Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Crawler Innovations 1.9 foam testing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Crawler Innovations 1.9 foam testing

Ordered some Crawler Innovation foams for my BWD mini wedge build. While speaking with Eddie he surprised me and said he was sending me some prototype foams to test. This will be the first time i have ever tuned my foams so bare with me I am more of a stick it in and drive it, rather than test and tune LOL.

I received my package (thanks Eddie) and it consisted of

2 sets of med/firm
1 pair of med prototypes
1 set of softs
1 pair of memory prototypes

The rig that i built was driving once stock, then I was driving the built rig with rovers and stock rover foams.My build here
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260412

So i had a good base IMO of how the truck worked with my initial setup, put about 5 packs through it before testing foams.
I knew what i wanted and just had to systematically get there.

First i set it up with memories in front and stock rover foams in the rear,
Worked awesome!, Side hilled great, pulled ledges wonderfully, had great forward bite, i was stoked with the way these foams worked. added @ 2oz to front. Overall is a great setup my favorite so far.

I then tried the softs in front with rover foams in back, rolled over and pushed more than my liking, rig weighs 2.5lbs. Even while rolled over it still kept its line. Although i believe that's more the tire than the foam. I believe the soft foams are too soft. good forward bite, pushed a little, sidehilled well, pulled ledges little better than memory foams-- folded too much while turnin up hill, made climbs little bouncy with speed

Next i tried soft with full med firms in back, did not like it at all, way to stiff in the back and bouncy, didn't even run this combo.

Final test that day, soft frt/ mem rr--comparable to soft front and rovers rear except front wadded badly and had bad tendancy to bounce on descents.

Where im at now is memory foams in front with med prototypes in the back, works well has all the advantages i liked with the stock rover foams in back, except the rear folds and "falls off its line" i dont like that. Climbs well, though rears grab too much on some sharp verts. mediums would do well as the soft foam in the lineup IMO.

I am goin to come back to this and see if i can make a 2 stage with med firm inner ring and med outer. I think that will work well.

So far my fronts will be the memory foams for sure, i love them work great, holds a line very well, thing verts well.Has alot to do with the chassis. i'm going to work a few more combos to decide what ill run at nats.

I'm still going to try med firms with @ .5" taken off width and work down to see how i like them in the rear. Also going to try the med/firm and med 2 stage for the rear see if i can get the tire support and the "grab" of the med compound.

More to come soon need more testing for final Nats setup.

Thanks for reading and thanks Eddie for a great product, and the chance to test your foams.

Last edited by scatterbrains; 08-16-2010 at 10:44 AM.
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear Eddie isn't slowing down on his R&D. Still need to finish my mini wedge, so keep working out the set-ups for the rest of us.
gdhknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Will do!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Do you know which of the foams you listed are the ones he sells for 1.9 single stage on his site?
Just received 4 of them yesterday, will be installing them tonight or tomorrow.
Eddie has great customer service, super fast at processing his orders also.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I am pretty sure his single stages are the softs, dont qoute me on it but im pretty sure.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrains View Post
I am pretty sure his single stages are the softs, dont qoute me on it but im pretty sure.

correct
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Thank you for posting your results and thoughts so far. I have to add the foams to the web site, but Crawler Innovations now has the 1.9 single stage soft, medium, firm and memory foams in stock. The memory foams have been getting very positive feedback from Team Drivers across the country. In the meantime, you can PM or email me for information about them. My email is:

novasark@crawlerinnovations.com
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Ill have final thoughts and tests this weekend after our comp eddie, Love the memories the most for sure
Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrains View Post
Love the memories the most for sure
I have been hearing that from everyone who has tested them. So that is good news for sure and I look forward to an update after the weekend.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Well ran my first comp today and foam combo is killer! Runnin front memory foams and 1/2 width med firm in the rear, combo is awesome, does everything i want it to is predictable.

Rained so i didnt get to test another idea. Goin to try a 3/4 med firm in the back also So far this setup is my go to setup.

Eddie thanks a bunch for this opportunity, foams are killer.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Little update, at comp won some more rover 1.9 tires so i fitted them up to a set of motoworks wheels. I stuffed the front tires with nova soft foams wrapped around the stock rover foams, feel good. Then i stuffed a full Nova firm foam into the rear. When i can hit up the rocks ill do a head to head and post my conclusions and opinions.