Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: narrowing kongs-help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2004, 05:59 PM   #1

Default narrowing kongs-help

I think I got it down how to do this, but I have a question. How wide should they be after I am done. This is my first time doing this and the first time I am building a clod and I want to do it right. I am going to turn them inside out and put a piece of packing tape down the center and cut along the outsides of the tape. I think that will be the easiest way to do it straight. Any better ideas?
Thanks for your help....
supadupaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Default Re: narrowing kongs-help

Pick a different set of axles for your tires or pick a different set of tires for your axles. Clod axles won't like Kongs very long unless they are heavily modified. I've also heard that you won't be able to turn very sharp with them. Simply because the Clod axles are to narrow,kinda like running a set of 44" TSL's on Toyota axles. Yeah they'll role and you could run them for a little while. Right off the git go you'll notice you can't turn very sharp cuz your tires are rubbing your springs or links. After a very short time you'd start breaking birf's,axles,trunion bearings,ring and pinions and probly any other moving parts in there. Nothing at all wrong with a Toyota axle,just like theres nothing really wrong with a Clod axle. They are good axles,they do though have their limits. Thats just my honest opinion

As far as cutting them. I just run a strip of masking tape all the way around my Kongs and cut right against the tape real slowly. Worked great for me. As far as width,it's completely up to you. Some go more or less than others,just depends on what you want. I took about 1 1/4" or a 1 1/2" out of mine and love them. Now I just have to get off my ass and finish cutting and regluing all my new treadblocks. They work pretty good the way they are but they'll be alot better when I finish the tread pattern.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the great info. I think I will pick another tire. What is a good tire to narrow? I have heard some guys talk about MGT tires, and LST tires, are there any other good options?? I had a set of LST tires on my last savage and loved them. Maybe I will go that route. Heres a pic

One more
Old 11-18-2004, 10:41 PM   #4

I have axle extenders that I got for my savage but never mounted them. If I am putting on an adapter to accept 14mm wheels, could I just put the extensions on too? That would move each wheel out an inch. Do you think they would still rub? If I have them narrowed a good bit, do you think it would still be hard to turn. I will have a hitec 645 on the front and rear...
Old 11-20-2004, 05:27 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

I think the LST would be a good choice. I've not run them but have heard nothing but good things about them. I'll probly get a set of LST's for my sons Emaxx. I've not heard of guys having to narrow them to get them to work good but it might help. The whole adapter/widener deal,I dunno if it'll work or not. If you have all the parts,try it and see. I'd say it would help with tires rubbing the links but it'll give your turning tires a bad scrub radious and it'll get worse the wider you push them out. Honestly though,in the RC relm,all it will really do is make it harder for your steering servo to turn the tires. In the 1:1 relm it makes tire wear worse and it's harder on your bearings and such. I honestly don't feal in the RC world these things are hardly worth worrying about. Making it harder for the servo to turn them though would probly shorten run times,added strain on the batteries, and probly lead to eairly breakage on the servo(maybe).

You might talk to a few guys that actually run junk ,oops,I mean Clod axles and see what they think.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote