Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: 4ondflr's backyard semi review of x-lock lightning bolt 4.0's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default RC4WD X-LOCK LIGHTNING BOLT 4.0 4ondflr's backyard semi review

when I first pulled them out of the bag i noticed they were signifigantly softer/stickier than my moabs. the stock rc4wd foams felt a lil too hard so i used some all-weather reach foams to make new ones. I used about 1 1/2 foams per tire, I then cut the stock rc4wd foams into 3/8" wise sections and then cut them again to 3/4" tall to stick to the side of the supersoft allweather foams. not only will it give the foams a little more width to take the play out of the sidewalls but the shorter stiffer foams will help in side hilling. i made the foams extend all the way out thoughout the tire to get full height out of the tires also. heres a couple pics of the foams i came up with

I mounted them on my axial narrowed beadlocks. they are almost the exact same size as my moab xl's. heres a comparison shot

once they were in rolling form i noticed that they supported the rig way better than my moab's with star cut foams.the allweather foams are soft enough to comform to rocks but with the addition of the rc4wd foams there stiff enuf not to colapse under just the weight of the rig. (the moabs were always squatting under weight)

I dont have the greatest set up in my backyard for testing a super but wanted to see how they did sidehilling. i setup some paver stones on a pretty steep angle and it crawled it very easily without the tires folding under and sliding down. the tires colapsed just enough to get most traction in its offcamber angle.

so far I am very pleased with these tires and will do further testing later when i take the truck to our crawling spot. but may be a week or 2 seeing its 2 hours away. here are somemore poser shots from this afternoon. keep up the great work RC4WD! i love these tires so far!!! the foams made a BIG difference

Last edited by 4ONDFLR; 04-18-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: rewording
4ONDFLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks. Good. I just swapped out my foams with Losi MST's and what a difference. Looks like you are bit softer than my setup. I am really liking these tires with the limited testing and different foams.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Good review Mitch.
SUPERINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Awesome!! Thanks for posting up!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life View Post
Awesome!! Thanks for posting up!
thanks this was my first time doin a review and it was fun! if i had a video camera i would have done a video too, oh well gotta save mo pennies
Old 04-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I've been looking for a new set of tires for one of my Super projects and thanks to your review I think I will be giving these a try.

Good job Mitch!

Carl
quickster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Great review
I just got a set of these and the foams are very stiff. I am liking your idea on the foam set-up and plan to use it on mine.

Do you use ca glue to glue foams together?

Thanks for the info.
Rob
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Make sure it completely dries when you glue the foams before mounting them on the rim. They will stick and the foams will not be able to move properly.
SUPERINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the advice Superinva!
I have never felt the need to customize foams before, but there just isn't anything available for the supers, but I guess that is what makes them super.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERINVA View Post
Use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Make sure it completely dries when you glue the foams before mounting them on the rim. They will stick and the foams will not be able to move properly.
^^^ what he said! thanks mike for the reply. i been slackin