Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Underground Crawlers RC4WD/TSL spacers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
No idea what I'm doing

Default Underground Crawlers RC4WD/TSL spacers

Earlier this year, I got a set of the 2.2 Proline TSL Swampers for my 2.2 Scaler. My favorite scale wheel is the RC4WD Stamped Steelers but unfortunately they don't play well with the 2.2 Swampers.

I finally got one tire/wheel combo mounted with some help of the various tricks here on RCC but they were still too narrow. The sidewall bulge was just way off. I needed a better solution, sooo....

I wanted a spacer that not only made mounting easier, but added the width I wanted. This spacer is 1.25" wide (compared to the stock 1") which I think makes for a much better sidewall bulge.

The 6 mounting holes are threaded which means you can mount one side at a time instead of fighting the floating ring. The 6 larger holes are .5" so cutting your own brass weights is pretty simple. I mounted up 4 of these tonight and they went together extremely easily...very happy with how they turned out.

I've already decided that the 6 1/2" holes don't align well with the outside ring, so I plan to make 8 evenly spaced 3/8" holes. That way the spacer will not be visible, but 3/8" brass rod will still be easy to get an make wheel weights with. The stock screws are not long enough, so for now I'm mounting each side with 3 screws.

My 2.2 Scaler isn't finished yet so I decided to test these on my Sporty tomorrow night. No weight and scaler tires against comp tires but that's ok...should be fun anyway.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Master Rocksmith...

been waiting for product like this for a while... BRILLIANT!!! i want a set if you make them available?

if these will be selling soon, please PM me with details?
FlightInstrukta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightInstrukta View Post
been waiting for product like this for a while... BRILLIANT!!! i want a set if you make them available?

if these will be selling soon, please PM me with details?
I've been waiting too but they never showed up....necessity is the mother of invention!

I'll do a run of these if interest is there...at least 10 full sets to start.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
no talent hack

What are you thinking price wise? Maybe make the holes 9mm to use the tungsten Pinewood Derby weights?
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
Nobody

If price is reasonable I'd buy a set of 2.2's, and a set of 1.9's if you made them.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Sign me up, my favorite wheels just got better!

Do you plan to make these in 1.9 as well?!?!?!?! Would buy two sets of 1.9's right now.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-hills4x4 View Post
What are you thinking price wise? Maybe make the holes 9mm to use the tungsten Pinewood Derby weights?
One of the biggest appeals of the Steelies is price. I want to keep the price of these as low as possible, so that the cost of the wheels plus these are still lower than a comperable 2.2 beadlock.

The tungsten weights are 9mm? I was looking last night and saw them at 3/8"

http://www.derbydominator.com/Weights.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Sign me up, my favorite wheels just got better!

Do you plan to make these in 1.9 as well?!?!?!?! Would buy two sets of 1.9's right now.
I have a set of the 1.9' myself so I probably will.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
One of the biggest appeals of the Steelies is price. I want to keep the price of these as low as possible, so that the cost of the wheels plus these are still lower than a comperable 2.2 beadlock.
With that kinda thinking how could anyone not wanna be in on a set?! I always stayed away from the steelies for the sake of making them work. Count me in for a set of 2.2's
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
no talent hack

Quote:

The tungsten weights are 9mm? I was looking last night and saw them at 3/8"

http://www.derbydominator.com/Weights.htm
i have the pinewood derby brand ones and they too are listed at 3/8 but actually measure 9mm +- .1 mm. i can take pictures with a caliper measurement or mail you some to see

have you thought of making the spacer out of a more dense metal than aluminum? perhaps brass or steel? it would be nice to be able to have all the weight central in the wheel and not have to add it inside the tire
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-hills4x4 View Post
i have the pinewood derby brand ones and they too are listed at 3/8 but actually measure 9mm +- .1 mm. i can take pictures with a caliper measurement or mail you some to see

have you thought of making the spacer out of a more dense metal than aluminum? perhaps brass or steel? it would be nice to be able to have all the weight central in the wheel and not have to add it inside the tire
I ordered two sizes from the link above to get measurements off of. They should be here by Friday, but I do appreciate the offer

After I found out that I couldn't mount the Swampers on to the RC4WD wheels, I decided to use them for a Formula Off-Road scaler build. Unfortunately they are way too narrow for that. That's when I started thinking about this setup to make them wider. If they go into FOFF tires, I wouldn't want them to be too heavy. If there is enough interest in these, then brass might be an option. I'll model these up in Solidworks and get weights for each material.

I ran them on my Sporty last night. They made the truck too narrow and no weight was a problem but I really just wanted to see if they would pull the bead free. I had it bound up pretty good a few times and they held great.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Great idea I love that wheel tire combo myself. Where do I sign up?
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCrawlGood View Post
Great idea I love that wheel tire combo myself. Where do I sign up?
I picked up 5' of aluminum this morning. That's enough for about 11 sets. Once I get an exact measurement on the Tungsten weights, I'll start machining them...actually I'm going to start right away, so actually I'll finish them once I have the measurement.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Count me in on set of these. Looks like a great idea!
crawlski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Any chance you could turn out some 1.55" pieces? I need a wider option for 1.55 and I have some 1.9 TSL's that have been reduced to 1.55, but no wheels yet.
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Great idea! I'd like to see how well it looks when you make 8 holes to line up with the stamped holes in the wheels. Maybe you could even take it a step farther and machine a brake rotor 'face' into the side that shows through the wheel?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Maybe you could even take it a step farther and machine a brake rotor 'face' into the side that shows through the wheel?
Funny you should say that because I was thinking the same thing It would have to be a cover though since the spacer itself won't show once the 8 holes are machined in.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
Scale Detail Engineering

whew, I was about to put my 2.2 steelies up for sale!
Put me down for a set
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I would go out and buy a set of steelies just to get these spacers... Count me in!
vader2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Id be in for a set of those in 2.2 for the future FOFF. I have a DMG Aluminiti sitting around since I purchased your FBII.
NorZepol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Funny you should say that because I was thinking the same thing It would have to be a cover though since the spacer itself won't show once the 8 holes are machined in.
great minds think alike??

actually I've been trying to come up with a semi-safe way to use my mini lathe to make a 'spacer' for my steelies on the Willys that would add about .250 to the width and have a brake rotor 'look' to it. You've got the programming experience and the equipment to make it happen!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote