Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Scx10 SNOW Chains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #1

Smile Scx10 SNOW Chains

The Winter is coming! So i decides to prepare my scx10 singo for the first snow...
first i cleaned it and oiled the axles, i also put some grease into the transmission, -and i put some antifreeze into the cool water... ;)

i build a little 'roof' for the body of my dingo

AND for a good traction into the snow, i made some snow chains for the stock 1.9 proline wheels
i'm gonna show you now some photos of those chains
i fixed the chain pieces with small cable ties- for the 4 wheels i bought 5 meters (16.4 feet) of chains.
sry for my bad english but i m from luxemburg

click on the following link to see the images its an album on igmurgalleries.

My axial scx10 - Imgur

plz comment and share your pictures from your snow chains
thank you

Last edited by thebacitr1(scx10); 11-05-2011 at 04:22 AM.
thebacitr1(scx10) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Dude that is an awesome simple diy I never even thought of it. Looks nice too not.sloppy or anything.
foratm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I got my snow chains ready. 10 Rows per tire. SWEEEEEEET!!!!

I experimented with different type of links as well as link count.

It took several attempts to make a set that would clear the steering linkages but would not come off the tire.

I also had to keep in mind to link direction.

I purchase the link chain at home depot. The links were small enough but very strong. It required two good pliers to remove some the links and get the proper length.
Lobonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I need me some o' dem!
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

more pics of this truck please!
1natehundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

i got me some of them. i bought like 20ft of #16 jack chain and spent the afternoon making these.. i used like 17-18ft to make these.. they are for my 1.9's but im running 2.2's right now. was gonna toss the chains on run the 1.9's in the winter but i have another trailer build planned for them.
here is a few pics.

Last edited by AX10wannabe; 11-03-2011 at 11:20 PM.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobonyc View Post

I got my snow chains ready. 10 Rows per tire. SWEEEEEEET!!!!

I experimented with different type of links as well as link count.

It took several attempts to make a set that would clear the steering linkages but would not come off the tire.

I also had to keep in mind to link direction.

I purchase the link chain at home depot. The links were small enough but very strong. It required two good pliers to remove some the links and get the proper length.
yeah i hear you on that!!! first tire chain took me like 2hrs. then i finally got the assembly and mounting down to 45mins a tire. had to use 2 pairs of pliers to unhook the link.

here's a how-to thread on how i made mine.
HOW-TO: make tire chains
Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by THW View Post
Great...another project. Look great!
yup they are time consuming but are fun to make. i've offered to build a set for a friend for cheap because they are fun.. its something you can sit at the table crack open a beer turn up the tunes and start building, very easy and clean!! i'd suggest buying like 18-20ft of chain. i bought a little extra just in case one broke and i could fix it within an hour or so without having to run into town for some chain.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by THW View Post
Great...another project. Look great!

Ya sound surpried lol, there is always another project!

I was just thinking of making myself some as well for the coming snow for my 1.9's ty for the reminder lol, they look good
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Thats awesome, sweet scale look..
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:24 AM   #11

hey nice truck also nice chains! is that body from hpi and where did u get the roofpack and the winch? ans wich truck is it?
thebacitr1(scx10) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
yeah i hear you on that!!! first tire chain took me like 2hrs. then i finally got the assembly and mounting down to 45mins a tire. had to use 2 pairs of pliers to unhook the link.

here's a how-to thread on how i made mine.
HOW-TO: make tire chains
Oh damn, i forgot about the time it took. 2hrs is way good

I think i spent many days trying to get the first tire. I made two sets with different sized links. One set had big links that looked way off scale.

The second set were smaller but still of out scale and the links had sharp edges. Not safe at all.

I found a smaller and stronger link size at Home Depot. They had no edges. The links are shaped in figure-eight so link direction was important. if not then one row but be tighter than the next even though each row has same number of links.

I had them done maybe a week later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebacitr1(scx10) View Post
hey nice truck also nice chains! is that body from hpi and where did u get the roofpack and the winch? ans wich truck is it?
Thanks.

The roof rack is made by Proline. The little sleep bags i got from RPP, two are homemade and the camo-rope was boot/shoe string. The Bulldog winch i got from RPP as well. Oh BTW the speakers in the back were from staples Love me some tunes while driving around.
Lobonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #13
RCC Addict

think i used #16 jack chain (looks like a figure and they hook up really well. the chains found their way to the work bench today so they will be a little bigger to wrap around my 2.2's this winter.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I found nickel coated lamp chain at Canadian Tire that looks exactly like 1:1 tire chain...VERY scale looking. I think it was $1.95 a foot, and I used 20 feet to do four ripsaws.
I want them to last, so I closed all the links I opened up and re-soldered them, except for a few on the back so I can take them on and off.
I started building another set using a strip of door sweep ( the edging off the bottom of a storm door...a fine, wire bristle). I cut down the bristle length to a 1/4 in. and cut the stripping into 1/4 in. strips. I think if I can make them work, they should be good on ice...hundreds of sharp wire points.
I studded a pair of tires for my Baja a couple of years ago with small bolts....if I can find a source of really small stainless bolts and nuts that won't cost an arm and a leg, I have a set of "donor" tires that willl get the stud treatment. Studding is awesome, but really time-consuming.
It took most of a weekend to do two baja tires
YYCADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
RCC Addict

ya $1.95 a foot is a little too expensive for me!!! i'll take that 40 bucks, buy me some jack chain and a case of beer with the rest!!! i bought my jack chain from canadian tire for $.81 a foot.

im in the process of making my chains bigger to fit 2.2's. its time consuming though..

Tags
snow, winter