem to help anything, and the custom rear delrin ones were fat and rubbing my rear motor. The uppers are Traxxas silver (shorter links can't remember the number) in the rear, and some Axial 55mm links in the front (may change). One Issue I was not able to overcome in the rebuild was the center chassis of the Sinister pro doesn't allow much clearance with the motors (it was designed for use with Bully axels), as it has protrusions at the front and rear. My rear motor clears buy 5mm and I limited my front articulation so as the motor just barely touches the one up there. I made a custom offset servo mount out of aluminum L angle, that goes full width of the axel and will house some electronics once I get those squared away. Still being on a budget and not able to run out and get new ESCs for the dual setup, I'll be running dual Axial AE-1 speed controls on it until I can afford some Sidewinder Micros. Another change that has been made (partly because of the servo reposition) was to widen my wheels out to 11". I have Eritex wheels with the variable mount center.

Not sure yet if I will be running the chassis cab, or a body yet. Also not sure where the battery will get stashed now (probably on the side of the chassis). I'll get a pic of it as it is now and post it up with progress reports.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Losi MOA budget "re"build

Well, an update on progress... not good. The AE-1s didn't act right, sporadic throttle at first, then all or nothing then the wantamix wasn't doing anything but solid red and green lights, no matter the pot positions. I ordered 2 Micro Sidewinders when Tower was having a sale over the holidays and swapped those in. The wantamix was unchanged, and I got no throttle through it (had a fellow club member double check I wasn't the issue, lol). So until I can find out if losikid can checkout/fix the wantamix, I ordered a The Dig to put in and get me running....hopefully.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi MOA budget "re"build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finishlines C1 SCX10 Yota "Christmas Budget Build" finishline 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 01-02-2013 05:04 PM
Black Label Crawlers "Chopper" MOA LCC Build! Jeepial Team Losi Comp Crawler 580 11-04-2010 06:53 PM
"Tri-Clops" Hot Racing MOA Build HauntFreaks.com General Crawlers 44 05-06-2009 02:25 PM