Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: How do you guys make your tires so squishy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default How do you guys make your tires so squishy

I just picked up a new Honcho, and the tires seems so stiff. There soft, dont get me wrong but I see all these pics and vids of your guys rigs and the tires seem so much more pliable. They really grip the rocks that way.

I know when I wheel for real in my Jeep I air down, and it seems like you folks are almost doing this...but how?

Thanks
0lllllll0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Try to Bend it

The easiest way is to drill a small hole in the wheel to allow the air to move in and out. Though I am not sure if you want to so that with this being a scaler and the potential that you may do through water. I guess the other way is to take off one of your bead lock rings, sqeaze some of the air out and then re mount the ring
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Gettin’ back on the horse

If you squeeze air out of the tire it will be "deflatted" and have flat spots. Just drill a hole or two in the inside of the wheel, if you don't like it put some silicone or shoe goo over the holes. But every project I have done there has been a hole to allow the tire to compress and give the rig a better ride(getting rid of some of the bounce). If you still find it too stiff you can start tuning your foams.

But first step one.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
The easiest way is to drill a small hole in the wheel to allow the air to move in and out. Though I am not sure if you want to so that with this being a scaler and the potential that you may do through water. I guess the other way is to take off one of your bead lock rings, sqeaze some of the air out and then re mount the ring
Thanks for the info, and good point about the water getting in. I might try the bead lock trick

Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
If you squeeze air out of the tire it will be "deflatted" and have flat spots. Just drill a hole or two in the inside of the wheel, if you don't like it put some silicone or shoe goo over the holes. But every project I have done there has been a hole to allow the tire to compress and give the rig a better ride(getting rid of some of the bounce). If you still find it too stiff you can start tuning your foams.

But first step one.
Sounds good! Like mentioned above, will I have issues with water if I drill holes?

DO you have a link on how to "tune" the foam?

Thanks so much folks.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
Try to Bend it

Just try a search for "foam tuning" there is heaps of information for tuning different types of tires all of which can be applied to your particular tires.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
RCC Addict

depending on the beadlocks, i have drilled breather holes into 2 of the bead lock screw holes on the back side of my wheels. then if i know im going to play in the water i just put those screws back in and they are water tight again. Or i have have used silicone or liquid electrical tape to cover the holes for the time being
jimbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
Gettin’ back on the horse

I just squeeze the tire out to get the water out, if Im really concerned about it, take the foam out of the tire, squeeze and let dry, its not really that bad or that big of a deal.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:30 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

i like the beadlock screw idea but i'd do a couple on each side as theyre gonna be really small holes
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Buy some nova's!
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #11
www.team3sixrc.com

The stock foams that come with the flat irons are basic at best. Believe me, the flat irons can work fine for you. Buying a softer rubber compound tire is one good way to do well. RC4WD's roc lox or pro line TSL swampers are a good upgrade. Rims is another, the stock Rims don't really allow a lot of flex, upgrade to an aluminum rim for more weight. And you will want a foam that has sidewalk support, but a soft center where the tires will grab most. Contact crawlers inovations. He is a vendor here.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Wow, thanks so much everyone!! Man there is so much to re-learn here. Things sure have changed in the last 20 years since I have my last truck!

I will do some searching around and I definitely appreciate the information.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Also know that running the stock foams that come in RTR Honcho they are Proline memory foams. With the weather we have had here that last few days, the cold will make memory foam hard. The memory foam is ok in the summer, but in the winter they suck!
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

you can also add some weights to the rim ,thats alot of what your seeing in the standstill shots,that makes the tires look like the air pressure has been lowered for crawling
mar618 is offline   Reply With Quote