Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Why not a taller Cougar??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Why not a taller Cougar??

Why not a make the Panther "Cougars" taller?? I would much rather see them made taller than use the Leopards. Bring back the Cougar in a taller version with the "sticky" compound and they will be bought.
Not even siped Rovers would be as good. Come on Panther, step up to the plate and bring us a home run.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
RCC Addict

why not make your own??
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

taller cougars would be awesome.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Why not a make the Panther "Cougars" taller?? I would much rather see them made taller than use the Leopards. Bring back the Cougar in a taller version with the "sticky" compound and they will be bought.
Not even siped Rovers would be as good. Come on Panther, step up to the plate and bring us a home run.
Siped Rovers or Sedonas will kick a cougars face in everytime if there is dust involved..No matter how tall they are.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Siped Rovers rule for sure. I personally think that a leapard will do just as good as a taller cougar though, I think the rubber compound used for them and cougars is what makes them good, not the tread design.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepial View Post
Siped Rovers or Sedonas will kick a cougars face in everytime "IF" there is dust involved..No matter how tall they are.
I fixed it, however, I don't aggree "totally". The super sticky Panther Cougars were flat out Awesome, even so, a Siped Cougar out performs the siped Rover easily. (at least my testing has proven it to be that way)
I'd love to able to MAKE my own tall Cougars, using the rovers for the sidewall, my skills however would make them perform like a pinewood derby car.
I think there are plenty of Cougar users who would go back to them IF they were made taller. IMO.
Attached Images

Last edited by Krakker; 04-25-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I think there are plenty of Cougar users who would go back to them IF they were made taller. IMO.
I would go back
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I fixed it, however, I don't aggree "totally". The super sticky Panther Cougars were flat out Awesome, even so, a Siped Cougar out performs the siped Rover easily. (at least my testing has proven it to be that way)
I'd love to able to MAKE my own tall Cougars, using the rovers for the sidewall, my skills however would make them perform like a pinewood derby car.
here on my local rock (slick or grippy) i think rovers wprk better at a comp today i used cougars for the 1st course and i saw rovers and sedonas walk lines where i had to use all i had for wheel speed, i switched to rovers for the 2nd course and did much better
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You must have searched high and low to find those ideal conditions without any dust or dirt for the cougar to beat a rover....That or You carry around a mini swiffer in your pocket..That or the rocks are concrete..Which is what they look like in the pics.

But really,the Rovers have put down more Wins than any single tire to date.So really you can't say that the cougars outperform them outside of the conditions you have found to make it happen.

And there are Red compound 2.2 Rovers in the near future.I seen a set at ECC.So I can only imagine what those will do compared to white rovers and cougars a like.Even if the cougar was 5.5" tall..

Last edited by Jeepial; 04-25-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have run them all. Cougar,Leopard,Rover,Sedona ETC........
If I had to choose between the Leopard,Cougar,and Rover strictly off of traction, dirty rock or not I would run the Leopard.The Leopard hooks harder.
Now if there are other variables getting thrown into the mix like predictability all 3 of the above tires get thrown back in the box and Sedonas are the top dog.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=joesbruiser;2425891]I have run them all. Cougar,Leopard,Rover,Sedona ETC........
If I had to choose between the Leopard,Cougar,and Rover strictly off of traction, dirty rock or not I would run the Leopard.The Leopard hooks harder.
QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. My leopards hook up. Can't say that about my old Rovers.
jr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepial View Post
But really,the Rovers have put down more Wins than any single tire to date...
Keep in mind that I am NOT trying to say that the Rover isnt a good tire, because it is. But I think that probably the most winning tire (of any single tire to date) might just be the Losi Rock Claws..... I'm just saying that because think about how many people were running (and winning with) these just a few years ago. For a good period of time they were "the only" tire to have untill the cougars came out.
just my .02
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Keep in mind that I am NOT trying to say that the Rover isnt a good tire, because it is. But I think that probably the most winning tire (of any single tire to date) might just be the Losi Rock Claws..... I'm just saying that because think about how many people were running (and winning with) these just a few years ago. For a good period of time they were "the only" tire to have untill the cougars came out.
just my .02
its close, but for better traction rovers have it, they whoop the claws on everything. the claws where great 2 1/2 years ago when i started crawling but technology has gotten better so the rovers are better (in my local area the rovers and sedonas are pretty close preformance wise the sedonas just have a tad bit more dirty condition traction, but both beat the cougar easy, maybe if it was a little bit better compound and tread patter theyd win)

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 04-26-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
its close, but for better traction rovers have it, they whoop the claws on everything. the claws where great 2 1/2 years ago when i started crawling but technology has gotten better so the rovers are better (in my local area the rovers and sedonas are pretty close preformance wise the sedonas just have a tad bit more dirty condition traction, but both beat the cougar easy, maybe if it was a little bit better compound and tread patter theyd win)
Oh... I thought you had said "most winning tire". I am in agreement with you that the Rovers are a better tire than the Claws. I was just saying that I think the Claws probably have a few more wins "in the books" because there were so many of them run for a long time when there wasnt really much to compete with them. Looking at it like that, the "most winning tire" looking at it all the way from back in the day might have to be the Moabs. Not because they are a great tire, but just because of the hundreds (or thousands) of sets that were run for so long, they booked up alot of wins. Even before there even was a 2.2 class.

OK...... WOW!!!! I got way off track with what this thread was intended for. Sorry about that.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Oh... I thought you had said "most winning tire". I am in agreement with you that the Rovers are a better tire than the Claws. I was just saying that I think the Claws probably have a few more wins "in the books" because there were so many of them run for a long time when there wasnt really much to compete with them. Looking at it like that, the "most winning tire" looking at it all the way from back in the day might have to be the Moabs. Not because they are a great tire, but just because of the hundreds (or thousands) of sets that were run for so long, they booked up alot of wins. Even before there even was a 2.2 class.

OK...... WOW!!!! I got way off track with what this thread was intended for. Sorry about that.
somebody else did i was just making valid points
Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I am a big fan of the Cougers, having come from White Rovers....I ditched the Rovers because on my 8lb rig, they ran looking half flat looking and squishy for turning even on my Mayhem UCW's. I could never achieve the tall skinny (FIRM) tires I wanted.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I ditched the Rovers because on my 8lb rig, they ran looking half flat looking and squishy for turning even on my Mayhem UCW's.
It sounds like you need a different foam...maybe an expanded F400. Or, just put that pig on a diet. Hell, my super weighs about that much and I thought it was heavy!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

The rocks I ran in those pics and these are man made, some slick, some not, but it is in a public park and there's plenty of dust and debris on them at times. In NO WAY am I saying the Rovers (and others) aren't good tires, Rovers may perform better in "dusty or dirty" conditions. All I'm saying is it would be nice to have the Cougar in a taller form with the Sticky compound to offer another choice. My "SIPED" cougars did better on this obstacle, perhaps do to the "non-folding" that the Rover exibited.
Either way, "I'd" be willing to run them depending on the course conditions.

The Rovers could hardly make this gap (10ft up) untill I siped them, they would slide and I'd have to catch the rig most of the time.
The Cougars made it even before they were siped. Perhaps it's the lower CG of the smaller Cougars, but I'm MUCH more comfortable running THIS line with the Cougars even tho the siped Rovers can make it everytime now.
Running a taller tire in the rear with the Cougar has helped as well, I've since put an X-lock stock foam in the rear Cougars, it's made them a tad taller and narrower. They also take the weight of the Bully nicely when it's all placed on the rear wheels.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The rocks I ran in those pics and these are man made, some slick, some not, but it is in a public park and there's plenty of dust and debris on them at times. In NO WAY am I saying the Rovers (and others) aren't good tires, Rovers may perform better in "dusty or dirty" conditions. All I'm saying is it would be nice to have the Cougar in a taller form with the Sticky compound to offer another choice. My "SIPED" cougars did better on this obstacle, perhaps do to the "non-folding" that the Rover exibited.
Either way, "I'd" be willing to run them depending on the course conditions.

The Rovers could hardly make this gap (10ft up) untill I siped them, they would slide and I'd have to catch the rig most of the time.
The Cougars made it even before they were siped. Perhaps it's the lower CG of the smaller Cougars, but I'm MUCH more comfortable running THIS line with the Cougars even tho the siped Rovers can make it everytime now.
Running a taller tire in the rear with the Cougar has helped as well, I've since put an X-lock stock foam in the rear Cougars, it's made them a tad taller and narrower. They also take the weight of the Bully nicely when it's all placed on the rear wheels.
I really like Cougers too, and want to try Leopards too for use on deep rip rap courses. Panther makes awesome products!!! IMHO.....
Old 05-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
taller cougars would be awesome.
AGREED x100!!!!