Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Function of weights, water, lead, and foam?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Function of weights, water, lead, and foam?

OK I have searched a fair amount on this and have not come up with much. I"m new to rc crawling but not new to rock crawling... I have a 1:1 rig and lots of thing relate back and forth.

I have a few q's....
-I have yet to see any one try and run water in their tires for weight... any reason why? 1:1 guys do it all the time... I do in my rc and it seems to work good but there aren't many trucks around here to compare too. most guys here run air, lead, or just straight stock foam.
-What's the deal with memory foam and what about it makes so much of a difference? DO you still weight a tire with it? I have read yes and no? If someone could help me out that would be kick arse!
Thanx in advance.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

This is like asking what air presure to run in a 1:1. It all depends on truck weight, driving style, rocks, tires, rim width etc....
What works for some doesn't work for others.
I run no foam no air just steel BB's.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82 View Post
This is like asking what air presure to run in a 1:1. It all depends on truck weight, driving style, rocks, tires, rim width etc....
x2

On my 2.2....
I'm running star cut foams,6 oz. stick on weights in the front wheels,star cut foams and no weight in the rear wheels. I've also got a chunk of brass and a few stick on weights placed on my front axle housing.

Water is a bad idea. It's been hashed over here several times. In some spots,the water "sloshing" will tip you over. Dead weight is better than moving weight.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I get the whole sloshing around idea but mine are so full I don't get much of that at all and I go slow so it doesn't hinder me... weight I understand is all preferance....But wut is the benifitt from memory foam over standard foam? If memory foam takes longer to return to the original shape then wouldn't it be denser in some spots then others from hitting bumps and ledges and such?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Even though it takes time to come back, by the time the tire made a full circle, the foam is normal.

I am running memory foams with 6oz all around. I just need more weight in front. So im going to try like 12 oz and 4 and see how that works...
PapaGeno21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
RCC Addict

ok I that's cool but then why is memory foam better then standard foam which returns to it's original shape almost instantly? does the memory foam spread the load out over a larger area? thus making a larger conatact patch like running air but with more stability? and do guys only star cut regular foam and not memory?

Last edited by PipeDreams; 03-11-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #7
Nor-CalRCRC

Most everyone runs air holes in their rims so the tire can breathe and conform to the rocks. Water would run out of the holes when the tire squishes against a rock.
montereycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Memory foam rebounds much more slowly and spreads the pressure it applies to the inside of the tire more evenly, allowing the tire to conform to small deformities in the rock better. It also prevents the truck from bouncing as much when you're utilizing the truck's wheelspin. The big down side to memory foams is that they get hard in the cold and actually impair the truck's performance. Most folks here in Crawlerado run them during the summer and switch to regular foams in the winter.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
RCC Addict

So the big difference between memory and standard foam is..... wut less bouncing? I see that memory foam seems to be the way to go but wut makes it so good verses standard foam? That's wut I don't get? I can see the benift of foam over water or air but wut about foam to memory foam? DO guys star cut memory foam like they do regualr foam?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

memory foams are a heavier than reg. foams too.
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
RCC Addict

So the only benifti from reg foam to mem foam is less bouncing a little heavier and that's it? if you didn't star cut reg foam would it be alot heavier? I just don't get the whole memory foam Fad? there has got to be more to it then that!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
So the only benifti from reg foam to mem foam is less bouncing a little heavier and that's it? if you didn't star cut reg foam would it be alot heavier? I just don't get the whole memory foam Fad? there has got to be more to it then that!
If you could gain weight, and have less bouncing from just one mod, wouldnt you do it? Run some and you will understand. I dont think it is a fad either.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Is it alot of weight gain? were talking about foam here right? I can deffinatly see the binifit from the bouncing... but a good setup 4-link should reduce that.... Ah ya know what fook it... where can I get some? I will try it and see what the craze is about... Maybe it's one of those things you just need to try it to see it... Make sense? Where do most guys get it from?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Is it alot of weight gain? were talking about foam here right? I can deffinatly see the binifit from the bouncing... but a good setup 4-link should reduce that.... Ah ya know what fook it... where can I get some? I will try it and see what the craze is about... Maybe it's one of those things you just need to try it to see it... Make sense? Where do most guys get it from?
www.rcpcrawlers.com
ace donuts for the win
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Cool wut about the other brands?

I guess most guys don't go cuttin up a 15 dollar foam and just run it solid? No star cut?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I am loving my aces donuts too
Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #17
RCC Addict

cool then I'll grab some ace's when I order my VF from rcp... I gotta order a bunch of stuff soon..... Maybe I'll make one big order when I preorder my vf From rcp

oh and to star cut or not ?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
oh and to star cut or not ?
Most people don't cut the star pattern in the memory foam. Since it is slow to react after contact, the nature of the foam acts similar to a star cut in standard foam. In other words, when the memory foam compresses it leaves an air gap, just like a star cut, but it comes back after a few seconds.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I thought the point of star cutting is to have little internal ledges to help bit the surface? I could be wrong lol?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
x2

Water is a bad idea. It's been hashed over here several times. In some spots,the water "sloshing" will tip you over. Dead weight is better than moving weight.
I'm not a fan of BB's for the same reason, the time I tried it on my Mini-Giant the truck would react the same way as though I had water in it's tires. So far I've just added about 4oz per front and 2oz per rear wheel and will try and add some of the Pinecar Extreme tungsten putty to the inside of the front axle, just got to take the truck apart and figure out where I can fit the stuff..........
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote