Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Vaterra TSL pics and impressions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

I was also very pleased with my first run on these tires... they climbed everything I pointed them at with relative ease. Some loose dirt hills, wet rocks, mossy rocks, they were very impressive! And I got them bound up a couple times and the beads held great all day long...no issues at all..the stock dual stage foams seem to be just right under my wraith.
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2014, 04:09 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Vaterra TSL pics and impressions

Thanks for putting this all together. I'm anxious to try out the taller TSL's when my Ascender gets here.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Great write up!
snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

I got the pl 2.2 xl. In my first snow run in my yard, they have ridiculous traction and don't balloon as much as the stockers. I have a back porch where the stockers couldn't ever do it, one try with these bad boys
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:56 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

NEW TIRES: Vaterra Interco Super Swamper TSL

Got my new tires in today, WOW these thing are insane!! They were a little difficult to mount on the axial beadlocks however they mounted up to the Proline titus a little easier. I think it's the dual stage foam being quite wide that makes it difficult to mount.

The compound of them feels brilliant as well, sticky and pliable. The dual stage foams are decent as well which is great

The size is perfect in my opinion, the diff clearance is a big plus. Also with them being a larger diameter, the low speed control is so much better.

Overall I am super happy with them and can't wait to try them out on the trail.

Comparison to Proline TSL.

Aggressive side wall

On the truck mounted to axial 1.9 beadlocks

I had to test them. I was expecting them to be slipping a sliding but NO!! These things climbed it better in the wet than the Proline TSL's did in the dry!! Absolutely no wheel spin, the truck walked right up

A little bit of trimming is going to be needed but I expected there would be. I have some Gmade sr02 should be here either tomorrow or Monday so I will post up pictures of the tires on them and how hard/easy there were to mount up

Here's the build thread for the truck if anyone is interested Axial SCX10 Jeep Chero-Manche
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Got my Gmade SR02's today, fantastic quality and super easy to mount the tires to once I perfected the technique. Took no longer than 5-10 minutes per corner.

Even lip all the way round
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Recently got Vaterra TSL tires. Having hard time mounting them on rims because of their huge beads. No success yet(
Do those tires fit good on Axail beadlocks?

I also noticed central lugs on Vaterra tires are not cut through unlike Proline. Could result in poor performance.

update
Vaterra TSL tires do fit Axial beadlock wheels

Last edited by nersik; 03-02-2015 at 02:56 AM.
nersik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

I've got the Vaterra TSL's, tires and wheels from the ascender mounted up on my axial scx10 jeep rubicon. Love the way they look and work. They just clear the front flares at full stuff. If I could post pics I would
mulchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Im running the tsls on my twin hammers that came with the kit, an love them, I teamed them up with some crawler innovation closed cell foams for the tsl xls. And they work awesome. CI foams are stiffer an waterproof, stock foams are ok, really soft for my liking, and break down quickly from water an for me binded the tire up in certain situations. But work good all around. Still need to do some testing with new foams. hopfully they perform better on the softer hill climbs, which was having issues with.
sherman918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Here is a set of the Preproduction (left) and production versions on the right. I don't have the proline set anymore as I borrowed those.

LIke I said, i'll dig deeper into this. We/I don't want a proprietary fit, we really want these to work on as many 1.9 wheel offerings out there so rest assured i'll check into this.
6 months since your last comment on this thread...any update on your tire bead problem findings? Has this been fixed yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Just in case someone misses it, the Slick Rock tire compound is completely different from the Swampers that are included with the Twin Hammers kit and Ascender kit. I't been noted in this great write up, but some of us tend to skip info from time to time

Thanks,
Yes, some of us tend to skip info from time to time. Update please.

Last edited by Natedog; 02-04-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #31

Quick Question:
Should the Ascender Swampers fit on the RC4WD PRO10 1.9 STEEL STAMPED BEADLOCK WHEELs?
Thanks!
cen0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cen0 View Post
Quick Question:
Should the Ascender Swampers fit on the RC4WD PRO10 1.9 STEEL STAMPED BEADLOCK WHEELs?
Thanks!
ok, i will answer myself
yes it works, just went through it.

cen0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cen0 View Post
ok, i will answer myself
yes it works, just went through it.

Great vendor support, thanks to Rich Trujillo, Vaterra, and HorizonHobby for helpiing us out.

Cen0, thanks for update, hope the vendor finally fixed their non-standard junk.

EDIT: Those wheels looks sweet btw! I love the stamped steel wheels with seperate hubs, I've had great luck with the Hot Racing version in 8-hole black and white versions 1.9 and 2.2.

Last edited by Natedog; 02-04-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #34

Hey guys! I mounted the XS Swampers on the Vaterra Beadlocks of the Twin Hammers kit. As I am not happy enough with it I am searching for a recommendation of other Beadlocks which fit the thick beads. Furthermore the question if you recommend to cut a bit of the foam off. When readin the threat I think the question should fit here. Thanks in advance for any useful feedback.
Thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:54 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Finally got my Vaterra TSLs mounted to my Gmade SR02 wheels. HOLY CRAP. This is a nice looking tire. I wanted an aggressive 1.9 without going so big that it looked oversized. I think I nailed it with these tires. They are just a TINY bit taller than the stock Trepadors, but are about 1/2" wider. The foams are 10x better than the stock Axial foams. I can't wait to run these!
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #36
Sr. Product Developer

Sorry guys that I didn't respond sooner. The beads are different obviously from others. This bead was a carry over from our original tires and our wheels were designed around that. Unfortunately for some of you, we will not be changing the bead on these. I wish i had better news for everyone
Depending on the wheels you use, you may need to trim the bead a little inside. I have only used our wheels and Vanquish which have been ok for me. Sorry i have not used all the other brands.

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:40 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

these tires look killer stretched onto some cheap RPM 2.2 Revolvers btw!

Dextroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

To come full circle from my original post, these tires are still kicking. Fully broken in, and performing great! Love the size, perfect on my Deadbolt. Dual stage foams are working well, and the compound is wearing nicely. Hard to see maybe in the first pic below, but the lugs are rounding off nicely and hooking up like a TSL SS design should.

To get around the bead issue, I glued them to a lightweight set of wheels - that thick bead comes in handy when gluing anyway. No rips, tears, or any other issues.

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Since these tires have such a large bead do you think they will mount on the ProLine Titus wheels? The Hobbytown near me will cut me a deal on 4 wheels. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
mulchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

They will mount just fine.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Vaterra TSL pics and impressions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honcho with tsl boggers pics nickvb1996 Axial SCX-10 20 04-22-2011 07:49 PM