Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: My review: Upgrading SCX10 from R35 Ripsaw to RC4WD X2-SS IROK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My review: Upgrading SCX10 from R35 Ripsaw to RC4WD X2-SS IROK

Many of you out there probably have an SCX10 and are wondering if a tire upgrade is really worth it. The R35 1.9 Ripsaws are no doubt a superb tire, especially when considering they come in a RTR truck (also the kit). I heard that RC4WD had released a new compound of tire since I last had a scale truck, so I figured I'd pickup a set and compare the two.

My Honcho is in RTR trim, save for several ounces of weight added to the front tires, a Spektrum rx/radio, and a new truck cab. It should be noted that in my several weeks with the new Honcho I've never had a problem with the Ripsaws. They've taken to everything with no problem at all. I wanted the RC4WD's because they look completely badass and offer a tad bit more ground clearance. I've also never owned a set of RC4WD tires, so now that they had the X2-SS compound I figured I should take the plunge.

My first impression upon opening the IROKs was WOW! The scale look of these things are off the chart. I work in a 4x4 shop where we sell full scale Swampers, Claws, etc and they are spot on. The second thing I noticed (right after the pungeant odor!) was these bad boys were sticky. Stick icky, even. They felt slightly stickier than the R35 'saws. Those side lugs looked like they would just reach up and grab you. I mounted them on a set of Walker Evans wheels with about 3 oz of weight in each.

Mounting them up dramatically changed the look of my truck. It went from looking like a cool trail rig to having the appearance of a Mickey Thompson TTC machine. I only had 1 oz of weight in my Ripsaws, so I now had an even bigger front weight bias with my weighted IROKS.

To compare the size of the Ripsaw to IROK here is my truck with the Ripsaws first, and then with the raised profile of the IROKs second.

Upon getting off work, I excitedly took my truck to my local park for some trail and creek driving. Nothing like testing out a rig on wet, slick rock to see how new tires worked! The results of the test can be seen in this short video I shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIAAL...ature=youtu.be

The IROKs had so much grip that you can see my truck actually flip over a big rock in it's way, and this is while the tires were soaked and on mossy wet rock! The increased ground clearance combined with the killer compound/tread pattern made an already brutish truck into an absolute beast.

The tires also clean themselves off very well. I'm going to have to upgrade to aluminum 4 link/steering now though, as the heavier/bigger rubber does cause a bit of axle wrap/slop but this isn't the tires fault.

TL;DR
The Axial R35 Ripsaws are a fine tire, but if you want to kick it up a notch I totally recommend the IROK in the X2-SS compound. It's a tad bit stickier, a bit taller, and whole lot cooler looking. The difference isn't night and day per se, but more like night and late-dawn!

Last edited by thisdougsforu; 08-16-2012 at 09:31 AM.
thisdougsforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: My review: Upgrading SCX10 from R35 Ripsaw to RC4WD X2-SS IROK

i run both the 1.9 and 2.2s and LOVE them.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I run the 1.9's as well and don't plan on taking them off anytime soon. Love em.
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I ran a set on a 1.9 Wraith for a while and I was very impressed with em. Prob. the best 1.9's I have ever used...
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I have the 2.2's on my creeper and want a set for my Scx-10
01_DiscoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #6

I was mulling this over a few weeks ago. But I ended up just boiling the Ripsaws off the stock rims and threw them on Axial beadlocks. I still would love a pair of these tires... They look sick on your ride.
AxialSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

An update from my original post. I've worked these tires over now for the last month and they are just getting better and better. I couldn't recommend them enough. Here is what my rig looks like now.

Great job RC4WD!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

RTR's don't come with the R35 compound, they come with the stiffer compound. But either way your iroks look bad ass!
taco08jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I just ordered a set of Mayhem Eng. Monster's for my SCX10 - these tyres would look totally bada$$ mounted up on those wheels!

Thanks for the informative review. I swapped out my rtr tyres/wheels about a month or so ago for a set of Axial BL's and proline Flat Iron's - so far a very nice tire. Not a big fan of the Axial BL's though, which is why I'm getting the Monster's.

Cheers,
Todd
doc.hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco08jk View Post
RTR's don't come with the R35 compound, they come with the stiffer compound. But either way your iroks look bad ass!
My RTR came with white dot R35 Ripsaws.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

How well have those tires held up? Just got the new SCX10 JK Rubicon and I'm looking at a set of Iroks to run on it. How soft are the stock foams and do they allow good sidewall flex?

This is my first crawler and this is all a bit overwhelming. I came from old school nitro so this is all new to me.

Thanks
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10 JK View Post
How well have those tires held up? Just got the new SCX10 JK Rubicon and I'm looking at a set of Iroks to run on it. How soft are the stock foams and do they allow good sidewall flex?

This is my first crawler and this is all a bit overwhelming. I came from old school nitro so this is all new to me.

Thanks
I need to write a full follow up to this. I wound up selling the tire beccause they just dont grip as well as Pitbulls. Id definitely recommend the pits over these.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10 JK View Post

Thanks
You don't like the stock Maxxis Trepador tires on the JK? They are super sticky.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

how well did these clean out compared to the ripsaws? i found with even a lot of wheelspin its hard to get the ripsaws cleaned out. Considering new tires, and these were up on the top of my list until you said you switched. also how do ur pitbulls clean out compared to both
XJrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The IROK's cleaned out just fine but the Pit Bulls clean out great as well and are in my opinion superior in almost every way (the 1.9 pits are a tad shorter than the IROK but they are still plenty tall for a 1.9) and are now the best 1.9 and 2.2 tire.

The one negative against the Pitbull is that they don't fit very well on RC4wd rims. To get mine to work on the steel OEM's I had to CA glue them into the bead, otherwise they would just slip out.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I'm glad you wrote this post, because I was STRONGLY considering IROKS for my Comp-Cut TJ build just started. I was curious between the IROKS and PitBulls which are btter. It sounds overwhelmingly on this forum that PitBulls are the way to go.
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the follow up. I took your advice
And ordered a set of pit bulls.
XJrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

After running both the Trepadors and the Iroks they both work great but each has their own characteristics that works best. Both great tires though. Now I want to try them against the Pitbulls.
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I've been running the Trepadors on trails and in comps since January and find them to be a great tire. I like them much more then the IROKs. I have a set of Pitbulls on order right now so I'm going to compare them to that!
Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

i felt the same I luved the look of the iroks and told my self ill never get rid of it but I have my own back yard course and a couple of my rock whill climbs are made out smooth slipper rock which the iroks for the life of it could not make it up when wet. tried a set of pitbulls and it made it look easy. I ended up selling the iroks :( and now never will take off the pitbulls unless I what to slap on my fatty tsl..
zion23 is offline   Reply With Quote

My review: Upgrading SCX10 from R35 Ripsaw to RC4WD X2-SS IROK - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ripsaw R35 Foam BrianP Tires and Wheels 5 04-26-2014 07:20 PM