Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Nova foam sizing....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Nova foam sizing....

Ok, I'm talked into trying a set in my white rovers on 1" wide Mayhem wheels. What width do I need? 2.250/2.125/2.0 Thanks!
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

As long as you are comfortable trimming your inner foams yourself, I always recommend 2.25 wide foams. That way you can tune them for your specific crawler. My original design was 2.25 wide inner foams.

There are a few questions that must be considered before trimming your inner foams.

1. How much does the crawler weigh? Or what is the target final weight of the build?

2. How wide are the rims being used?

3. Are those wheels / rims grooved or channeled in the center?

4. What tire is being used and what compound is it?

5. Is that tire siped and grooved?

To further explain, a few of those questions;

6 pounds and liter need a soft foam (narrower inner foam).

6 pounds and heavier need a much firmer foam (wider inner foam).

.7" and 1" wide wheels in general like a 2 inch wide foam.

Anything bigger than 1" will want a wider foam.

Also, a wheel that has a channel in it like a RC4WD, Axial, Pro-Line, etc will need a wider foam or have the channel filled. Nova Foams need a flat surface to work off of. Both Vanquish Products and Mayhem Engineering brand wheels have a flat surface and those are the two brand wheels I use and have done most of my testing on.

Tire compound; a firm tire compound will need a softer foam and narrower inner foam. A soft tire compound will need a wide inner foam.

Siping and grooving tires really softens them up. If you are going to run siped and grooved tires, I recommend you do the tires first and then trim the foams. For example, I had a set of tuned foams in some white dot rovers. I then decided to sipe and groove the tires real crazy. The tire softened up so much I had to install a new set of inner foams 1/8 wider. That is one of the reasons I designed the tuning discs.

I think that covers most of it. If you have any other questions, let me know. You can always PM me here on RCC or email me direct at:

novasark@crawlerinnovations.com

Thank you for your interest in my products.
Eddie
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hy pappy and nova! Good question pappy, & great answer/411 Nova. I got mine in the mail today thanks for posting. Time to screw

They look very nice, super fast shippin too. Thanks for the stickers Im installing on mayhem comp phattyz
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

All done, Great foams!

thanks
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

cornsnake those are cool pictures. Thank you for posting them and the compliment on the product.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I got the 2.25" wide 2 stage foams. Mounted them on LCC wheels, front weighted with white Rovers, rears no weight with blue Rovers. The LCC wheel is 1" wide with a channel/groove in the center of the wheel. They went together real easy.

Have yet to run them but they feel alot better compared to stock Rover foams.

Thanks Nova for the extremely fast shipping...
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i left mine the way they came on dh procomp wheels they work great

they got here faster than thought there going thank for such go costomer service NOVA'S 2'2 ROCK
yfz350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I did the 2.25's on mine and I am very happy with the foams and Nova's customer service!
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I got 3 of the four installed so far......Put them on UCW's......I cut out for the ring width on the inner foam, and put all of the remaining foam in, and said there ain't no way that is gonna fit in there!.....Well it does, and they look great so far!!! I finally got Rovers as tall as they should be!!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I have Rover's but there only sitting at around 5 inches tall.

If i were to get Nova foams they would sit at around 5.5 inches tall?...correct?
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby View Post
I have Rover's but there only sitting at around 5 inches tall.

If i were to get Nova foams they would sit at around 5.5 inches tall?...correct?
Mine, holding the weight of the 7.0lb rig, measures 5.4" tall. Nice.

I got to run a pack through mine on my rocks today.....These foams rock!!! Eddie referred to his team driver that runs a similar setup to me, and he was very very helpful. Great product and customer service!!! A+ x 100!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I got to run a pack through mine on my rocks today.....These foams rock!!! Eddie referred to his team driver that runs a similar setup to me, and he was very very helpful. Great product and customer service!!! A+ x 100!!!

Awesome!!! Reading comments like yours brings me joy. Thank you for that feedback. That made my day today.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Kickass Pappy, glad you got it worked out, I knew you would be pleased with the results!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Do the two layers of foam need to be glued together? to help them from shifting on side hills.
rockrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Kickass Pappy, glad you got it worked out, I knew you would be pleased with the results!
Thank YOU for your help in making it happen!!!!!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #16
WNYRCRC

Hey Pappy. I run 2.25 in the front on Vanquish Dhpro comps. I run the 2.0 in the rear on. 7 slw's. I have been running sedonas. The foams are awesome. I did cut the channel in the fronts when I ran the ucw's for the rings. Good luck man.
Raceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Default question

I just ordered these wheels http://rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info...e32922108657c0
and want to order your foams for them today, the wheels measure 1.49" wide. i have an axial with an bender chassis. rover white dot tires, unfortunatly i have no idea what the car weight is. what foams would you recommend? also what is the best way to fill in that channel with out adding a ton more weight? Thank you
booher26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #18
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by booher26 View Post
I just ordered these wheels http://rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info...e32922108657c0
and want to order your foams for them today, the wheels measure 1.49" wide. i have an axial with an bender chassis. rover white dot tires, unfortunatly i have no idea what the car weight is. what foams would you recommend? also what is the best way to fill in that channel with out adding a ton more weight? Thank you
I think the measurement RC4WD is giving is total width including beadlock rings. So it may not be as wide at the bead. That said, I would still recommend the 5.5 tall Double Deuce Nova Foams in the 2.25 width. That way if you can't or don't fill in the channel, the wide foam will help to fill it in. I'm not certain what to recommend to fill in the channel without adding weight. Tape maybe? Electrical tape? Or if you trim the foam narrower, use the extra piece to fill in the channel. Actually, if you add the bead lock information into the special instructions to seller when you place your order, I can send you some scrap inner foams to fill the channel in with your order.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

First, I apologize for the hijack I have come to realize the stock foams in my Chisels are way too soft! I have a couple quick questions.

My rig is just a tad over 6lbs so I'm not quite sure what to get. My wheels are PL 8 shooters (1.1") with 14oz in each front and 8 1/4oz in each rear. No siping just yet (they are very new).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I may be answering my own questions by going with 5.5 DD with 2.25 inners? Thanks!
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
First, I apologize for the hijack I have come to realize the stock foams in my Chisels are way too soft! I have a couple quick questions.

My rig is just a tad over 6lbs so I'm not quite sure what to get. My wheels are PL 8 shooters (1.1") with 14oz in each front and 8 1/4oz in each rear. No siping just yet (they are very new).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I may be answering my own questions by going with 5.5 DD with 2.25 inners? Thanks!
That would be my suggestion except maybe get 2.125 width inner foams instead of the 2.25.