Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Need help on wheel choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need help on wheel choice

I want to get the Vanquish SLW wheels for my Axial and I'm driving myself crazy as to which one to order. I will be using the Zero ackerman knuckles and a home made bta steering. I was thinking of .7's in the front w/725 or 850 hubs and 1" rear with 600 or 475 hubs. I want the front a little wider than the rear. Does this sound like a decent combo or whats your recommendation?
motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

If you run comps, I'd consider making the front wider than the rear. Makes it easier to clear gates.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I do want the front track wider than the rear, do you think a wider wheel on the rear would be any benefit?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

According to your first post, you have the wider wheels on the back and the .7s on the front. That seems backwards to your goal, is that a typo?
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
RCC Addict

honestly I'd go with the DH's. the slw's you have to stuff with weight. If you do stay with the slw's go with .7 in the back, and 1 or wider in the front. It depends on the tire also.

the sedonas I run seem to like the 1" wheels DH procomp
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

only time being narrow in the rear will hurt you is in 2 instances:

1. off camber, your truck will side hill better if the width is equal. It isnt going to be real noticeable, but it will be less stable if the rear is narrower.

2. more noticeable will be climbing a v notch or grove, when you are trying to straddle a v while climbing the rear will want to fall in easier if it is narrower. there were several occasions that i was playing around with practicing that i had to fight to get through narrower in the rear, changed wheels and walked right up/through the some areas.

with that said, i stuck with it 1/2 overall narrower in the rear than the front. i wouldn't go any narrower than 1/2" overall 1/4" per side, but thats my opinion.

being narrower in the rear allows you to turn better, dig better, and clear gates easier.
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I would go with dh's up front and a .7 v4 slw out back. As for adapters I have no clue as I run bergs but I would shoot for 9.75-10 in the back and 10-10.5 in the front!
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcircus View Post
According to your first post, you have the wider wheels on the back and the .7s on the front. That seems backwards to your goal, is that a typo?
That's how I was looking at it, the front having a skinnier wheel but a wider offset than the rear. And the rear having the wider wheel but narrower offset, does that make any sense?

I thought having a skinnier tire up front will allow a tighter turn?

Last edited by motorman; 04-26-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

1" SLW V2s front and rear. 725 hubs in the front and 600 hubs in the rear. You can go to O'rileys auto parts and get Mr.Gasket wheel weights (4-2oz. strips per pack) that will fit right in the channel of the wheel. 3 packs will give you 8oz. per wheel front and 4oz. per wheel rear. That's what I'm running with good results. Just my opinion.
KRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
That's how I was looking at it, the front having a skinnier wheel but a wider offset than the rear. And the rear having the wider wheel but narrower offset, does that make any sense?

I thought having a skinnier tire up front will allow a tighter turn?
we do have people running fatties with narrow hubs in the rear to increase traction, and skinnies with wide offsets to increase steering clearance in the front.

( insert rockshow voice ) Now im not saying that this is the best setup, " im just saying" that it "is possible" that "this may or may not be" a " potential " setup for " someone " to run...
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

so with a 1" SLW wheels with a .725 hubs will that have a 9.17 width? (outside to outside)

and would the .850 hubs have a 9.342 width?
Old 04-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@vp View Post

( insert rockshow voice ) Now im not saying that this is the best setup, " im just saying" that it "is possible" that "this may or may not be" a " potential " setup for " someone " to run...

I can not confirm or deny that I would ever say something like that!

P.S. When did you start letting Steve post using your name?

Last edited by Rockshow; 04-27-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Rockshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbound View Post
only time being narrow in the rear will hurt you is in 2 instances:

1. off camber, your truck will side hill better if the width is equal. It isnt going to be real noticeable, but it will be less stable if the rear is narrower.

2. more noticeable will be climbing a v notch or grove, when you are trying to straddle a v while climbing the rear will want to fall in easier if it is narrower. there were several occasions that i was playing around with practicing that i had to fight to get through narrower in the rear, changed wheels and walked right up/through the some areas.

with that said, i stuck with it 1/2 overall narrower in the rear than the front. i wouldn't go any narrower than 1/2" overall 1/4" per side, but thats my opinion.

being narrower in the rear allows you to turn better, dig better, and clear gates easier.
One other place it hurts...

When you are climbing uneven ledges or going down uneven steep grades... the narrow rear will try to line up behind the front sometimes throwing the rear quickly to either side. If there is a gate there, it's hard to miss. At least thats my experience with really narrow rear width.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:38 AM   #14
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@vp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshow View Post
I can not confirm or deny that would ever say something like that!

P.S. When did you start letting Steve post using your name?
Ww! That is freakin hilarious. He totally got you pegged on that one Mike.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Ww! That is freakin hilarious. He totally got you pegged on that one Mike.
Yeah he did...Awesome LOL
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote