Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: odds and no ends to questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default odds and no ends to questions

hey guys whats up, i have been on here for awhile reading and gathering info on rc crawling forever and i decided to actually take the step and get an xr10. needless to say you all know they are discontinued and i ended up trading my tmax for a losi night crawler with a bad esc. he did give me 50$ with it so i feel good. i went out and bought a xl5 traxxas esc because that is what my local hobbie shop had and i wanted to get going.

got it home got everything working but i didnt have the xl5 set up for lipo mode before i went to crawl just turned it on basically (my friends fault) lol. could that have damaged my motor?. i built a small course in my barn with some big rocks off my jeep course out of an old stream bed down here in glen rock and ten mins in my motor starts to smoke and when there is any kind of drag or just pressing down on the crawler and trying to move it doesnt do a thing and motor gets hot. is that my motor that is messed up? can i fit a 550 size motor onto it? what esc and motor combo is good choice for the lnc... since the goat 3s isnt available anymore. do i need brushless? can i buy just a brushless motor for my xl5 esc..

i know these questions are probably beaten to death in the forums and i have looked all day to find the answers, i dont want to give up on this crawler bc i ordered a bunch of lcc parts and spent money on it to begin with. but if i dont get the answers ill need im going to just buy a berg

also if anyone is into wheeling in pa i live near york and plan on going alot.
4everyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: odds and no ends to questions

Your definitely going to want to go brushless with the LNC!
I have run 2 kinds of brushed motors with unsatisfying results. I finally went brushless like everyone recommends and have had satisfying results from the truck now.

rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

not positive on the lnc but I ran a titan 21 in the lcc for couple years. finally went back to brushless. the titan worked great for me but did burn up several good luck
thomass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Pretty sure that the xl5 is a non-sensored esc. And sensorless brushless in crawling (especially Losi Chassis) is no fun. Cogs and jumps at low speed.

What I would do is look at the brushed 21T Titan motor to pair with the xl5. It will get you back running cheap and I have heard of good success in the Losi platform. It will not last long, so save up for a good sensored brushless system. I have a very good system that I got used for about $100. Mamba Max Pro and Novak Balistic 18.5 Crawler. Don't normally recommend buying electronics used (especially ESCs), but it was a trusted source and it has been excellent for me.

Please let me know if that does not make sense or have other questions.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Xl5 is a brushed only esc so no, you can't just buy a brushless motor for it
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

dang that really sux since i just spent 75$ on it, but its good to have answers. will the 550 size motor fit on my lnc for time being bc i have two of them. ones a 20t and the other is a 55t, if i go with a brushless should i stay around 18.5t or 21t?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everyoung View Post
dang that really sux since i just spent 75$ on it, but its good to have answers. will the 550 size motor fit on my lnc for time being bc i have two of them. ones a 20t and the other is a 55t, if i go with a brushless should i stay around 18.5t or 21t?
I started with a 21.5 on 3s and it ran great. It was a little slow, but its called crawling...right. It did everything else beautifully.

But when I started comping, there was always that one gate that I needed wheelspeed to make. So I have landed at 17.5 or 18.5 on 3s, and I am clearing everything easily (Well, not easily, but it's not the Losis fault). If there is a gate where I need even more wheelspeed I put in a 4s pack for that course.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

i just put a 20t axial motor on and im back in business for now, looking to go brushless like the novac crusher crawler motor and esc combo from tcs for 178 pretty cheap, thinking about trying to dig when i do that but where do i find the dig transmission at from the lcc
Old 11-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Good call on the Axial motor.

Suggestion
With tax and shipping, very close in price to the Novak. But way, way gooder.

Castle Creations 1 10 Mamba Max Pro ESC Smart Sense Speed Control 010 0066 00 | eBay

New Novak Ballistic Crawler Brushless Motor 18 5T 1650KV 3618 | eBay

Novak Motors are top notch, but their electronics have marginal reviews. I have a Goat 3s I got in a trade, pristine, but I have not run it yet. I want to, just a little nervous with what I have read.

If you are set on Novak be sure to check out their factory remanufactured stuff. I have had great success with the motors, and saved some money.

Just Sayin'
Old 11-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

so i threw that axial motor in and ten mins of running it just now i smelled it and a second later smoke was rolling out of the hood, another one down. im gonna go to the hobbie shop and get some grease and tear apart my axles and tranny n lube the crap out of everything bc there sounds like theres some kind of binding/grinding sound right before the motors went out, probably just the motor but better safe then sorry
Old 11-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everyoung View Post
so i threw that axial motor in and ten mins of running it just now i smelled it and a second later smoke was rolling out of the hood, another one down. im gonna go to the hobbie shop and get some grease and tear apart my axles and tranny n lube the crap out of everything bc there sounds like theres some kind of binding/grinding sound right before the motors went out, probably just the motor but better safe then sorry
Also look through Olle P Friction reduction thread.

All his suggestions are good, but the one where I noticed the biggest difference is unscrewing the rear lockouts 1/2 turn. Mine were tight, and after I loosened them my electronics barely get warm.

When you have the motor out spin the driveshaft to see how free the drivetrain feels.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

i just went to my local hobbie shop and he got me squared away with a motor from integy and told me to grease the worms so i think that what ill do, the guy i got it from was also there out of cawincadince (spelling?) and told me he wheeled it for a year until i got it wich i thought he only had it for a couple of months so that is probably the problem. the hobby shop guy looked over everything and said its most likely that bc everything else looks good
Old 12-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #13
RCC Addict

The one motor I'm set on buying for my LCC is Holmes Revolver S 540.
Should be fast enough on 4S, with very nice low end from the 14 pole sensored motor...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote