Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Testing 1 2 3

Notices

Thread: test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default test

First let me again thank CKRC Crawlers for the chance to win a BTA kit. And as asked my build thread for their BTA steering kit. Sorry it's taken so long but with my new job and working 55-60 hours a week has really cut into my play time.

Next I just want to point something out, after reading the instructions on the web site this is a defiantly a more involved process than just bolting on an aftermarket part. This is how I did mine, please don’t blame me if you follow this and yours does not work out. I used a very crappy and inaccurate plastic micrometer from ACE Hardware, and the old close one eye and squint method.
I am in the process of chassis swap, so that’s why I am just working on just the axle. But after doing it, I probably would of removed it any way.

First I took off my billet knuckles and Axial universal axles. Then I grabbed an old set of the OEM's plastic knuckles. I know what the instructions say about using the plastic ones and I agree. But what the instructions don’t tell you is where exactly where to drill and tap the hole. Plus I have another reason why I am using the plastic ones. So between the 2 sets I have already plus I got a set from justgoingslow I have 3 attempts to get it right.

So for my first attempt I did this, measured the distance between the center of 2 holes. Then I took that distance then measured into the flat and marked a point. Then I made a guessed would be the center of the arm was hole on, of the knuckle, after I to try this, I did it with the knuckles on the axle. It was pretty close but I ended up have a tow-in condition.

Then my second attempt I decided to come up with some sort of jig. So I measured from the center of one "C" to the other "C" and transferred that to a board. Then I placed the CKRC bracket on to the arms and try to line it up that way. Well that produced a little toe-out condition. Actually it was more of a toe out just from the clearance holes in the new link. Sorry I forgot to take a pic of the new tie rod in place but you will see it in the later ones

After my second attempt I called CKRC to see if they had a secret or some dimensions I could use to try and get them straight. I talked with Jack and he says that he always runs a little toe-out on his crawlers. So I’m going to give it one more shot.

My third attempt was kinda the same as the second but instead of using measuments I reattached the tie rod to the knuckles. Then screwed the one of the knuckles into lining up the bottom part of the knuckle to the straight part of the board, Then I did the same with the other side and I used the tie rod gave me the correct spacing. So then I drilled and taped the holes in to the arms and see how they came out.

So After all 3 attempts I went with the 2 attempt. So now I all I have to do is cut of plastic arm and bolt then to the billet knuckles. Now have a jig to drill the hole in the same spot. But Ill do that later.

Now on to the battery tray, I held the servo on the plate to mark how far I need to cut.

I marked it off and started to cut it with my Dremel. Well this is going to take quite a long time. So I took it outside and used the Dewalt 5" die cutter. Then after sanding of the sharp edges I reinstalled the servo and the battery tray back on to the front axle.

Now back to the knuckles, I took the plastic ones and cut off the arms to use them as a jig.

Then I bolted them on to the billet arms. Then I drilled and tapped the holes, I cut them using the pic from the CKRC web site.

After that it was just a matter of reassembling it at the final product. Sorry I had to blank out the chassis but I was told not to release any pictures yet.

I hope this helps

Last edited by xzk7nr; 10-26-2008 at 06:59 AM.
xzk7nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links