Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Holes in wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
RWR

Default Holes in wheels

I just bought some HB Rovers and new wheels for both my and my sons Nightcrawlers. The new wheels do not have vent holes in them like the original wheels. I mounted one up and it actually holds air. Do I need to drill holes in the wheels to allow them to vent?
RWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You can drill the wheels or punch holes in the tires. Everyone has their own opinion about which way is better, but I think it mostly comes down to personal preference.

I'm running 3 3/32" holes in each of my rovers (spaced evenly), cuz I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in my mayhems, and cuz my rig stays bone dry anyway.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
LR3
Rock Crawler

I have stock Flat Irons on stock SCX10 rims and they conform to rocks brillantly after they got brocken in. Try breaking them in first to see if you actully need them to vent. I like mine unvented because water dosent get into them either
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
cherry bomb

i vent my comp crawler wheels, I don't vent scaler wheels. (scalers generaly get wet)

I don't like the idea of vented tires at all, if I bought a set of used tires that were vented i'd patch them and vent the wheels.

its all personal preferance
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have both but i only run the vented wheels on my comp rig and non vented on my scaler because of water and o nasty stuff. I understand that every one has there way , but i had some vented tires and they tore just like a blow out .
Butcherinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Take a metal coat hanger and heat it up red hot.... and melt 2 holes about 3/16" diameter in the center of the tread 180* from each other.
There is no reason to have vented wheels, vented wheels allow a bunch of crap into the tire and then it has no way to get out (water and dirt become trapped inside the tires)
With vented tires, centrifugal force will remove any water and crap in the tires.
Either way will work fine... all that matters is that they are vented so air can get out.
But IMO venting the tires is better

Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
i vent my comp crawler wheels, I don't vent scaler wheels. (scalers generaly get wet)

I don't like the idea of vented tires at all, if I bought a set of used tires that were vented i'd patch them and vent the wheels.

its all personal preferance
X2. vented Scaler wheels suck because they get wet and never dry.
Dillpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I agree on non vented scaler wheels/tires. I'm enjoying my 1.9 Baja Claws on CAC 6 Spokes with no holes. As far as holes in the tires go...never had an issue with its a lot easier on the mind to think about melting two holes in a $20 set of tires versus drilling holes in $40-$50 comp wheels. I've done it and might do it again, but like I said...the holes in the tires work really well.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
RWR

Thanks for all of the information. I wanted to figure out what I wanted to do before I started mounting the seven I have left to do. I appreciate it!
RWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The last set of comp wheels I had, I drilled and tapped them to accept M3 screws that I could put in and take out according to what I was doing or where I was running. I know though that some wheels are easier to do that with than others, but just my .02.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote