Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Foams, and how to cut them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Foams, and how to cut them.

I was cutting down the foams from my new LSTs so I can mount them on my X75s, Then an idea struck. I Thought they where a bit too soft, and wet flat with no foam, and the regular foams are too big, we all know that. Narrowed, and chopped they worked great, but I wondered if I cut them further and in an irregular pattern would they offer more grip. I did not want to pull the foams on these tires again, and pulled out my TLT 1. I boiled off the tires, and pulled out the unused foams. I noticed a difference after cutting a crenalated(spelling) patern in the foam. Cutting large voids in the foam seemed to give me the extra bite over a couple of rocks. If this sounds crazy, I am writng after two days of no sleep.
reedpowell33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2004, 07:10 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Default Re: Foams, and how to cut them.

I follow your idea,I don't know if anyones tried anything like this or not. Right now I'm running no foams at all in my Kongs and they work decent enough for me like that. I think if I ever try to run foams I'll trim them width wise naturally cuz my Kongs are now about 2 3/4" wide,give or take an 1/8". So the foam will let the tire conform better,I might try to drill holes in the foam all the way around and all the way through. I think doing this the foams will help from going flat just sitting there but the foam will colapse easily so the tire will conform easily. Weither it works or not,I don't know,it's just an idea I had floating around my head.

Something like this....................
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:52 PM   #3

That is intresting keep us posted. and if you can test the foram against the regular pattern, to find results.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:37 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

This thought has sorta crossed my mind a few times and I thought about doing it but then I got impatient and hacked them up real fast........ I guess spending months to narrow some kongs can do that to you

It is a great idea though and it's details like this that makes your crawler better than before. Cool

Since we're coming up with new ideas here....How bout putting pillow stuffing inside the tires instead of foam? It's cheap and you could adjust the amount you wanted very easily. Then you could rest your head on them after a long day's crawl!......... Ok ok, now I'm the one that needs more sleep .... :?
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:52 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

the pillow stuffing wads up too easily. martha tried it
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote