Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: A question for the sidewall shavers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default A question for the sidewall shavers...

I needed a distraction today, so I started shaving some Chisel sidewalls. I used a Dremel with a 60 grit sanding drum (it had been used some, so maybe it was more like 80-100 grit). Unlike most people, I didn't use the slow setting. I cranked that sumbeotch up and moved the sanding drum over the sidewall with quick movements, so the rubber wouldn't gum up. The tires were already mounted on Axial wheels. It came out nicely with no gouges or strange lines. I did the whole outside of the tire and "debadged", if you will, the inner side of the tire. I did the inside of the tire just to add a little sidewall flex, and I'm not sponsored by Pro Line, so I don't need to show off what brand tires I'm running.

I'm wondering if most of you sidewall shavers out there do the inside of the tire as well? If yes, why? I was told by one of the local comp guys that if you shave the sidewalls, it can help you stick a line because your tread lugs wont push you away from the rock. I did it for that reason and to add some flex to the tire. However, it seems like you shouldn't shave the inside because it could help grab while turning in an off camber climb situation. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Dini; 09-16-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Dini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: A question for the sidewall shavers...

I think when people shave the inside, they're focusing more on the internal ridges that stiffen up the tire. Other than the ridges the insides are already smooth. Look inside a tire and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I've seen those little ridges that you are talking about. I wasn't worried about shaving those down. I'm just doing the outside sidewalls. Isn't that what most people do? When I said inside sidewall, I meant the axle side of the tire, not the actual inside of the tire.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Do both sidewalls, to make the tire carcass overall thinner and more pliable. That is one of the goals of the sidewall shaving.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Another reason to shave the sidewalls is so that when you get hung in a hole the sidewalls lugs will pull you in deeper and with them shaved you can throttle thru it.
wildmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I will do both then. Do they need to be really smooth? As I mentioned above, I am using 60 grit. They still come out fairly smooth though. Pics on the way.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Don't have to be perfect, they'll wear in.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I am curious about this too! I am building my first comp crawler and was wondering what I should do to my sedona tires as far as shaving them?
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

i did the comp claws on my xr,sipped em too seems to have helped em work better
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLERJOE View Post
I am curious about this too! I am building my first comp crawler and was wondering what I should do to my sedona tires as far as shaving them?
My build thread has some pics. Others have taken Sedona's further down. Play with it and find your sweet spot.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I ran a set of boss claws with both sides shaved front and rear, what I have found that works best for me is to shave the rear tires both sides inside and out. Now the fronts I shave the internal part on both sides on both tires, but on the external I only shave one side of each tire, then mount them so that the side lugs are to the inside. Those sidelugs give you better pulling traction when pulling yourself over a ledge. Just as you stated above. I shave the crap out of my tires to make them nice and soft, but I can pull better lines when I leave the lugs on the inside fronts. I have literally ran them both ways one after the other on the same lines and found quite a difference when I left the inside fronts on.

If you haven't already done it, leave one sidewall on two of them. Then run a few lines with the pair that's shaved on both sides up front. Then pull your wheels off and swap the front and rear so you now have the pair shaved on one side. Make sure the lug side is on the inside, then run those same lines again and see if they are different. The cool thing is that if I'm just a bone head that's totally wrong, you just go and shave the two sides you left. But, if I'm right and you already did it, well you have to buy another pair to find out!

Last edited by Tgreer; 09-19-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

That is exactly the info I was hoping to find here. Thank you. I thought the inner lugs on the front tires would help on ledges. You are right though, pretty tough to unshave your tires
Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmike View Post
Another reason to shave the sidewalls is so that when you get hung in a hole the sidewalls lugs will pull you in deeper and with them shaved you can throttle thru it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
If you haven't already done it, leave one sidewall on two of them. Then run a few lines with the pair that's shaved on both sides up front.
wildmike's statement is one reason I did mine, Tgreer's idea is good to try, depending on your rock you may like it or end up taking more. I started with inner lugs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
Others have taken Sedona's further down.
and ended up here:

They may or may not get frequently patched with ib2000 to keep them together...
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Damn, you weren't messing around. The pile of rubber on your floor is what my shirt looked like after only shaving a few tires. I'm wondering if I should come up and over the outside shoulders of the tires as you did?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so I dismounted a set of my chisels to find they have no ribs across the main part of the casing. Only small ribs by the bead. Are those worth shaving also?

Tags
shave, shaved, sidewall, sidewalls

A question for the sidewall shavers... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want more sidewall flex, school me how RiceBurner Tires and Wheels 7 07-16-2012 09:08 AM
Tire sidewall roll over Quartermaster Axial Wraith 0 01-05-2012 08:52 AM
Stiff sidewall 1.9? kikcaffine Tires and Wheels 5 10-22-2010 02:34 PM