Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Uh Oh! DIG Is Not Happy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Uh Oh! DIG Is Not Happy!

Well I gotta admit, Ive been running Losi crawlers since '09 and this is the FIRST issue Ive had with a LCC Trans.

I have bought ALL my Losi's used and NEVER had to open up an LCC trans!

My question is:
When dig is normal position (all 4 wheels driving), the front wheels will lock-up when I punch the throttle (as if disengaged). Once I let off and try to drive away slow, it acts as normal.

If I slowly ramp up my speed to full throttle, its fine, but the quick throttle blips will lock up the front wheels!

If I engage the DIG using the third channel (front or rear) it works as it should with no problems. But return to 4WD, and issue shows back up!

Before I go and buy parts to rebuild, is it necessary? Or. does something sound out of adjustment?
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Uh Oh! DIG Is Not Happy!

Sorry dude just saw this. You probably already fixed it by now.

But, I would bet you some serious money that it is the dig plates. They are a consumable part. WHEN you open the trans you will find plastic chards all through it. That is the plates, from normal use. They will last longer if you ease up on the throttle when shifting the dig, but we all know how that goes.

I would suggest NOT getting the Hot Racing metal ones, then the mentioned plastic chards would be metal. Ask me how I know. I had great success with the stock gears, but replaced them with the HR metal set and they have been great also.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks! I have not opened up the trans yet. Ive been so busy getting our Club Crawler display ready for the Auto-Rama that I have not had time.

Dig plates were my guess, but I just thought it was weird how it works fine when DIG is engaged, but screws up when disengaged...
Old 03-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
Thanks! I have not opened up the trans yet. Ive been so busy getting our Club Crawler display ready for the Auto-Rama that I have not had time.

Dig plates were my guess, but I just thought it was weird how it works fine when DIG is engaged, but screws up when disengaged...
That actually makes perfect sense with worn dig plates. Because when the dig is engaged it shifts the mechanism toward the outdrive compressing the spring holding the dig plate to the outdrive. Putting more force to hold the plate and outdrive together. When shifted back to 4wd the spring relaxes (still applying force, but less) thus providing less force to hold them together. Causing it to jump teeth and since the worm is actuated by the drive shaft..it locks.

Hope that makes sense. But I know it will make sense when you get in there.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Welp, its all good to go now!

Found out the main issue was another bad dig servo! IDK why, but it would operate as normal, but after a few seconds in the neutral position, it would start to gradually apply pressure forward until the dig plate slipped!

I did rip out the trans and open it up. The dig plates had virtually no wear so kept them. Greased it up a bit, stretched out the springs a little and swapped out my third ( and last spare!) dig servo.

Working like a charm!

Uh Oh! DIG Is Not Happy! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Hammers Happy but not so happy at the same time angeloreyes27 Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 08-20-2013 06:23 AM