Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: 1" wide wheels compared to other wheels sizes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 1" wide wheels compared to other wheels sizes

So here is the question. What are the pros and cons of running a 1" wheel compared to running a 1.3" other than width.

What do you guys prefer to run. Narrow or Wide?
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

1.9,2.2 or super?

I've run anything from under 1" to almost 2" on my super wheels. I run 1" wide on my 2.2...happy with that. You can have the 1.9 class...to damn small

The little difference your talking about,you won't see much difference,other than a little scrub steer....if you take it off the backside of the wheel. The tire may skinny up just a touch. Any ill handling effects can be fixed with a different foam set up.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Well here is the thing. I have a set of standard Mayhem CDP's and I feel they are just a tad too wide so I ordered the Mayhem CDP 1" wheels.

I am running HB Rovers (White Dot) with NWTT #8's in the front and NWTT #5 All Weathers in the rear. Is there any real benefit other than the .5" my rig will be narrower. Should I go
back to the stock foams in the rear with a narrower wheel?

I love Mayhem wheels just want to make sure I set them up right.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Berg,Axial,TLT,Wheely King...or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treday619 View Post
Is there any real benefit other than the .5" my rig will be narrower.
Skinnier will tip easier on side hills,but it'll be easier to squeeze between certain gates. Won't get snagged on the diffs as much either.

Wider,will side hill like a mad man. Allot easier to straddle over holes and undercuts. Sometimes a bit tricky getting through some gates.

Quote:
Should I go
back to the stock foams in the rear with a narrower wheel?
Nobody can really answer your questions.....personal preference. Some guys like a wider rig and some like crawling a bicycle...skinny. On my Axial,I ran a 10 1/4" track width. Liked it,but wished for a touch wider rig at times. On my Berg,I run 10 3/4" and love it. The biggest thing,like any change done to a rig,do one at a time. Drive it,see what the change did. Keep trying till it's good for YOU.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Berg,Axial,TLT,Wheely King...or what?

Skinnier will tip easier on side hills,but it'll be easier to squeeze between certain gates. Won't get snagged on the diffs as much either.

Wider,will side hill like a mad man. Allot easier to straddle over holes and undercuts. Sometimes a bit tricky getting through some gates.

Nobody can really answer your questions.....personal preference. Some guys like a wider rig and some like crawling a bicycle...skinny. On my Axial,I ran a 10 1/4" track width. Liked it,but wished for a touch wider rig at times. On my Berg,I run 10 3/4" and love it. The biggest thing,like any change done to a rig,do one at a time. Drive it,see what the change did. Keep trying till it's good for YOU.

Thanks Raptorman57. I am running and Axial. I just felt with the standard CDP's it made it a little harder to cut gates. We had a comp this weekend and if my rig was a 1/2" narrower I would made one of the gates with no issues. I will have to wait and see

Not bashing Mayhem's I loved the CDP so much I bought a skinnier set. Wish I could do that with my wife.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Not bashing Mayhem's I loved the CDP so much I bought a skinnier set. Wish I could do that with my wife.
That's wrong bro.
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

^That's HILARIOUS. . .just hope 4 your sake she does'nt read your posts..
BTW- 1" feels right to me, unless the tire(CHISEL) is huge- than that extra .25" doesn't hurt "my" AX. Raptorman covered it all already-
APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote