Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Narrowed Axial's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Narrowed Axial's

Finally got around to narrowing my wheels and found only a few write ups and tips to do it. Figured I'd throw some more pictures out there.

Got them down to just under 1 7/8" from bead surface to bead surface.

I'm too cheap to have a real drill press to do it right and a late is just too expensive for the size I'd need....so out come the wheels of death. I used the bench vise to keep the wheel at a set height and adjusted the rim by shimming it up or down. It worked real well...if not a tad dangerous.

Couldn't figure out a real high tech way of centering the wheel to glue it so I used rubber bands. To make sure that the two halves were the same, I used a straight edge in quite a few spots to make sure they were parallel. I used CA glue to tack the halves together and then when I could handle them I went onto bigger and better.

Glassed them with two part epoxy (5 min type, a 3-1 part mixture worked pretty well but you have to glass fast) for strength. Gooped a ton of epoxy on and it seems to be pretty darned tough. Drilled out two air holes and mounted up the tires.

For reference, this is on a 40 series wheel with Losi Claw MT's. Make sure that for the Axial Bead-locks, you drill the screw holes into the rim half. I didn't at first and couldn't figure out why my rings wouldn't seat. I cut the rim right at the lip of the bead-lock seat and the screw holes actually go into the rim....go figure. Live and learn.

Last edited by NGreen; 06-16-2008 at 12:27 AM.
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2008, 03:50 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

nice work on the rims but you forgot the dont try this at home disclaimer, those our the stock aftershock tire right? did they bolt up ok or did you do some mods to them as well
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

They are the Losi B7201 tires. I haven't been real successful at finding out what size they are, but they are a tad small for a direct fit on the 40 series wheels. They stretch like crazy so if you are stubborn like me, you can manage to get them on the wheel first thing then you shoe horn the lock ring onto the bead. Put one bolt in, stretch, next bolt, stretch, next bolt, and so on. Once I got about 3 bolts in, I took my allen all the way around and pushed the tire into the bead channel between the wheel and the lock ring. I still haven't decided on foam, but I think I'll narrow them a little bit.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocresq View Post
nice work on the rims but you forgot the dont try this at home disclaimer

Really, its not that bad. Just make sure you wear glasses and gloves, you'll be good.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the reply
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote