Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Rovers, Inconsistent molding????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Rovers, Inconsistent molding????

Hey guys, about a month ago I purchased a new set of rovers to replace the worn out rovers for my berg. The new rovers look ALOT different than my old ones. Well, by different, I don't mean that the tread is different or anything but that there is a Size and Profile difference between the two.

My old rovers when mounted on my 1" wide Mayhem 7's have a tall, narrow, and rounded profile, Then when I mount my NEW rovers on the same wheels with the same foams, The tires are shorter, wider and have a more squared off profile. I first thought that maybe the tires need to be broke in, after running about 10 packs through them they are still not any different. I've tried simple green and WD-40 treatments to alter the rubber a bit but with no results.

Has anyone else noticed this?? The new rovers seem to have some dimpling on the tread. Almost kindof a flat spot that does not really go away.

I'm currently running Proline 2 stage foams with another 1/2" strip around the outer diameter of the tires up front and normal 2 stage in the rear. The foams are PLENTY tall enough. But they just do not make the tire as tall and narrow as my old rovers. I can put the exact same foam setup and wheels on my old rovers and they have a totally different profile! Almost 1/2" taller and 3/8" narrower.

I know that it has been discussed on the boards before but I just wanted to know if anyone has any insight on the issue.

Last edited by jcboof; 07-14-2009 at 08:56 PM.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Keep it real

Could be your foams, what kind do you run? They break down.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
.I'm currently running Proline 2 stage foams with another 1/2" strip around the outer diameter of the tires up front and normal 2 stage in the rear. The foams are PLENTY tall enough. But they just do not make the tire as tall and narrow as my old rovers. I can put the exact same foam setup and wheels on my old rovers and they have a totally different profile! Almost 1/2" taller and 3/8" narrower

The foams are brand new and not worn out. I can put my old foams in the old tires too and they look the same as being stuffed with new foams. But the new foams in the new tires do not look correct. The New tires are just different, Its hard to explain until you see it. I'll get some pics up tommorow. One of the guys I crawl with could'nt believe it. I'm not bitchin, its just that i'd like to know if I can get a set of New/ OLD tires
Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Keep it real

Hmmm...maybe they revised the tire some to make it perform better, who knows.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Hmmm...maybe they revised the tire some to make it perform better, who knows.
That is about the only thing that I can think of. But honestly in my opinion, the old ones do better! I wonder if there is any place around that I could get my hands on some OLD stock rovers. This "change" came around the same time that TCS had the "Rover Sale" start. I wonder if they had a new batch come out that was molded slightly different than the old ones.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Had the same problem with my first set of Rovers mounted on 44mm wide wheels and stock foams. I changed to Pro Line 2 Stage over size foam and all is good now.

I purchased them when TCS started there sale on the Rovers, and have sence purchased 4 more sets Rovers.
oldvintageiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Huh. You know I noticed on Sunday that my rovers were a little shorter and flatter profiled than some others. I just blamed it on my 1.25" wide wheels and foams.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

has anyone ask tcs about this? I'm sure if it's an issue that affect the performance hotbodies should exchange them. I'd like to know now cause I just ordered a set the other day.
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Gettin’ back on the horse

Wierd. I have run a couple sets of rovers from the TCS sa leand havent noticed any profile differences and anything else of the sort. maybe they were on the bottom of a pile of junk...
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

When I got my first set they were shoved in the box and flat. I think the foams they come with are a little short also IMO.
oldvintageiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:19 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I was one of the first ones to preorder the rovers. I got one of the first production runs of the tires. Some of you that have ordered from TCS have probably got the same tires as I'm talking about and dont know any difference.

Last edited by jcboof; 07-15-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #12

The stock foams are short, but I think that is by design.

I noticed my Rovers from TCS have flat spots or dimpling in the tread as well. I am running the stock foams, but thought they would fill out with bigger foams. I have the Stage 2s on the way- hoping they would help out.

This is a little concerning- although the price was too good to pass up, if I was getting blems, someone should have told me that. It may not have changed my mind, but I bought them based on their reputation here. Has anyone contacted HB or TCS either directly or thru this site? Maybe they could shed a little llight on this....

TD
Mountain Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Have you tried running the old foams in the new tires?
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

The TCS sale was because they are over stocked with them, it has nothing to do with them being blems. From my experience with molding, the sets you guys are getting now are obviously from a different run than the first sets you got. HB might not have the same quality control as other companies and thus the reasoning for the difference.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

ive had about 6 sets of rovers. 5 whites and 1 blue.

all the same tire profile when mounted.

all have the dent, that has been established numerous times in the thousands of rover/foam threads that pop up daily.

all order from TCS w/o issue.

it is weird that his set looks fatter than tall, but i assume theres gotta be a factor we could be overlooking
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #16
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
The TCS sale was because they are over stocked with them, it has nothing to do with them being blems.
Yep
Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #17

I got the PL 2 Stage foam in today and put one in. It makes a huge difference in how the tires sits. with the stock foams, the tires were short (~5") had alot of squat and folds as well as the dimples.

With the much bigger foams, they stand taller (~5.5") are narrower and have smoothed out the wrinkles. The memory foam is still very soft and will allow the tire to squat when loaded (off camber crawling). I will have to get the rest mounted up tonight, but I will post some pics later as well.

TD
Mountain Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I have been threw several sets and haven't noticed any difference you got any pictures?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

look at these rovers that I bought back in december of 08. stock foams. the 1" wheel may be the reason why.. but I don't really see 1/4 on an inch causing that much of a difference in the tire's profile.

they do look more round compared to this
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I found some more pics. I think it all depends on what angle you look at them at.

helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote