Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Official Reveiw,,,Pit Bulls "Rock Beast" 2.2 Prototype

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #281
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
They work very well in mud and loose dirt, These tires also are the best performing tires in the wet that I've used.

I'm not a comp guy so I can't even give a fair comparison, but as far as scalers go. Ditto on what War Pig said!
jeep94xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #282
RCC Addict

well i switched around some more foams for the front of my rig. my new setup is stock losi rock claws foam wrapped with pl outer memory foam and i must say it works better than my pl 2stage mem did up front. it does ballon the fronts slightly mounted on Eritex 1.25in wheels but they seem to flatten out once the weight of the rig is put on them and they seem to be more stable and are more predictable for me at least. gonna do some more testing at our lhs and will post up results
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #283
I wanna be Dave

keep us posted kratos,,

Eddie (novas) sent me some new foams to try out in my rock beasts,,i currently have the novas 5.0 outer ring wrapped around the 5.5 inner mounte on a VP DH wheel,,with a die cut 5.5 outer on a 5.5 inner in the rr mounted on a 1'' slw,,the fronts are flat across the contact patch,,the rrs have a slight crown to them,,less then what i had in the past,,from the 2 runs ive had with this set up ive noticed a giant improvement,,i want to trim a little off the rr inner foam to see about getting the crown down in the rr,,but with this set up forward traction is bananas,,the rrs slip a little ,,i feel once i trim down the inner ring that will help a bunch as well,,,
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #284
RCC Addict

ok well that setup did not work as well as i was hoping. gonna try something different. it didnt allow the fronts to mold to the rock as well as i thought it should
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #285
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
I had the same thought at first but you need to try th to really find out.
Had a few extra bucks so I'm gonna give them a shot finally!
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #286
WNYRCRC

Well I finally got some time on the rock beasts today. I am running .7 slw's in the rear and 1" slw's on the front. Crawler innovations 5.5 " double deuces all the way around.
My first impression of the tires was good. The pitbulls gripped well on the climbs I was attempting and seemed to have good bite on the side hills. I was impressed due to the fact they are hardly broken in. I will be running them at our club comp.this weekend. I will be adding more weight to the front tires. I will post up with my results.
Raceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #287
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceaholic View Post
Well I finally got some time on the rock beasts today. I am running .7 slw's in the rear and 1" slw's on the front. Crawler innovations 5.5 " double deuces all the way around.
My first impression of the tires was good. The pitbulls gripped well on the climbs I was attempting and seemed to have good bite on the side hills. I was impressed due to the fact they are hardly broken in. I will be running them at our club comp.this weekend. I will be adding more weight to the front tires. I will post up with my results.
Have you trimmed the foams at all?

I thought that mine hooked up alot better with the foam trimmed to taper in at the wheel. Also made them much easier to mount.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #288
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
im glad you are finally getting a chance to mess with em,,,deffinately trim the inner foams some,,you will have much better results...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Have you trimmed the foams at all?

I thought that mine hooked up alot better with the foam trimmed to taper in at the wheel. Also made them much easier to mount.
x2
Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #289
WNYRCRC

Thanks guys. Do I Leave the top the same width or trim that down . I have 2.25 width in there now . I have some 2.0 novas on the bench.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #290
Quarry Creeper

Just purchased a set from PitBull over the phone. I can't wait to get them in and try them out. They will be going on my TTC truck, weighs roughly 7.5 lbs.

I'm sure it has been stated before, but what foams is everyone running in these? I have looked over a few pages, but still can't seem to find it. I see Nova's are pretty popular, but I'm just looking for a cheap foam I can throw in there and it still do pretty well.

Thanks in advance!
billy_06evoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #291
Rock Crawler

Default tires

well they are mounted and ready. nova dd 5.25 foams, CAC wheels. took them out and did some of the lines ive done with my rovers and rox lox and................ made it look easy!! i tried alot of different lines ive never been able to do before and the rig went where i wanted it to. im SYKED and these tires are definately gonna make an impact on the 2.2 scene. hopefully more pics and info this weekend if i can get away and run at a local crawlin spot.

rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #292
I wanna be Dave

I just got confermation that Pit Bull is donating 5 sets of Rock Beasts, to the Active Kids program. WE'll be sport'n new shoes for this years 4XFEST and giving away a set during the drawings.
I got a set my self that I'm going to do a sipe job on and make some foams for. I probably wont run them except to test but they'll hit the F/S section soon. I think a few of the cuts I've got in mind might help the lugs not fold over.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #293
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks guys. Do I Leave the top the same width or trim that down . I have 2.25 width in there now . I have some 2.0 novas on the bench.
i leave the width alone on the outers,,,i am currently runnin novas 5.0 outer with the 5.5 inners,,and im loving them,,,
Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #294
WNYRCRC

Well I ran the Pit Bulls in our comp today. I really like these tires. I did trim the inner foams. Thanks guys they did hook up better. I finished 2nd with them. I did add more weight to the front. 1 " slw's with 4.5 oz . Running .7 slw's in the rear. Which i may add a little weight to the rears. These tires just get better and better the more they break in. I hope they come out with a 1.9 version of these. My mini could use the help.......
Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #295
I wanna be Dave

My Pit Bulls helped me to another first place finish at our scale comp today!

Everyone was impressed at how well they handled the dry, dusty, glacial sand....the width really helped keep me on top of the soft stuff.

After the comp, I let one of our club members Mitch (who is a true scale guy) drive it for a few minutes. All he could say about the tires is "these things are crazy! They just get traction no matter what you're driving on." He was crawling up some loose sandy climbs and then rallying around sliding through corners and having a good old time. They tires almost act like sand paddles when you put the wood to it from a standing start. Very fun.....
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #296
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well I ran the Pit Bulls in our comp today. I really like these tires. I did trim the inner foams. Thanks guys they did hook up better. I finished 2nd with them. I did add more weight to the front. 1 " slw's with 4.5 oz . Running .7 slw's in the rear. Which i may add a little weight to the rears. These tires just get better and better the more they break in. I hope they come out with a 1.9 version of these. My mini could use the help.......
awesome,,im glad they are working for you,,,post pics

Quote:

Everyone was impressed at how well they handled the dry, dusty, glacial sand....the width really helped keep me on top of the soft stuff.

After the comp, I let one of our club members Mitch (who is a true scale guy) drive it for a few minutes. All he could say about the tires is "these things are crazy! They just get traction no matter what you're driving on." He was crawling up some loose sandy climbs and then rallying around sliding through corners and having a good old time. They tires almost act like sand paddles when you put the wood to it from a standing start. Very fun.....
congrats Tim,,,
Old 08-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #297
Quarry Creeper

I just aquired a set of these tires. My initial impression is that they work really well. I'm using 1" wheels and nova 5.5 DD. They work great. I'm still working with them to see if I can get them to work as well as my rovers.

My question is with the width. Has anyone come up w/ a foam solution that addressed the width of these tires? I did manage to find foam that is similiar to the nova inners. I cut 3/4" slices and placed them on either side of the nova foam. This helped give the sidewall much needed support but I've not used them much to know if it has helped the overall performance. Otherwise these tires are pretty cool from an overall perspective.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #298
I wanna be Dave

we are currently working on a solution to the foam issues,,we should have an answer for you very soon...
Old 08-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #299
RCC Addict

I pm'd you about wheel and foams you ran. Man they look wide for scalers. I have set I mounted on some comp wheels but didn't have the nova froams yet but thought they were too wide to run for my ftoy scaler.

Quote:

fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #300
I wanna be Dave

Default PitBulls at Palmerton PA

They did well on the conglomerate rock, there is alot of fine dust and rock there. They did lose some traction in the dust and small rocks in the transitions between the rocks but then hooked up when they cleaned themselves out.

http://s832.photobucket.com/albums/zz248/EPARCRC/Palmerton%20GTG%2014Aug2010/?action=view&current=JSlickPalmerton14Aug2010LCC.mp4
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote